ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doubles, chokes, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:25 pm 
Field Grade

Today I went to Tucson Trap and Skeet club and played around with 16 yard trap. I did some experiments. From almost the first time I shot trap I had been running a Modified choke, which eventually would be swtiched out to a Full choke as we worked our way back. Now a while back I tried skeet and found I liked the open chokes better at that game. So I tried a cylinder bore choke. Not my best game. So I tried a Diffuser which is a Improved Cylinlinder with rifling cut in it to spin the pattern. I found my game was on par with my Modified choke. One thing I did notice was that the breaks were much more dramatic than with the Modified.
I found this interesting. I also fooled around with walking back. I found I could walk back to about the 20 yard line. At the 21 yard line everything seemed to be a disaster. This was with the Modified choke. Now one thing I felt was handicapping me was my choice of shell. I had bought 2 cases of TraAAcker loads thinking that it would be educational. Not so much and the way the TraAAcker works costs me some shot in the pattern. So I was probably shooting about a 1 ounce load instead of the normal 1 1/8 load. I would not buy these again, but I am getting some new AA hulls into the rotation so this is not all bad.

Anybody else play around with choke constrictions that run counter to conventional wisdom? I am finding I like that diffuser, but I think its application in Trap is limited to the first few yard lines.

I also shot my first Doubles trap today. Now if the Lord has not taught you humility, doubles trap will. I had been reading about quotes the other day and Wyatt Earp said "Speed is fine but accuracy is final. You have to learn to go slow in a hurry." This pretty much sums up doubles trap. And other shotgun sports as well. I usually got a hold of the first one and on several occasions, both. So what chokes to you guys run in doubles trap?
I took a guess and ran a Improved Cylinder with a Light Modified, this from the 16 yarder. The IC firing first.

Post subject: Re: Doubles, chokes, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot doubles for more than 30 years and currently carrying an average over 90%. I shoot mod for the first shot and full for the second. In both targets I have enough choke to smoke 'em. Getting good breaks offers mental confidence in your shooting and subconsciously comfortable with sight pics and handling. Makes it easier to repeat every aspect of each successful shot over and over.

You must visually acquire each target coming up from under each. Trying to go fast only gets you out of control of handling and point. Fast is a result of experience and muscle memory. Shoot the first target and shift your eyes to target #2. Do not follow the shotgun rib while moving to #2. Look at the target and the gun arrives based on natural hand to eye coordination. Looking at the rib and bead during the move will result in hitting very few #2s.

Maltz

Post subject: Re: Doubles, chokes, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:34 am 
Diamond Grade

It is the wise man that listens to the voice of experience.