ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 TC trap question.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 pm 
Field Grade

in the near futue, I am going to recieve a 870 (TC ibelieve) trap..

The gun has a stock on it with an extreamly long lenght of pull. I cant shoulder it. I am a common build guy. about 5'8" short stubby arms, smallhead!

What i would like to do, is cut the stock to fit me. I would also like to alter it, so it doesnt have the "built in" compensation for a rising bird..

whats your opinions on this?

I am somewhat profiecient at woodwork.. Is this something a person can do themselves? If not, will the work involved cost me more than the gun is worth?

i will probably never sell the gun. It will be in my stable till I croak.. im old.. planning on circling the drain soon..

Thanks in advance..

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 TC trap question.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the stock is original to the gun and in good shape, don't cut it, buy another one and put it on to cut, keep the original one original.

The ""built in" compensation for a rising bird.." is a function of the barrel as much as it is the stock. If you want a gun that shoots dead flat, you'll need to replace the stock AND the barrel.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:21 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you..

I do not believe the stock is original.. Its lenght of pull is really long.. I can not shoulder it.. A 6 foot tall long armed gorilla friend of mine, who, when he purchases guns, has to have custom stocks made to replace the original,, He can not shoulder it either..

What difference in that trap barrel vs a stock 870's field barrel, that compensates for a rising bird? Are you talking RIB?

Thanks again for the time you took to answer..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:27 pm 
Field Grade

I was under the impression, the gun shooting high, is a result of a high comb? I thought, maybe rasping off that hight a bit, will make is shoot flat..

I could live with the gun shooting high.. however,, If I am to keep this gun, something has to be done with LOP..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

if you like woodworking I say go for it.

I assume you are talking about getting rid of the Monte Carlo portion of the stock, that should be easy.

As to the length, put some painters tape around the stock, tight. Use an adjustable sled on the table saw, it doesn’t need to be fancy, mine is pretty simple. Butt the stock up against a board secured to the fence short of the blade by a good amount. Set the angle of the sled and go. Have a sharp fine toothed blade in. I put a towel down on the sled. The sled is key.

I would be tempted to simply use a rasp to reduce the Monte Carlo portion. Your not going to save enough time using a bandsaw to amount to much. You’ll have to rasp the comb to get a nice round top anyway.

But yes, a new stock would be pretty easy and wouldn’t cost a ton, especially if you sold your old one, you might even come out ahead. A TC stock is nice wood, might have to sell the forearm also..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 pm 
Field Grade

I found this picture in another thread..

If you look at second gun down, a trap gun with a high straight comb. (remington model 31Trap). You can see the difference compared to the other two The Trap stock, the comb stays pretty much parallel to the rib. There isnt a differece in dimension at drop at comp, and drop at heel..

If I simply rasped of a little bit of the height of that comb, with a taper downward, giving drop at heel, would that lower my POINT of impact?

A bit of artwork for sure, but just take small amounts at a time, and shoot to try it out at a board,,and targets..

One of the saws in my shop is a Vintage DeWalt radial arm saw in perfect tune. I can match any angle. New 80 tooth crosscut blade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It depends on what you're presently seeing on the rib. Sure, lowering the comb will lower the POI, but you can only lower the comb so much before you can't see the rib or beads anymore and are looking at the back of the receiver.

The impact of a barrel itself will be a function of the straightness of the barrel and the angle of the rib. You could easily have a gun that is shooting 15" high while you see FLAT down the rib. You will need to spend some time with a patterning board to see where your gun shoots and if the POI needs to be lowered, once you take wood off you can't put it back.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have you patterned it yet? That will tell you a lot about what has to be done. The LOP change will also, most likely, change the POI.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cut the stock to fit, LOP and comb height, consider adjustable comb hardware and or pad adjuster. If to be used for trap you will want a higher POI by rib angle and comb height. If repurposing from trap to field it would be easier to replace the stock and barrel to a factory field configuration. Actually.... I would sell the trap and buy a field model. The TC was a specific trap design.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thank You all.. I appreciate the opinions here.. Thanks again..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I once made a muzzle loading trap gun. Traced around my BT-99 and used the pattern to cut out a stock from a hunk of maple, then used a 4' [ yes 4 foot ] disk sander in the carpenters shop where I worked [Pontiac Motors ] to shape it. Now, 50 years later I just bought a little 410 Dickerson SxS and the stock was too high. A good wood workers rasp took it down to where I wanted. My friend had a high end shotgun with a Monty Carlo stock and he removed it. He traded it in at Pacific Arms here in Michigan and the sales man was talking how nice the gun fit him but couldn't figure out why. Dave told him it was probably the only one without the MC stock. We had a pretty good laugh. Anyways, you sound like you know your way around wood working so I see no reason not to make it fit. I've always felt a little something has to be done to make it my/your gun, so have at it. Let us know how it turned out before you quit circling the water drain. Paul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

E-bay has 870 stocks listed with prices starting at $40.-. Some appear to be in V.G. to excellent condition.

DF

Montani Semper liberi