ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Micro BT-99: 30 or 32 inch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 pm 
Field Grade

I have been shooting with a BT-99 for a while now. My wife has been using a general purpose youth size, 20G Mossberg Super Bantam. She is rather petite. I would like to get her a 12G trap gun so the micro BT-99 is an obvious choice.

What I am unclear on is how to choose between the 30 or 32 inch barrel.

For that matter, when I bought my BT-99, I chose the 32" version knowing there was also a 34" version. But I can't claim I chose based on any solid reasoning.

So how does one correctly chose the barrel length?

Can't really "try them on" since no local stores have them. Besides, length doesn't really get in to the whole "fit" thing.

So based on something (hopefully all the forthcoming great replies ). I have to "take my best shot" (pun intended) at length.

Post subject: Re: Micro BT-99: 30 or 32 inch
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrel length choice is preference. Or resale, longer barrels retain value and sell better, especially setting on a short frame. It is about sighting distance and your perception of gun movement as it relates to timing. Again, point and trigger timing has developed through experience. Full circle, personal preference.

We can change preferences by developing new by experience.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Barrel length choice is preference.

Understood but personal preference requires trying both which isn't feasible. Also, my wife is pretty much a beginner so she won't have the skill level needed to have a well founded personal preference. My sense is to go with the 30" but your comment on resale value gives pause for thought..

It would be nice to see the balance point for both. I did some additional research which suggested that longer barrels might be "barrel heavy" with a shortened stock. Impossible to know without having both in hand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 am 
Utility Grade

According to the Browning website, there is only 1 ounce difference between the 30" and 32" models, so balance should not be an issue. ...Specs show 7lbs 12ozs vs. 7lbs 13 ozs.

The 32" may have an advantage with the longer sighting plane and higher resale value.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Balance is also personal preference.....developed by experience and confirmed by breaking targets to good scores. Whatever your wife picks up new to shoot, the only thing that will be important is gun fit. Especially LOP. Small lady - small weight gun still puts her in 20 ga. load volume delivered by a 12 ga. Recoil will be the next issue from a 7# gun.

Then again .... she will get used to the new platform fit or not, but not recoil that hurts. Worry more about gun fit, less about barrel length. Fit is the key to your ladies success and continued participation. Be sure the pad adjusts "toe out". Pay extra to have a quality recoil pad replace the factory pad, recoil mechanism or not. Whatever you can do to make the gun comfortable and gentle will be important.

If you do this for her and not for yourself, be mentally prepared to getting your butt kicked at the score sheet. Could be an ego thing. :wink:

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OH! almost forgot the next step to perfection.

Gun fits.....good. Move on to POI setting. There is a magical point of impact for all of us.

That is where your subconscious triggers the firearm by sight picture and the shot pattern is delivered center target. Leaving the outside edges of periphery pellets and the edge of the hot center core to compensate for human error. In other words....the gun will be forgiving.

So....when others say. Aw, ya will get to know where the gun shoots. Just smile and say that good for you, but I want perfection because competitive clay target shooting is about perfection. Most all the competitive games are one target games. You win or lose by one target, even in shoot-offs.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input. Again, gun fit is difficulty when you can't go in to a store and hold the different choices.

I've learned something about recoil. Before the BT-99 for myself, I bought an Ethos Sport which has a bunch of recoil reducing features. The simple fact is that the BT-99 (which has no recoil reduction features other than more weight) is kinder to my shoulder. Neither hurts to shoot, but with the Ethos, I was developing a sore neck and should blade. That went away when I started primarily shooting the BT-99. I can shoot the BT-99 for six rounds and feel nothing the next day. That wasn't true with the Ethos.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

No one at your club has one that she could borrow or try out? Offer them a box of Gold Nitro for their troubles?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:25 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
No one at your club has one that she could borrow or try out? Offer them a box of Gold Nitro for their troubles?

No one has a Micro (that I know of). People at the club are very friendly and would let her try without a box of ammo. One of the lady regulars shoots with a standard BT99. I can ask around though. Maybe someone has a Micro.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Consider this......If no gun fitter is available. Learn to be your own gun fitter for a lifetime. There are excellent books available. One of the posters here has a fit book available, Rollin will post back to help you. The other book I like is Jeff Meloy's book "Understanding Shotgun stocks". This is not rocket science and very important to all of us shooting clay targets or hunting. There is great confidence in understanding gun fit and LOP setting.

Others may find out of your new talent and ask for help. You must decide to help or who to help. Its always a great discussion subject at the club or when visiting with friends. But.... you will be popular with your wife and shooting buddies.

Good luck......Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

The balance point for HER is extremely important. A barrel heavy gun causes the shooter to lean back instead of forward causing even more recoil fatigue . Gun weight is less important than stance. If necessary weight can be added to the. Butt stock to add balance and recoil reduction. Next fitting to her particular body profile is also important for point of aim and recoil comfort. A hot spot on the shoulder pocket or a mouse under the eye will definitely cause a flinch or raising the head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

"weight can be added to the. Butt "

Yes, tell your wife to add weight to her butt and see how that works out for you. :lol: