ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk me out of a m3020
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 pm 
Field Grade

Looking at 20ga autos. Really like the m3020. Lots of people say to spend the extra $200 and get a Franchi Infinity. One is made in Italy(I think) the other in Turkey. The other guns in the running are the Mossy sa20 and the Viper g2....both made in Turkey.

What is the good/bad/ugly of the 3020. Looking for real owners....not a buddy of mine has one.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Talk me out of a m3020
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In this price range it is a matter of inertia action, or gas.
I own both and they are very different.
In your shoes I would buy a Tristar Viper. I own the Bronze model and like it A LOT!
I have owned a Stoeger 2000, a earlier model than the new 3000 ones, and I own a Benelli Montefeltro now.
Personally if I was buying an inertia gun right now it would be a Montefeltro. They are so
precisely machined. Smooth as glass. Under $1000.00, and very simple to completely take apart for cleaning.
The 3020 will work fine. I grew up in a Mopar household. The good thing about a Dodge is that they lasted a long time. The bad thing about a Dodge is that they lasted a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

I purchased a 3020 for my son (13) to start shooting trap last year with. We brought it home and completely stripped it down and cleaned it (strongly recommend this). He ran 1500 shells through it in his first year.

He had a growth and now shoots an O/U Nikko 12ga because he can now handle the amount of shots per session from a 12ga

Edit: I recently had too use Stoeger repair service which was NOT very good as they returned the gun and it still has the problem. We are no longer ever going to purchase another one. Things happen but how it is handled matters to us.

Last edited by CrowCaller on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Affinity 3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 pm 
Field Grade

Why the affinity over the Stoeger? Is it really a $200 Better gun? Not trying to be a smart arse....specs are identical.

I have been down the Franchi route with a pos I-12 that they eventually bought back. I just wonder if the affinity and Franchi name are worth the extra cash. If the gun is built better I have no.issues paying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I owned one for a couple of years and shot it a good bit, (4-5K) rounds. Had one small problem which Stoeger quickly corrected. Let a friend talk me out of it for his daughters use and continue to regret letting it go.

You might do a search on this forum and find my reports/feelings about the gun. I found it to worth the money and fine handling.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Stoegers are built to a price point. Cheaper. Same inertia action as Benelli. But Benelli is 100% better. Buy once cry once. But you will have a gun that will last forever with good factory support. FWIW I don't own either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:57 am 
Field Grade

I could buy 3 stoegers for the price of 1 m2. If money weren't an issue...or if I was going to shoot multiple flats of ammo a year the Benelli would be a no brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 am 
Utility Grade

Can't really give any comment on the whole line of the stoeger line of shotguns. I personally have used the Stoeger 3000 Shotgun. While unique, not many were ever sold. In the 1960s, sadly. For a 7-pound, 6-ounce gun, recoil was manageable. One improvement from the 2000 is the softness and resilience of the recoil pad. From a performance standpoint it works with the best of them, and is a good step up to a semi-auto for anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I've got an Affinity 12 gauge that has been an overall great gun. No issues at all to speak of. The fit and finish is better than a Stoeger too. I also have owned a 3020 for 5 or 6 years now and I love it. However, I did have to address a few issues before that love came about. First, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it in a dove field. I tried it on several hunts and just couldn't find the right choke load combo that worked. I'd knock feathers out of a lot of birds, but that was it. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I just sucked with it either. Which leads to the 2nd issue. The ridiculously stiff trigger. Never officially checked it, but I'm guessing it was at least 8+ lbs. Very well could've been the reason I couldn't hit a dove with it. Haven't tried them with it since. Third is the small loading port. I'd say my thumbs are probably bigger than most, but not monstrous. Loading it with your thumb can draw blood if you're not careful. I load it with my index finger now to avoid busting my thumb.

Once I had the trigger tuned, I turned it into a dedicated turkey gun. By far the most consistent turkey gun I've ever owned. Lightweight for run and gun hunting, excellent on a patterning board, and pretty hard on a turkey's noggin too. I'm tough on my guns so having a tough inexpensive gun that works great is important.

All that said, I'd probably go with the Affinity 20. The issues I mentioned with the 3020 aren't a deal breaker for me, but they are for a lot of folks. Good luck with whatever you choose.