ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel O/U
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am 
Utility Grade

I inherited a Merkel O/U 20 ga. Apparently, based on it barrel markings, it was manufactured in 1956. I sent a message to Merkel asking if based on the serial number they could tell me the chokes on the 2 barrels. I couldn’t find any markings that would indicate the chokes.

They (Merkel) responded with:
Quote:
We could find out that the choke combination oft he O/U-Shotgun with serial number is ½ - 1/1.

This appears to be a modified on top, full on bottom gun, if I’m reading that correctly? I’d like to use it for trap. I know trap shooters usually go with modified/full barrels. BTW, this gun has a 26” barrel.

How’s this sound for a trap shooter?

Post subject: Re: Merkel O/U
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 am 
Diamond Grade

The chokes are fine but the barrels are quite a bit shorter than what most use in trap; barrels of 30-34" are the norm. Also, most trap guns are set up to shoot a slightly high pattern of 70/30 or more (70% of the pattern higher than the point of aim, 30% below). This is to account for the rising trap target. You should pattern you shotgun to see how it shoots. If it shoots flat (50% above and below your point of aim) that pattern can be raised by raising the comb of your stock by adding either an adjustable comb or raising your comb with various removable pads.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

I believe the chokes are opposite - M on bottom, F on top; that is typical

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

If your goal is casual Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clay's, then your gun will work fine, I have the same configuration Merkel and really enjoy it on the sporting fields.
Our configuration is ideally suited for hunting for the field, but is also fun on the courses. For competition I would stick closer to the current trends of shotgun designs for Trap Etc.

Great shotgun, have fun,

Gene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:52 am 
Utility Grade

gthudspeth wrote:
If your goal is casual Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clay's, then your gun will work fine, I have the same configuration Merkel and really enjoy it on the sporting fields.
Our configuration is ideally suited for hunting for the field, but is also fun on the courses. For competition I would stick closer to the current trends of shotgun designs for Trap Etc.

Great shotgun, have fun,

Gene

This is definitely in the category of friendly competition. Just out to enjoy a friendly outing.

But I do need to know how best to use this gun: trap? skeet? sporting clays? It’s definitely not a skeet gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:55 am 
Utility Grade

One other question: the safety is on top and I assume the sliding button adjacent to the trigger is the barrel select. On the right side there’s a swivel button that does what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

jski3 wrote:
This is definitely in the category of friendly competition. Just out to enjoy a friendly outing. But I do need to know how best to use this gun: trap? skeet? sporting clays? It’s definitely not a skeet gun.

The answer:
gthudspeth wrote:
If your goal is casual Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clay's, then your gun will work fine, Gene

Use your Merkel for anything you want. It's a shotgun. It's made to shoot flying targets/birds. When you decide to shoot competitively, you can get a more specialized gun.