ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of Remington 3200 Trap model $$$????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Remington 3200 Competition , 12ga, 30", VG Condition . Has Factory updates, Stock to trigger 14 1/4'' Over/under, Full/Improved modified
30" ribbed barrel Raised rib, white front beadStock: Premier grade walnut Mercury Recoil Reducer in Stock.
Would yo think this is good starter gun for someone in trap?
What would be a fair price for this gun?

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

Post subject: Re: Value of Remington 3200 Trap model $$$????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 3200 is a decent gun. Important to have all the upgrades done including glass bedding the stock gap where it fits the frame. They were noted for cracking in the wrist aria, forearm as well. I had my forearm glass coated just in case. No trigger smith has ever created a reliable release system for those of us that require them. May need a frame face repair which fixed firing pin opening wearing or chipping out from heavy use. Should be 2 bolt heads at the bottom of the frame face where the entire receiver frame was stabilized from flexing. From too much stock bolt pressure and poor fitting stocks.

There is only one smith nationwide that can properly repair 3200's. A MN smithy advertises in trap and field mag. There several shooters that stay loyal to the 3200 and shoot well with them. Market is 850.00 to 2000.00. The 32" barrels add about a 1000 to the guns value. I would not pay more than 1200.00 for an upgraded 30" barreled Remmy 3200 with any kind of wood. I sold mine for 900.00 and it had every trick done to it, had very average wood.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 3200 a good starter gun for trap? In my opinion, no, unless you already own it. I have one I still shoot, but would not buy one at this point in time. They shoot very good, a terrific trigger, but had a lot of design short comings, and has very few people capable of working on them and the future will see even fewer, probably.

The way gun sales are right now, it is hard to recommend any starter gun. In normal times an 1100 Remington would be a good one to recommend, but right now they cost an arm and a leg used, and you can't find a new one.

I suppose one of the Turkish guns might be good. The only problem with them might be they are mostly quite light weight for high volume shooting like trap. If you wanted to go to the trouble of weighting one down, then one of the Turkish pumps or autos would make a decent starter, and could also serve as a field gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
when you say premier grade wood....are you saying the gun is a premier grade trap 3200 or a trap grade gun with premier grade wood put on it?

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

rbdjr wrote:
Would yo think this is good starter gun for someone in trap?

It would work as a starter. However....

You don't buy a pair of flip-flops if you're starting to run track and field. Spend your money on appropriate equipment and you'll enjoy your chosen sport more.
Why not buy a good trap gun, one you can not only start with, but progress with as you go up through the ranks.

I take it that this would be a 'starter' trap gun for someone else, since you have no need for a starter trap gun yourself? If it's someone you love, get a different gun for them. If it's just an acquaintance who's wanting to start and is asking your opinion, then the 3200 might be a good value if they can get it at a low enough price..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Premier grade walnut Mercury Recoil Reducer in Stock

Thats what the fellow sent to me, I copy and pasted what he sent me

Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://www.newjerseyhunter.com/threads ... un.314631/

This description traces back to a year and a half old ad, so it sounds like you may have found a scam listing somewhere.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

pictures look like a nice gun.
the 3200's are pretty heavy guns, I wouldn't give one to a kid he'd be worn out after 100 rounds.

I still have my un-rebuilt 3200,i bought it used after wearing out a used BT-99,
it took me from a new guy C class shooter up through A class singles, A class doubles, and back to 26yds, before I stopped shooting ATA.
it's pretty worn out now, but still shoots just fine when I take it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
https://www.newjerseyhunter.com/threads/wts-remington-3200-competition-trap-12ga-shotgun.314631/

This description traces back to a year and a half old ad, so it sounds like you may have found a scam listing somewhere.

I live in Nj and would meet with fellow, scam ?
But after reading some replies I believe I would be better getting a different gun for my son. sounds like a nice gun and have emailed the fellow and he offered to meet me and show me the gun, I will pass at this point and look at something else, dont want to spend the money and then send to a G smith to have it bedded to hope stock wont crack?
Thanks for everyone's help

Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
I put one million rounds in my gun and it was still working when I sold it.
1" crack in the grip.
firing pin holes opened up.
doubled on me once.

that was it for a million rounds.
great guns.
find a new one....and kill it over time.
but if you must pass....pass. good luck.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

bobski wrote:
I put one million rounds in my gun and it was still working when I sold it.
1" crack in the grip.
firing pin holes opened up.
doubled on me once.

that was it for a million rounds.
great guns.
find a new one....and kill it over time.
but if you must pass....pass. good luck.

One million rounds through one gun ? Hyperbole ? ? If you shot 50,000 rounds per year it would take you 20 years of shooting. 20,000 rounds a year would take 50 years ! And that’s assuming you shot only one gun the whole time ! I have to, at the very least, say you’ve overestimated how many rounds you’ve put through your 3200 !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

He didn't say he actually SHOT the gun 1M times, he said "I put one million rounds IN my gun".
I think he was working for Winchester, final testing each AA round for proper size before they were boxed for shipment.....

