ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap machines
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've been involved in trap shooting now for almost 2 years, shooting just once a week. The club where I started out and do most of my shooting uses a Promatic trap capable of wobble and doubles, but set most of the time for std singles. They should have named their company "Problematic", but that's for another post. I've joined ATA and have attended some matches at other clubs the use PAT traps. Now, it seems to me that on the fields using PAT traps that every target thrown is indexed so that at least one of the 5 stations gets a straight-away for every target thrown and that every target takes one of 5 paths. Is that correct? With the Promatic trap, it can and will throw a target at seemingly many more angles along the 40 degree arc of oscillation, such that, a target can be thrown that is not a true straight-away for any shooter.

Has anyone here shot on a field with a Promatic trap throwing such a varied array of targets? Or, do all the other trap machines throw their targets at any and all angles and I'm all wet here.

Post subject: Re: Trap machines
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

twohigh wrote:
Now, it seems to me that on the fields using PAT traps that every target thrown is indexed so that at least one of the 5 stations gets a straight-away for every target thrown and that every target takes one of 5 paths. Is that correct?

There are definitely more than 5 paths thrown on the trap field. From the ATA rulebook:

ATA Rule Book wrote:
A. TRAP MACHINE
A trap machine, which throws targets at an unknown angle, shall be used. All trap machines used to throw ATA registered targets shall be so manufactured, modified, or equipped as to interrupt irregularly the oscillation of the trap or otherwise assure the unpredictability of the flight of substantially all targets thrown.

Each gun club that throws ATA registered targets must have on file in the ATA main offices a signed Affidavit that the trap machines used to throw registered targets meet the requirements of this rule. The State/Provincial ATA Delegate is responsible for the enforcement of this Rule.

The targets can be thrown anywhere within 17 degrees left and right the centerline of the field. Technically a target can be thrown anywhere within 27 degrees in either direction from the centerline for it not to be considered illegal.

Note on traps:

Traps are mechanical. If they were not put in correctly or maintained poorly, its not the fault of the trap. Not saying that's what you are dealing with, but its what I unfortunately have to deal with a lot... which is why I bought my own trap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

zxcvbnm wrote:
Note on traps:

Traps are mechanical. If they were not put in correctly or maintained poorly, its not the fault of the trap. Not saying that's what you are dealing with, but its what I unfortunately have to deal with a lot... which is why I bought my own trap.

Thanks for your reply. The places I shot ATA matches just seemed so much easier than shooting at the place where I recreationally/practice. Everyone who shoot ATA shoots below their average at this club with the Promatic trap. It could have to do with background which is a wooded hill.

This Promatic trap is only 6 years old and has been well maintained and used only one day a week. Maybe in a few weeks I'll tell that story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

At the club where I shoot regularly, there is a GMV Super Star and a Pat machine.

The GMV Super Star throws more hard rights and hard lefts than the Pat trap.

The GMV uses a rotary motion to create the side-to-side oscillation and there is a certain amount of dwell time at the extreme angles.

In contrast, the Pat trap uses a linear motion to create the oscillation, and there is almost no dwell time at the extreme angles.

Both machines utilize interrupters to randomize the target presentations, but the chances of getting a hard right or hard left is greater when shooting behind the GMV Super Star.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot 14 different clubs within 200 miles (4 states) and several major out of state shoots each year. Most all clubs use PAT traps in the Midwest. Including the club I help with. I can only think of one using GMV and that is Marsheltown IA and maybe Stockdales's at Iowa Falls, IA. Dale throws great targets, just not on PATs.

M-town is my least favorite place to shoot based on lowest scores. I would say the OP's observations are right on the mark.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

While shooting the Westy Hogan match at PSSA in PA a couple weeks ago I was on a squad of fast shooters and we got in a rhythm where for 4 consecutive shots we all got the same target. I got 4 straight-aways, the shooter to my left got 4 hard lefts and the shooter to my right got 4 hard rights. The other 2 shooters got the same targets as well. We all laughed about it later and I got lucky.

The Promatic uses a rotary motion and it seems to throw lots of little and more varied angles instead of straight-aways. A couple weeks ago I stood behind station 3 and watched another squad shoot. Out of all 125 targets thrown, the shooter on 3 got only one true straight-away. They got lots of targets with little angles where one needs to shoot at the inside or outside edge of the target. The problem I have is I sometimes see those little angled shots as true straight-away shots and miss. I shot 200 targets at the PSSA club using PAT traps and never once got a target like those and got plenty of true straight-away shots. They were either true straight-aways or obviously angled targets. At the club with the Promatic trap I struggle to break 22 and my scores are inconsistent. At other clubs my scores are more consistent in the 22-25 range. Example: the week before I went to another club and broke 73/75 and I'm currently carrying a 93.6 avg in my ATA matches at new fields. I'm not alone, the other more experienced ATA shooters also shoot well below their averages at this club with the Promatic machine and say, "If you can shoot well here, you can shoot well anywhere.