ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble with trap station 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m a non-registered fun club league shooter. I shoot with both eyes open. I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed by addressing the cross dominant eye issue. That is working for me shooting the other trap stations and shooting skeet . . so we don’t need to spend time debating eye dominance. I definitely think I should be scoring better so I analyzed my scores for the last couple of months. Regardless of what station I start on for any round, my scoring when I get to station 1 is consistently hurting me compared to other stations. I’m reviewing recommended foot positioning, hold position, and look position and will experiment a bit with all to see if there is something that can improve results. Are there some key things I should be focusing on when shooting station 1 ?

Post subject: Re: Trouble with trap station 1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Westender wrote:
Are there some key things I should be focusing on when shooting station 1 ?

Definitely, forget it's station 1 and concentrate on the bird and the basics required to break it!! Sounds like you have station 1 on the brain and it's getting to you....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:13 am 
Presentation Grade

In the ready position with a steady gun hold , don't move until you see the target !
The sharp focus on the lead edge of the target is paramount for each station shot as
there will be no wasted time in your move !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Practice trap by yourself. Shoot all 25 from post 1, then again until you have confidence and can smok'em from 1.

Just to compare, try holding to the left of the house or wide and level with the trap house on post one. If hard lefts are the problem, coming up to break the target is better than trying to follow it holding on the trap house. If your subconscious is pulling the trigger when the bead/barrel visual relationship is accomplished. With target following and stopping gun movement at the shot..... you shoot behind. The lead and follow was not achieved. Coming up to break the target, you will tend to point in front as you intercept. A different technic to try. It is also the same for post 5 when troubled with hard rights.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Practice trap by yourself. Shoot all 25 from post 1, then again until you have confidence and can smok'em from 1.

Just to compare, try holding to the left of the house or wide and level with the trap house on post one. If hard lefts are the problem, coming up to break the target is better than trying to follow it holding on the trap house. If your subconscious is pulling the trigger when the bead/barrel visual relationship is accomplished. With target following and stopping gun movement at the shot..... you shoot behind. The lead and follow was not achieved. Coming up to break the target, you will tend to point in front as you intercept. A different technic to try. It is also the same for post 5 when troubled with hard rights.

Maltz

Maltzahn, I think you might have nailed it. The issues you describe are what feels like is happening. For the past few months I’ve been using the (old) Remington fundamental hold positions that have me holding a foot or so from the corner towards the centre of the house and one to two feet high. With this holding position I’m always behind and tracking/following the clay on left handlers from station 1. Coincidentally, on station 5, those same Remington recommended hold positions have me holding a foot or so off to the right of the trap house, similar to your recommendation for station 5. Interestingly (and oddly for a right hander), my stats show that station 5 is consistently my best scoring station. Seems to be a definite correlation between these hold positions and results. I’ll report back when I’ve shot a few rounds using the new hold point for 1. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_T ... s_2004.pdf

First page gives a visual of where to hold for each position

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_Trap_Fundamentals_2004.pdf

First page gives a visual of where to hold for each position

Thanks oneounceload, but as per my note that's what I've been using. I'm going to try maltzahn's recommendation to see if it improves things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

"I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed by addressing the cross dominant eye issue. "

Can you explain this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jim Tyner wrote:
"I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed by addressing the cross dominant eye issue. "

Can you explain this?

Check out this thread from another forum. Just scroll down until you see my post with photos.
https://www.shotgunforums.com/threads/l ... ost-158546