ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What style stock do you prefer? Monte Carlo, standard.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Currently I have a monte carlo on my shotgun but I have been reading that for my short neck it might not be ideal and that most like me prefer a standard stock shape.

Wondering what most of you prefer and have found that works better.

Also does an adjustable comb on a standard stock have the ability to mimic a monte carlo style?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: What style stock do you prefer? Monte Carlo, standard...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
If you compare trap guns that are available with both standard and monte carlo stock cnfiguations, you will generally find that drop at comb is the same, but drop at heel is greater with the monte carlo. Many shooters find that increased drop at heel more comfortable, regardless of build. I know I do.

You could mimic a monte carlo by raising an adjustable comb, but you will need to also add a taller rib. (I have done it.) Unless you want a very tall rib, I think a better way is to install and adjustable butt plate and lower the pad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, the one gun I am looking at (Citori CX) has a straight stock but guess if it is an issue I could add an adjustable plate for short money

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Of course a “straight” stock isn’t the same as what one would consider “standard”. I’m not sure what you mean by “straight”.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will not own a shotgun with a Monte Carlo style stock simply because I cannot abide the looks of them. If I need comb height, I’ll get an adjustable comb. In my view, MC stocks belong on rifles. Again, just my opinion!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
I will not own a shotgun with a Monte Carlo style stock simply because I cannot abide the looks of them. If I need comb height, I’ll get an adjustable comb. In my view, MC stocks belong on rifles. Again, just my opinion!

I like them, cheek pieces on the other hand I don’t like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:39 am 
Field Grade

All of my current O/U shotguns have a Monte Carlo stock and the last three have adjustable combs. Unlike the OP I have a longer neck to go with my taller, lean build with wider shoulders. My first trap gun was a Miroku Charles Daly trap with Monte Carlo as well and I still have it. Used it for everything over the years including dove and crow shooting.

As always, the best way to determine which fits best and you like best is to try them out from fellow shooters if that is possible.

Unlike another poster, I think the Monte Carol adds to the looks of an O/U shotgun, but dislike them on rifles. Old style Weatherby rifles with California styling and Monte Carlo stocks? Ugh, No thanks. Personal opinions only on looks in shotguns, women, cars and many other things in life.

Good luck with your choice and may you shoot it in good health.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

I think the main advantage of Monte Carlo style stocks is that because of the high comb, your head is more upright when the gun is shouldered and you are less likely to lift your head in anticipation to recoil because, well, it's already lifted. Also, because your neck is straighter, the recoil does not drive your cheek into the stock, which leads to head lifting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Late 19th century and early 20th century shotguns had severe drop at the heel: sometimes in excess of 3 inches. These guns were properly shot by holding your head more upright. Very awkward in my opinion

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Of course a “straight” stock isn’t the same as what one would consider “standard”. I’m not sure what you mean by “straight”.

I did an internet search and I saw both straight and standard used for stocks and thought they were interchangeable, monte carlo has the drop at the back top and figured that was what they were comparing to standard/straight which is straight across the top. Now that I look harder I see some use it to refer to the different grip type also..guess what I meant was straight comb

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... %20trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess the terminology is fluid, my reference to a “straight stock” is one that has little or no drop at the heel. A stock W/O a pistol grip I refer to as “English”. Maybe I’ve been wrong all this time.

Upon reflection I should be saying “straight comb”.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

If you want to break trap targets consistently, it requires a consistent mount that delivers the pattern (POI) above the point of aim. Unless really lucky, or having a custom stock made, that requires an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the Monte Carlo about the same thing as putting a pad adjuster on a regular combed stock and dropping the pad 1/2 inch?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

I like 3+"s of drop on all my old SxSs. Yes, you shoot with a up right head - the gun mounts more to the jaw. As said, it does stop the head lifting, it's already up. The down side is the muzzles want to recoil more upward with a lot of DAH and the cheek of the stock will hit your face more. I only shoot 7/8 or 3/4oz loads in my 12s. But then that's cheaper on the wallet also.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

bozack wrote:
Thanks, the one gun I am looking at (Citori CX) has a straight stock but guess if it is an issue I could add an adjustable plate for short money

I have the same Citori CX and dropped the recoil pad by about 1 1/2". Made a world of difference in the comfort and 'natural-feeling' of the gun. You might try it.