ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prices Law and your club
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find this interesting,i think it is especially true for a volunteer organization such as a trap club.
Prices Law- 50% of the work is done by the square root of the number of workers.
Example; There are 100 members in your club. 10 people will do half the work and the other 90 will do the other half.
It gets worse for a bigger club. If there are 10,000 members only 100 will do half the work and and the other 9,900 will do the other half.
I never worked for a huge company but those of you that have do you agree with Prices Law. I don't know who "Price" is but this has been researched and studied.

Post subject: Re: Prices Law and your club
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

We always used the 90/10 rule: 90% of the work is done by 10% of the members

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^^^ Yep

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
We always used the 90/10 rule: 90% of the work is done by 10% of the members

At our club it's more like 99/1.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll go with the 90/10 estimate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Price's "Law" is bulls***. First, Price a was an academic. Academics know nothing, they just make up conclusions by reading about stuff. You are wearing a mask at Costco because some professor in England made stuff up about the Wuhu Flu. PhD has always meant "Piled High and Deep" for a reason.

Is work at a club evenly distributed? Of course not. There can only be one President, one Treasurer, one Shoot Director and one guy cleaning the toilet at a time. What, you want 15 guys lined up to clean the john? In a 100 member club, you couldn't find 100 jobs needing done.

What doesn't happen at a club is the rotation of people through the jobs. However, this often because the officers and directors don't want to give up their jobs and even the guy cleaning the john feels like no one else can do it right.

If you have a job at a club, hand the brush to someone else. If you don't think anyone can do your job or wants your job, drop dead. There will be someone in your spot next week.

If you want a job at a club, pick up the toilet brush, rake, shovel, climb in the house to load targets. You will soon be President.

What, you think your club has existed for 50 years with the same guys who started it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

I've always used the 20/80 rule. It seems to hold true regardless of the reason why 80 percent of the members don't do nearly as much as the other 20%.
Some folks like to run things, other folks like to sit back and let them, sometimes.
Or...
Some folks like to get things done, other folks like to have things done..
??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
I prefer the 100% rule. I do everything. that way all fingers point at me.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

A most clubs, 1-3 people are usually doing most of the grunt work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim, I'll agree with your first paragraph but after that you kinda lost me. Oneounce hit the nail on the head - 90/10 rule at my club.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I have never belonged to a club that has assigned work details for the members, and I most likely never will.

I prefer to pay the going rate for dues and let them hire someone to do the work that needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Hard to calculate when there is a mix of paid workers and unpaid volunteers. Our club has a paid manager and two paid assistants. They have their roles and responsibilities. Yet much of the work is also done by volunteers. Volunteers organize and run the leagues. We also have monthly fun shoots. The paid personnel are involved but volunteers seem to take the lead. It’s hard to sort out what percentage is doing what.
I guess my bottom line is it takes both solid paid managers and a dependable volunteer force to keep a good club running. As long as long as things run, digging into percentages doesn’t seem that useful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been a sales rep for a lot of years now. I take pride in it.

I'm in my twilight years of working full time, I'll pull the full time plug in a couple more years and only do consulting. Nowadays, I'm often the guy teaching others.

There is one universal truth in sales and sales management and that is the 20/80 rule.

20 percent of the sales reps for a company, make 80 percent of the sales. 20/80 holds true in general, not only in sales.

A small tip, strive to be number 2. Number 1? He has a target on his or her forehead, #2 can cruise under the radar. I've seen number 1 get fired several times, number two (me) just keeps on keeping on.