ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun for the Novice Wife?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

I'm just getting back into trap shooting and would like to try to get the bride involved.
Situation is she is about my height, 5'6" but suffers from Fibromyalgia so some constant body pain and some muscle weakness is the thing. I use a Remington 870 that is about
8 1/4lb and am sure that will be too heavy for 2 rounds of trap if not too much recoil with common loads available (1oz 1290fps). Would a 20 ga 870 be a viable option? The instructor recommended Tri-Star Semi autos. He says they have been durable and reliable for his juniors. Any other options as for as gauge and action, model? Is 20ga in general a good option? My go to would be a 1100 in 20. Thats what i shot skeet with many years ago but they are fairly unobtainium these days

Post subject: Re: Shotgun for the Novice Wife?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

rich5674 wrote:
I'm just getting back into trap shooting and would like to try to get the bride involved.
Situation is she is about my height, 5'6" but suffers from Fibromyalgia so some constant body pain and some muscle weakness is the thing. I use a Remington 870 that is about
8 1/4lb and am sure that will be too heavy for 2 rounds of trap if not too much recoil with common loads available (1oz 1290fps). Would a 20 ga 870 be a viable option? The instructor recommended Tri-Star Semi autos. He says they have been durable and reliable for his juniors. Any other options as for as gauge and action, model? Is 20ga in general a good option? My go to would be a 1100 in 20. Thats what i shot skeet with many years ago but they are fairly unobtainium these days

IMO, a gas operated 20 gauge would be just the way to go for your wife, especially in the recoil department. Your instructors advice is sound, the Tristar guns have uniformly positive reviews here on SW. Good luck finding any Remington, especially in 20 gauge, for anything even remotely approaching a sane price. If you can have her shoulder ( best of all worlds, shoot ) a gun you`re interested in prior to purchase it would be ideal.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:30 pm 
Field Grade

I may have to buy a gun sight unseen. In my area there’s very little of anything to be had.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

rich5674 wrote:
I may have to buy a gun sight unseen. In my area there’s very little of anything to be had.

You mention an instructor. He may have, or knows someone who has a Tristar SA that your wife can shoulder, if not shoot. At least you`ll be able to get a good idea of dimensions that might work for her. You`ll have a bit more confidence when you order a gun that has dimensions that are very close or essentially identical to the gun she shouldered and that fit her.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

I’m going to have her swing my 870 a few times. See if she can hold it and how it fits. If she can hold it for a few “swings” we will go shoot. I trust the instructor will let me know what direction to go from there. It’s a public range and he has no affiliation to brand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife has an a400 20ga with the K/O and to me it has zero recoil. That said, I'm in no way recoil sensitive but it's probably the softest shooting 20 I've had a chance to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Worry more about gun fit. If unaltered from factory settings, the gun has been set up for the average sized man. About 5' 10" and 160 to 180 pounds. If this isn't your wife size worry about length of pull too long and comb too low. The stocks toe digging into her chest peck muscle. A gun that hurts to shoot will discourage the shooter, soon to give up and quit.

Recoil will be felt less if the gun is properly fit. Heavier the gun the less recoil. Smaller payload in ammo reduces recoil.

Be aware of recoil, handling and form of new shooter and goal 1 is make it fun, goal 2 is hit a few targets. Clay targets are addictive experiencing both.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am 
Field Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Worry more about gun fit. If unaltered from factory settings, the gun has been set up for the average sized man. About 5' 10" and 160 to 180 pounds. If this isn't your wife size worry about length of pull too long and comb too low. The stocks toe digging into her chest peck muscle. A gun that hurts to shoot will discourage the shooter, soon to give up and quit.

Recoil will be felt less if the gun is properly fit. Heavier the gun the less recoil. Smaller payload in ammo reduces recoil.

Be aware of recoil, handling and form of new shooter and goal 1 is make it fun, goal 2 is hit a few targets. Clay targets are addictive experiencing both.