The price on that gun seems to be dropping every couple of months. Wait until it hits $1200, offer him $1000, and walk away with a nice gun and a smile on your face.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

If he just put the one million rounds IN the gun and never fired it, by that standard almost any gun would pass the test - even a Tri Star !

BTW, I own a 3200 One of One Thousand. Really like the gun. Guess you could say I’m a fan. However, when I bought the gun new I’d fired less than 1,000 rounds thru it and a wood piece chipped out of the forearm. Had to have a friend glass bed the forearm metal to the wood and that stopped any further issues.

As mentioned, Laib’s is the only real resource for repair and parts. I understand he does good work and charges fairly. Can’t say first hand as I’ve never used his services.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

amboy49 wrote:
If he just put the one million rounds IN the gun and never fired it, by that standard almost any gun would pass the test - even a Tri Star !

Precisely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:34 pm 
Utility Grade

At one time when Remington was still in business, you could send a worn 3200 back to them for repair but that ended years ago and as we all know big green is essentially no more.

I picked up a used 3200 special trap competition about 25 years ago. Cosmetically it was in really nice condition but the trunnion pins were pretty badly worn and the action was sloppy on opening, but it locked up tight. I don't even remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. No local gumsmith would work on the trunnion issue so I sent it to Remington where they fixed it for a nominal charge...It came back opening like factory new. I shot it regularly for about 10 years and easily put 10,000 rounds through it. God knows how many rounds went through it before I got it but judging by the condition of the trunnion pins, it must have been a lot. But I've never had a cracking issue with the forepiece or the wrist end of the buttstock.

I still have it but it is relegated to a back up role. My primary trap gun is a Merkel 200ET which is more of a traditional "live bird" gun but it handles so much better than the 3200...The 3200 is a heavy gun...might even be overly heavy even for a target gun and in my opinion, they have a nice swing but the excess weight starts to wear on you after a while.

BTW, this is my first post here...Looks like a nice place...I think I will stick around.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Wulfheard wrote:
At one time when Remington was still in business, you could send a worn 3200 back to them for repair but that ended years ago and as we all know big green is essentially no more.

I picked up a used 3200 special trap competition about 25 years ago. Cosmetically it was in really nice condition but the trunnion pins were pretty badly worn and the action was sloppy on opening, but it locked up tight. I don't even remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. No local gumsmith would work on the trunnion issue so I sent it to Remington where they fixed it for a nominal charge...It came back opening like factory new. I shot it regularly for about 10 years and easily put 10,000 rounds through it. God knows how many rounds went through it before I got it but judging by the condition of the trunnion pins, it must have been a lot. But I've never had a cracking issue with the forepiece or the wrist end of the buttstock.

I still have it but it is relegated to a back up role. My primary trap gun is a Merkel 200ET which is more of a traditional "live bird" gun but it handles so much better than the 3200...The 3200 is a heavy gun...might even be overly heavy even for a target gun and in my opinion, they have a nice swing but the excess weight starts to wear on you after a while.

BTW, this is my first post here...Looks like a nice place...I think I will stick around.

Good report. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

in the military, we were required to keep round counts for the major shoots since ammo is issued. we used our private guns. my old 3200 came to me when I lived in ca. it was a test gun for skeetmaster tubes inc when dick gonser was alive. his tube set was in it. matter of fact, his tubes wore out before the gun and had to be replaced. so, the gun shot all 4 gauges regularly. when I got it, all my matches were 4 bbl events. I even used it for the Olympic trials held in ft benning ga when I was invited to try out for the team. so, I have (or had) the papers to show the round counts thru 2 owners.
1 million.
I don't lie. its not in my nature. I can see how some would not believe it on the net...but such is life.
btw...the new 3rd owner is still shooting it. I shot it 3 months ago. it was like holding a lost child.
like many, I enjoyed the 3200. weight was an advantage. seems even to this day, shooters weigh up guns to balance them, not reduce them. so the 3200 fit the bill.
maybe too its because im from a generation of men where weight wasn't an issue. the gentle and sensitive arms of todays men, seem to require light guns. lol.
heck, my service rifle was 12 pounds to start with and went up from there. now everyone carries mouse guns. 45 was replaced with 9mm. beefy 8lb shotguns are now slender 7lbs. those in my age group remember the age of 500 round lots of ammo. not this 'its too heavy' 250 flat stuff. and don't get me going on 3/4 oz loads instead of 1 1/8. life moved on. not me.
in my prosperous days, I had every model 3200 in my collection. age and marriage caused it to go away. my favorites were the live bird, 1of 100, 1of 8, and the 1of 4. the 1of 1000 was just the beginning of pretty. so many 3200's, not enough life to enjoy them all.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

That’s pretty darn impressive! A million rounds through one shotgun by only a couple of folks.