ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Counting broken targets
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:45 pm 
Field Grade

My kids and I are just getting our feet wet with trap shooting. We went out to a local club today and paid for the 4 of us to shoot a round. The club loaded exactly 100 targets on our card. However, on my one boy's turn, the house threw 2 broken birds. So at the final station at the end of the round, the final 2 shooters were only able to shoot 4 targets each.

I asked the folks in the clubhouse, and they just said, "Sorry, but we don't load extra targets on the card for trap and skeet."

My kids would like an accurate score, so I'm curious how I should deal with that situation in the future? I guess you're just supposed to call it a hit or miss and move onto the next shooter when that happens?

Post subject: Re: Counting broken targets
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is the first time I have ever heard of a club not giving a few extra targets on a card for breakage. Are there any other local clubs you can join or visit? This should not be something that you regularly experience.

They broke however many targets they broke. Can't add a target to your score you didn't break.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

On our token operated machines are set for 27 targets per token for trap, and 26 for skeet. Some people shoot the extras, others don't. The machines have to be reasonably well maintained. Setting them for exactly 25 seems pretty tight. Both trap and skeet lead off shooter ought to be able to call for a target so everyone can observe at least one target.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

zxcvbnm wrote:
This is the first time I have ever heard of a club not giving a few extra targets on a card for breakage. Are there any other local clubs you can join or visit? This should not be something that you regularly experience.

They broke however many targets they broke. Can't add a target to your score you didn't break.

Thank you. I thought it really strange, but being new, I didn't know if this was standard procedure or not. We also shot a round of sporting clays, and they loaded extra targets for it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

John H wrote:
On our token operated machines are set for 27 targets per token for trap, and 26 for skeet. Some people shoot the extras, others don't. The machines have to be reasonably well maintained. Setting them for exactly 25 seems pretty tight. Both trap and skeet lead off shooter ought to be able to call for a target so everyone can observe at least one target.

That's makes much more sense to me. Makes me wonder if it was a new person working today. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try again a different day. Mostly I just wanted to confirm that this was NOT standard. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

John H is spot on.
You paid for 25 legally-thrown targets. If the machine is having a bad day, then management should give you as many targets as it takes to get those 25 legal targets.
I have a feeling the OP wasn't talking to management at that club, probably untrained staff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agree - we usually give 27 or 28 per 25 paid, I don't remember. Is should be on an honor system that if you didn't need the extra two or three, then don't shoot them; good night, keeping a Club profitable is hard enough. If it gets worse than that, we will load a few more on the card. Most people belong to a Club for convenience; if you can't help keep them profitable, it'll cost you in fuel when they lock the gate; and a good chance you will lose new shooters that you never knew you lost.