ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monte Carlo comb ????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:59 am 
Utility Grade

I just purchased a 30" O/U barrel for a low profile Kolar top single shotgun. The new barrel has a non adjustable flat rib on it and came with 20, 28, and 410 tube sets. The barrel is perfect for trap doubles but shoots way to high for skeet.

If I have a custom reduced height comb fitted to the stock, will the lower comb allow me to shoot the gun for skeet too? I"m open to any other suggestion to allow me to get more use out of my new O/U barrel too.

Thanks for your input.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Monte Carlo comb ????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 am 
Field Grade

There are many more qualified than I am on this topic, but here’s how I think about this question. As I’m sure you know, raising a comb will raise POI and lowering a comb will lower POI. Although most leave it at that and want to work only with an adjustable comb, I personally think the adjustable comb is more about fitting the gun to the individual shooter and their preferred shooting posture. Once that’s done it’s often necessary to adjust vertical POI. There are two choices here. One is to move the comb up or down within some hypothetical acceptable range that does not detract too much from the ideal position you originally set up. The other is to leave the comb in your ideal position and add rib height to achieve your desired lower POI.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:15 pm 
Utility Grade

If I add a rib, I’ll have a tougher time shooting trap doubles.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

You're saying the gun shoots high as it is now. I'm assuming [ that's dangerous ] you shoot with a pre-mounted gun and your face nestled down on the comb. Then yes you're going to have to find a way to get your head lower. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Without an adj rib you have basically three options as I see it. Buy a dedicated Skeet gun, shoot skeet with it the way it is but float that target, or do what a friend of mine did. He bought a trap O/U with a fixed comb MC stock and it shot too high for him. He doesn't like to float the target and found out he shoots better with a flatter shooting gun. His solution was to send the gun off for install of an adj comb and had the 'smith make an add'l lower comb for the gun. It looks odd with that section being lower than the rest of the lines of the stock, but it works. He kept the original comb piece so that if/when he sells it, it will go back to normal appearance and fit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

twohigh wrote:
Without an adj rib you have basically three options as I see it. Buy a dedicated Skeet gun, shoot skeet with it the way it is but float that target, or do what a friend of mine did. He bought a trap O/U with a fixed comb MC stock and it shot too high for him. He doesn't like to float the target and found out he shoots better with a flatter shooting gun. His solution was to send the gun off for install of an adj comb and had the 'smith make an add'l lower comb for the gun. It looks odd with that section being lower than the rest of the lines of the stock, but it works. He kept the original comb piece so that if/when he sells it, it will go back to normal appearance and fit.

Yup....exactly what I did. K-80 live bird gun = 30" O/U barrel with step rib (trap) MC stock that l had a lower profile comb (soft-top) made for it. Shoots about 55/45%. I shoot occasional skeet and sporting with it and shoot it well. I have put the original trap comb back on and shot trap doubles with it as a spare trap gun.

An advantage of the Krieghoff or your Kolar is the bottom barrel POI can be adjusted with changing the front hanger out. In my case the Pigeon gun had both barrels regulated to the same POI, but that may not be the case for your Kolar factory set up for trap. The bottom barrel may be set to shoot a bit higher than the top barrel. Be sure to spend some time on the patterning board to confirm barrel regulation. Kolar can change bottom barrel POI to your demand.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Maltz,

I was thinking of doing exactly as you suggested. Have a soft comb made that barely clears the post for the adjustable comb. Looks like I can pickup about 3/8”. It’s not the perfect solution but it will let me shoot skeet and float the target a little less.

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Maltzahn...I sent you a pm.

Hope you don't mind OP.