ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the record in missing the most targets in a row
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I think I missed 11 in a row today. Then again, I don't shoot much trap!

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep

Post subject: Re: What's the record in missing the most targets in a row
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pretty sure the record for a single round is 25.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:04 am 
Crown Grade

Misses??

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep

Post subject: What's the record in missing the most targets in a row
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot skeet one time with a fellow who missed 24 straight

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Last edited by casonet on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 am 
Limited Edition

Awhile back I was having a REALLY bad round of 5 stand. I kept trying harder and, of course, the harder I tried the worse I got. I ended the round with 2 hits out of the 25 birds. :s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

I shot 5-stand with a guy who hit 1/100. I'm not sure how many in a row he missed, I think it had to be around 80, because he hit one target in the last round of 25.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

Looks like things are slow everywhere...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

8 years ago, when I first shouldered a shotgun, I tried my hand at skeet and shot a 0.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hold my beer...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I missed an awful lot of them in a row when I tried bunker. Most of them I missed twice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot a round of sporting clays way too soon after cataract surgery and missed 46 out of 50.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 am 
Presentation Grade

I once hit 7 straight golf balls into a creek you had to get across on the first hole of our small town golf course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 pm 
Crown Grade

You should always use an old ball on water hazard holes except it sounds like you have never had an old ball.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Better yet, don't golf.

Edit to add I was in 5th or 6th grade and all of our golf balls were ones we found.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Had a friend who missed 32 straight in 5-stand, 25 then 7 on the next 25. And he wasn't that bad of a shot, just a bad day. So at our monthly membership meeting [ we have rifle, pistol, muzzle loading, cowboys, archery, and shotgun at our club] the venue chairs each give a report. When shotgun comes up, I present Bill with a homemade trophy for shooting a 32 straight. No one knew it was for misses. He's laughing the whole while, everyone else is clapping.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

I teach a beginners trap class. The class is for new shooters, not trap shooters looking to improve their scores (take a lesson!). We've had folks in the class who have never fired a shotgun. We set the house to throw straight out until folks start to get a hang for it. Some folks are naturals and some folks, well lets say that it's a success if they break a bird or two. I've seen some beginners break no more than 3 or 4 birds in a round. I have never had anyone miss all 25. So most in a row, lets say 10 or 15. Everyone eventually connects if they start with a good gun mount, stance, proper hold over and keep their head on the stock.
The biggest problem most struggling beginners have is gun fit.
We try to teach shooters to relax and enjoy themselves. If the gun goes bang when you pull the trigger, enjoy that..smell the gunsmoke and enjoy the experience. If you start with that, eventually things will fall in place.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:28 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
15 or 18. cant remember. ended up with a 4. that was a year ago. went and got glasses. ta dahhh!

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:22 pm 
Crown Grade

emgerrish wrote:
Some folks are naturals and some folks, well lets say that it's a success if they break a bird or two. I've seen some beginners break no more than 3 or 4 birds in a round. .

When I get someone brand new, I expect them to hit no less than 10-15 the first round of straights from 3. Some hit 20 if they are shooting one of my teaching guns with a high POI.

All I do these things.

1. I occlude their off eye with chapstick on their lens so that they can see the bead to target relationship with just one eye.

2. I have them mount an empty gun and hold a target up to create the angle that they will be shooting when they fire and tell them to raise the gun up until the bead touches the target. I tell them that is when they need to fire but they need to keep sweeping up as they fire.

3. I throw 2 or 3 targets that they dry fire at when their bead touches the target so that they can see what I want them to see when they live fire. I have them hold just a bit above the house just off the middle so that they can see the target come out.

If they miss i ask them what they saw when they fired and adjust from there. If they hit I ask them what they saw and tell them to do it that way again.

We then move to 4 and do that again except we add lead, then to 2, then to 5 adding in swing tempo and then to 1.

Usually, keeping the trap locked for straights from 3, we work across all 5 stations, 5shots each. Good students will usually hit about 20.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:32 pm 
Field Grade

My average Sporting Clay's score lately had been in the 20's for 50. I do better in trap, 20+
Right now I can barely shoot the Winchester AA's at minimum dram 980fps without killing myself

My cervical surgery is scheduled for 7/6.
Discectomey of C4-5 & C5-6 then replace and fuse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I once took my younger brother trap shooting, guns are his total passion. We are brothers, we do compete with each other.
He truly despises the fact I am simply a better shot than he. He can beat me occasionally on a pistol range only.
Let's just say he was a touch embarrassed, he managed to miss 22, I dropped one bird for my unfortunately usual 24. Yup that one bird that is between your ears.

I did tell him that trap is harder than it looks. But know he knows that, with certainty.

He did have a very bad day, typically he is much better. Of course I can't possibly allow him to live that day down....cuz we are brothers.