ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trap doubles, loads & chokes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 am 
Field Grade

Hi everyone, flexible here.
First time yesterday shooting trap doubles, loved it!
Would like some advice.
For trap singles I shoot a BT99 with some added weight and i shoot Rio 7 1/2, 1 1/4, 1250fps. It's fine with the BT but I used my skeet/Sport Clays gun for the trap doubles (Blaser F3 with 30 inch barrels. I put in M & IM chokes). I shoot 23's at trap singles and 22's at skeet.
Got really tired of the recoil after 150 rounds. My % at the second bird wasn't too good either LOL.

Any recommendations on loads & choke?
thanks
flexible

Post subject: Re: trap doubles, loads & chokes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 am 
Presentation Grade

1 1/4?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:29 am 
Field Grade

1 1/4 oz. # 7 1/2 shot and 1250 fps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

flexible wrote:
1 1/4 oz. # 7 1/2 shot and 1250 fps.

You didn't mention competition, but 1 1/4 oz loads are illegal for ATA trap.

Quote:
Rule XIII, G, 3:

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.

I use IM/Full and 1 oz loads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

thanks, i appreciate it. no competition just fun at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Why beat yourself up with 1-1/4? 1 oz for both singles and doubles.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Why beat yourself up with 1-1/4? 1 oz for both singles and doubles.

Like oneounce says...

it will be a lot more fun with a one, or 7/8 oz load. I shoot a few ATA matches a year to support my club, and I'll shoot 1 oz at those matches in singles, or doubles.

Regular weekly shooting is with 7/8 oz at ~1275. It's all you need.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks!
I was shooting 1 oz 1190 fps loads with 7.5 for my first shot & M choke. I would use the Rio 1 1/4 oz. at 1250 with 7 1/2 shot for the 2nd shot.
I still have several cases of the Rio to use up but I'm looking for softer loads for the 1st & 2nd shot.
I also realized i didn't have a F choke since i shoot mostly skeet & SC but the Briley F choke is coming this week.
thanks again
flexible

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Once you have developed good timing on the second target. 1 oz of hard shot at 1290fps will kill both targets and get smoke. Good timing = shooting target# 2 before it drops losing momentum. Doubles take a little time and lots of experience to do well. Many good doubles shooters will tell you that "it just comes to you" like light going off in your head. Good 27 yard shooters say the same thing about caps.

Shoot some.... Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

flexible wrote:
Thanks!
I was shooting 1 oz 1190 fps loads with 7.5 for my first shot & M choke. I would use the Rio 1 1/4 oz. at 1250 with 7 1/2 shot for the 2nd shot.
I still have several cases of the Rio to use up but I'm looking for softer loads for the 1st & 2nd shot.
I also realized i didn't have a F choke since i shoot mostly skeet & SC but the Briley F choke is coming this week.
thanks again
flexible

Use those 1-1/4oz loads on some long shots at pheasants or chukar; or find yourself a box pigeon ring........ :wink:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

flexible wrote:
Got really tired of the recoil after 150 rounds.
Any recommendations on loads & choke?

No, but I have a recommendation on recoil pads: Limbsaver AirTech.

You will be surprised and amazed....

Actually, I do have a load recommendation: 1 1/8oz @ 1145fps MV. These light target loads are more than adequate for trap and are relatively soft-shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:43 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot 7/8 oz for everything trap. 3/4oz for all the other games. 1 1/4 - my shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Flex, I am no great shot at doubles. I will say that I use a 1 oz. #8’s for first shot, with a modified choke. Guys, that are fast and good, often use IC. Second shot I use a 1 1/8 #7 1/2’s light handicap shell, with a full choke, as I am not fast enough on My second shot. One thing that I have found, shooting lots of doubles, is conducive to better scores. How the targets are set, and weather/wind conditions can and will make a difference in scores. Most shooters, do not practice shooting doubles enough. Helps to have other shooters at Your local club to shoot/practice with regularly. Knowing POI for both OU barrels a big plus. They are a lot of fun, especially if You are shooting well with a squad that has good rhythm. Setup routine, shoot, eject, load, take a breath, repeat. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Shot trap for many years. About 5-6 years ago switched to sporting clays. Very seldom need more than 0.020" constriction, even at 45-50 yards. Full is really more than you need for 2nd shot in doubles unless its about to hit the ground. And 1 oz./1200 fps loads are fine...maybe go to 1/18th oz for 2nd in competition. IMHO many trap shooters over-choke, but the smoked targets certainly get the endorphins going!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I haven't been shooting doubles for long, but after struggling one day, I asked a couple of very experienced guys I was squaded with (50,000+ registered doubles targets each) for advice. They suggested using a very light load for the first shot, like 26 grams (about 7/8) @ 980 FPS (a light Win AA load) and an open choke (like IC or skeet), and use a "regular" trap load (1 to 1-1/8 1150-1200 FPS #7.5, IM choke) for the second shot. They also said that I should not see the result of the first shot, since my eyes should be moving to to the second target as soon as I pull the trigger on the first. This is all I know about doubles. Oh, and it is really fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

7/8 oz. # 8 1/2 improved cylinder for the first shot. 1 oz. of #8 modified second shot. Having started shooting skeet I always take the right bird first. Most old timers say to shoot the straightaway first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

I wonder how those recommending skeet or IC chokes for the first shot at doubles would respond to those who recommend Full for the "first shot" at singles.... when the singles target is usually taken no more than about 5 yards further out than the doubles target is taken?
Seems like rmiddlemas is on the right track here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Mud as you know All Ready , the first target in doubles is shot much quicker than a 16 yd
target because it's in the same place each time you shoot from each post ! The idea a good
doubles shooter has , with shooting the blur of the target at a given spot ( out in the field)
at the call of the target , allows one to move quickly to the second target . That first target
is shot without moving the gun , spot shooting if you will , it takes a little experience but
soon a shooter will understand how much ahead of the call , he needs to hold his POA .
It really doesn't matter what choke is used for this first shot at doubles as the pattern size
is very close to the same with Cyl as it is with Full choke at this distance the shot is taken !
Any size shot legal , can be used as the shot cloud is somewhere between 8" and 12" with
95% of the patterns density in it ! Stay Calm and Focused is the name of the game !
Singles for score
Hdcp for Money
Doubles for Fun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
Mud as you know All Ready , the first target in doubles is shot much quicker than a 16 yd target

Yes, about 5 yards quicker for the faster doubles shooters. Not even that much for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I shoot fairly quick. What I prefer is 1 ounce of 8's @ 1180 fps with an Improved Cylinder choke for the first shot, and 1 1/8 of 8's @ 1145 fps for the 2nd with a Modified. Lately I have been using 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's @ 1200 for the 2nd shot because I have several cases of them since I went to a heavier load for Handicap............

If using one of my semi-autos, I use Modified.