ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap gun question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm 
Field Grade

I have been shooting sporting clays for 8 years, currently with a Perazzi High Tech. I would like to get more serious about trap. Two questions about the gun:

1. Is there any advantage to buying a dedicated trap gun over merely raising the adjustable comb on my Perazzi to raise POI? The design of the Perazzi adjustable comb makes it easy to quickly and reproducibly change the height.

2. Is there any advantage of an unsingle barrel over a top single? The top single looks aesthetically better to me and I never have problems with felt recoil. Is there more chance of barrel flip with the top single?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s expert advice.

Post subject: Re: Trap gun question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting a flying target is shooting a flying target.
You don't even need to raise the POI (so that the gun shoots where you're NOT looking) to break trap targets.

Unless you just want a "real" trap gun, so that you feel more a part of the group of other trap shooters (who most likely have "real" trap guns), your High Tech will serve you well on a trap field.
Respect on a trap field, just like respect on a SC course, comes from consistently shooting good scores....not from carrying a specific type of gun.

The various features and styles of trap guns are purely personal preference; if there was one best set-up, we'd ALL be shooting it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Most of the SC guns are setup to shoot 50/50 or maybe 60/40 where trap guns are 70/30 up to 100/. I started shooting trap with a Citori CX with an adjustable comb and at that time it was my do everything gun. I’ve since bought a Beretta 687 trap combo that definitely shoots 100/. My friends told me to shoot the heck out of the Citori but I didn’t listen. I really like my Beretta 687 however I’ve not seen my scores increase in trap wit the new gun.

I see lots of single barrel trap guns but the unsingle does offer the lowest recoil IMO. However recoil definitely depends more on stock than barrel configuration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only difference in your Pgun set for clays and the same gun set for trap is the comb height be able to center targets going up and not lose sight of the target by visually over running it in the sight picture. A longer barrel would be an advantage for handicap. For me, singles as well.

Add a trap top single barrel and set POI to your individual needs. An under-single barrel would be OK, but will take some getting used to. At this point your subconscious sees the bead, barrel and rib together during ever shot. With the unsingle you will not be able to see the barrel related in the sight picture. An adjustable rib on either a top or bottom single barrel is desirable and adds flexibility to settings.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
if youre going to play the adj comb game, make sure when you move it, you move it each time to EXACTLY as it was the last time or youll be chasing dope.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you everyone for your advice. On the Perazzi it is very easy to reproduce the comb height because they give you spacers. The comb is designed for frequent removal because it has to be removed to tighten the stock bolt and they recommend doing this every 200 rounds so it’s not that big a deal changing from SC configuration to trap height.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am a "leftie" my Trap guns are set to shoot about 125% high. Lots of funny looks when someone picks up my gun and shoulders it !!!!!!!! To compound it I also shoot a release trigger !