Maltz

Sounds like you know your stuff (as do the others) Bride is about my height. our instructor didnt mention anything about my gun fit so i think a 870 with a factory montecarlo stock is about right. understood about gun weight, lite payload and recoil.Available 12ga load is 1 oz at 1235 Fps. I doubt she could hold up the 8 1/2LB 870 for two rounds. Maybe a 20 ga with 7/8 oz loads
A $1400 Beratta would end up with a fatality. Mine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 pm 
Field Grade

Fit is indeed a key component of felt recoil. For something like an 1100 or 870, having the stock pitch increased (toe moved forward) is quite simple. This would be done at the same time as reducing the length of pull. Don't go overboard, though, as increasing pitch can also cause an increase in face-slap. Similarly, a gun that's too short often has more felt recoil. This is because a too short gun can be mounted less tightly to the shoulder. Not saying don't cut the stock, you will almost certainly have to. Just pay attention to how it affects felt recoil.

Regarding the gun itself, I think an 1100, 11-87, or one of the Italian gas guns in 20 gauge would be about ideal. For a time Remington manufactured a 20 gauge 1100 on the 12 gauge frame. These have an "X" at the end of the serial number. That's probably the lightest recoiling gun you can find, but obviously heavier than the 1100s built on the 20 gauge receiver. As you are aware, it's a difficult balance between reducing recoil and comfortably mounting the gun.

The BT-99 also comes in some nice compact variants. Gas guns are better at recoil reduction, but some novices find the handling a little intimidating, particularly the way the bolt slams shut. For trap a BT-99 is nice. Avoid the 20 gauge O/U hunting guns, they are quite light and can be real kickers. You want a trap style gun for shooting comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

There are women specific guns being made by Fabarm with their Syren line that I think you should consider. They come from factory with design features that enhance the fit for most women. Take a look at the link below for a Syren Demo center near you. I would sure try getting her to one of those and let her try the various models. I think it would be time well spent. Good luck.

https://syrenusa.com/demo-centers/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
rich5674 wrote:

You mention an instructor. He may have, or knows someone who has a Tristar SA that your wife can shoulder, if not shoot. At least you`ll be able to get a good idea of dimensions that might work for her. You`ll have a bit more confidence when you order a gun that has dimensions that are very close or essentially identical to the gun she shouldered and that fit her.

If he has a gun club to go shoot at, then there might be folks willing to let her try theirs for a box of ammo as a thanks.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Get her a nice 6 pound 12 gauge and let it kick hell out of her.
That way you only have to take her with you one time, and
she appreciates what a tough SOB she married because he
can actually shoot those torture machines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Maltz (and others). No gas operated semi auto (by far the best choice of guns) off the rack will fit your wife.

The stock will be too long, the comb will be at the wrong height relative to the rib, and the angle of the recoil pad relative to the rib (the stock's pitch) will be very wrong for her.

If you want her to be happy shooting with you and to improve with practice, you will need a competent gunsmith who can change the stock's dimensions so the gun will fit her. (I strongly suggest a gun with a "Monty Carlo" style stock.)

If, for any reason, you are unwilling or unable to get the gun fitted to her, please reconsider getting her involved in clay target shooting. Without a gun that fits, she will suffer physical pain and unending frustration when she shoots.

You may find this thread that I wrote a few years ago interesting -https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=439131

It would also be a good idea if she were to get some good instruction if she is unfamiliar with shotgun shooting. Learning to shoot by trial and error is not the best way.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

Last edited by Rollin Oswald on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Any shotgun she likes and that fits her or is modified to fit her will do nicely. And - - - don't worry after about another 10 years or so of marriage she'll become an experienced wife.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If she shoots that 870 (ouch) and isn't bothered by the recoil, she can shoot anything. {hs# Get her a Browning BT-99 Micro or a Beretta 391 RL Parallel, or one of the Browning Micro Sporting Autos and shoot 7/8 or 1 oz. 1145fps 12ga shells. All made for smaller statured people. By the time you buy a an inexpensive field gun, find it doesn't work for trap, modify the stock and then sell it to get the right gun, you will spend more than just starting her out right. Ask me how I know.

20 ga is a handicap at trap and those light auto field guns will kick worse and slap her face more than one of the above that are made for sporting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I just had my Daughters new A400 Vittoria fitted to her yesterday by Rich Cole. Wow ... what a leaning experience. All I can say is there’s way more than just shortening the stock to get a gun to fit a female. Trigger-to-grip length must be right and this generally cannot be had with a gun made for men which are generally bigger. I’d recommend looking at any of the Berretta Vittoria line or Berretta A300 sporting RL or Syren. And get to a qualified fitter and Rich Cole will be in Texas at the National Complex through the State Championship.

DL