ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good books on trap
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

My trap scores really bounce around a lot, and I'm looking for more consistency. 16 yardline I'll shoot an 18 one outing and a 22 the next. I really enjoy and learn well from reading. I have the book "Score better at trap" by Fred Missildine, but it seems a little dated and although I'm re-reading it, I'm looking for more. A couple days ago I ordered "Stockfitters Bible" by Oswald. Any books that have helped you I'd love to hear about. I shoot a good deal of sporting clays and have a bunch of books on that subject. I am probably the only person I know at our club that scores higher on 5 stand than on trap most days! Any dvds that are good I would consider as well. Not trying to go to the Olympics, just want to polish my trap shooting. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Good books on trap
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you ever read the basic Trap brochure from Remington? Lots of good simple basic info on fold points, foot positions, etc.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Have you ever read the basic Trap brochure from Remington? Lots of good simple basic info on fold points, foot positions, etc.

If you can find it. The link I had for it ... https://www.remington.com/pages/news-an ... loads.aspx .... no longer works.

In the meantime, you could do a lot worse than spending some time with Chris Batha's YouTube videos. I'm mostly a sporting clays guy but if I know I'm going to be doing some trap, or skeet, I review his YouTubes and rarely embarrass myself. A good thing.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yeah Chris has really good videos. I watched the one for skeet and it was helpful because I've never shot a round of it but do play on the field just for fun and to practice the angles. I'm also a lefty so most of the foot position and holds aren't applicable. I know I know, just reverse it, still would like to see charts for left hand shooters.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Chris is also a lefty so a most of his demos are done that way....he can also demo as a righty pretty well but rarely does it so I'm the one who has to reverse it.
I know, I know, welcome to your world. lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

If you can find it.

Here is a link for the Trap brochure: http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_Trap_Fundamentals_2004.pdf

And one for Skeet too: http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_Skeet_Fundamentals_2004.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

If you can find it. The link I had for it ... https://www.remington.com/pages/news-an ... loads.aspx .... no longer works.

In the meantime, you could do a lot worse than spending some time with Chris Batha's YouTube videos. I'm mostly a sporting clays guy but if I know I'm going to be doing some trap, or skeet, I review his YouTubes and rarely embarrass myself. A good thing.
:D

http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_T ... s_2004.pdf

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

If you can shoot 22's regularly, then it sounds as if you have the mechanics down pretty well.
You may need to work on the mental aspects of trapshooting.
One book I like for that is Lanny Bassham's WITH WINNING IN MIND.
It's a little dry, but if you can get through it and take it to heart, you may find it beneficial.