ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 New Tactical Stoegers forfamily
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 am 
Field Grade

We live so rural that really 30-40 minutes would be a response time for assistance.

The goal was something easy for the wife to use(SXS) and something easy for my 14y/o who already shoots an O/U on his HS trap team. Wanted things purely functionary and basic. These are both short and basic.

I use a Moss 500 Defender.

Each of theirs has a butt stock with a 5 shell holder w/led light.We have a Safe Room in our house walk out basement. Both wife and I long time Army vets. She wanted an AR15 but I did not want the over penetration.

Not paranoid, just prepared.

We so far have put about 100 shells through each and as they loosen uo they each work better and a better.....other than needing a new from bead on the O/U. The threads were poorly done on the bead that was in there.

Also as a fyi these do not shoot the mini 12ga shells well at all the shells will not extract and after the first2 shots the shotguns become clubs. Regular 2.75 and 3" extract perfectly.

Also removing the top picatinny tails on each make them much more fastly accurate shooters.They both shoot high if you leave the top rails on (10-30 yds)

Once completely rigged out I will post actual photos.

Post subject: Re: 2 New Tactical Stoegers forfamily
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

Just an update

The SxS coach gun is great when shooting 2.75 & 3".

The O/U has been giving me issues. When you break it open you have to really forcefully snap it open or you cannot remove the bottom spent bottom shell as it hits the receiver. 200 shells run through it and the problem persists. I may have to return it for repair. The whole reason I wanted these was the basic zero fail fire and functionality of these.

I plan to continue to work with before returning as it is a Xmas present for my son.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 am 
Field Grade

12ga U/O

Trying to resolve the lower chamber extraction issue (will not extract easily) just is not working out. The shop I purchased it from just tells me "Send it back to Stoeger". SO it is going back to the company.

We will see how long this takes and the results.

This issue and the issue where the Coach gun will not shoot the reduced recoil loads has really left me soured on the tactical models of this brand.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

Update 2/2019

The O/U 12ga Tactical has been shipped back to Stoeger (it's been well over a month, no word yet). I messed with this thing a lot before it had to be sent back. It never would break open easily enough to smoothly load or extract the fired lower fired hull. You have to FORCEFULLY break it open. It makes this a liability for it's intended purpose. Savage makes a Tactical O/U and I wish I would have purchased that one instead because now I always will have doubts in the shotgun and even when I get it back once fixed plan to sell it.

I will purchase the Mossberg Maverick ThunderRanch O/U eventually, unless the Stoeger O/U functions amazingly. But I have to have high levels of confidence in these given their intended purpose or it is just a club after the first 2 shots.

The 12ga Tactical SxS Coach gun has been flawless EXCEPT neither will fire 1 3/4 mini 12ga shells.The extractors will not grab the soft hulls once you fire them. You have to run a rod down the barrel to get the hulls out. Normal 2.75 and 3" shells function perfect without any issue.

Last edited by CrowCaller on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 pm 
Field Grade

Still waiting...........

How hard can it be for an O/U repair or replacement?? Starting really sour me on the Company.

Looking for a new Turkey/Crow Auto 12ga (my old Mossy 835 24" is starting to show it's age as I am hard on it and I am wanting a 22-24" high capacity choked 12ga for Crows.Was thinking about a Stoeger Freedom 12 in 24" but poor or slow service really matters to me.

We will see

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

Received the shotgun back from Stoeger. On the repair slip it says they spent 80 minutes on the repair and ............it still does not open up like it should unless you forcefully crank on it.

Dealer says I trade it in on something else that is about all Stoeger is going to do. I asked why would I trade it in as a used shotgun (purchased new in Dec)and lose money on something that has never worked right since purchase.

I went to another gun shop and looked at a Mossberg O/U Thunder Ranch that is very much like the Stoeger and it opened up perfectly.

Unsure what I am to do....trade in (lose money) or keep and deal with it. The one thing I do know is I am done with Stoegers.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

CrowCaller wrote:
Received the shotgun back from Stoeger. On the repair slip it says they spent 80 minutes on the repair and ............it still does not open up like it should unless you forcefully crank on it.

Dealer says I trade it in on something else that is about all Stoeger is going to do. I asked why would I trade it in as a used shotgun (purchased new in Dec)and lose money on something that has never worked right since purchase.

I went to another gun shop and looked at a Mossberg O/U Thunder Ranch that is very much like the Stoeger and it opened up perfectly.

Unsure what I am to do....trade in (lose money) or keep and deal with it. The one thing I do know is I am done with Stoegers.

I don't often check in here, so very late, but, if you see this:

1) Hate to say it, but listen to your wife. The AR is a much better all around choice, especially if she has significant experience with one. Recommendations would be:
* 16.5" Carbine length
* Forward-directing comp, to reduce the indoor "BOOM!" as much as possible w/o an actual suppressor.

Couple of good options:
https://truenortharms.com/ar15_default_store_view/s-j-hardware-s-linear-compensator.html
https://www.rainierarms.com/hera-arms-lc-s-linear-compensator-small/

If you load a couple 20 round mags of Hornady TAP, over-penetration is pretty moot.

2) I confess my bias: doubles are really poor SD choices.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Planning for the worst means at least the minimum loadout for your weapon platform. "Weapon," meaning LE/Mil-type platform.

So, that means a minimum of 5 rounds ready to go for a pump or semi shotgun. Not 2...hunt-pluck-shove-snap..2 more...hunt-pluck-snap...

Some, I know, will disagree. I worked some fairly "active" areas of a major metropolitan area in the Midwest, in the 90s, in EMS. I do not know anyone (including me) who has been shot at, and has a woody over the idea of 2 shots for defensive purposes. If you have a safe room, your weapons are intended for something more than warning off Drunk Bubba. Select your gear appropriately.

If your wife has run a gun, don't give her the total opposite of what she said she feels comfortable with, unless she gets to pick your gear.

If you keep the Stoeger(s), I would rub down the entire hinge area with Mother's Metal polish, or similar, and crack it 40-50 times a day until it moves as smoothly as your trigger finger. Strip it, clean it with brake cleaner, and lightly lube it afterwards. They are known to be overly tight form the factory.

Or, sell it at a gun show for ~$300.

Having said all that, the Stoeger M3000 semiautos are good to go, and will do anything you ask of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm gonna make 2 recommendations:
1. Try the various HP varmint rounds for the AR. A LOT less overpenetration.
2. I hate to say that you need to either take the O/U to a gunsmith who can loosen it up. Or, take the loss on a trade in. This is a gun that MUST be 100% reliable. And there are a ton of really good guns out there that won't run the Mini shells, so don't feel bad about that.