ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sling Swivels on a Stoeger SXS Coach Gun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:19 am 
Field Grade

Guy's,

I know that this has been discussed and discussed on forums all over the internet. First off I will explain why I installed the sling and swivels for those that like to argue the point of doing so.

I installed the sling and swivels on my Coach Gun because I am a short individual 5' 5", and broke my left arm as a young man (child). The Doctor's back then tried something new and did not reset my arm. They just let it grow back on it's own. Said it would grow back normal, well it did not. I can not turn my left hand flat (palms up) so it is difficult to hold on to a gun that kicks pretty good. I just can not grasp it properly. So with the sling I can wind it around my arm and get a really good hold on the Shotgun. All my rifles have slings on them from lever's to auto's.

So please do not get into a discussion of why anyone needs a sling on a Shotgun or a lever gun. Not what this is about.

So on with the story. I have wanted a sling on my Stoeger coach gun every since I purchased it. Just never could figure out how I wanted to do it. You hear night mare stories about putting the slings in the bottom of the strap that is brazed to the barrels. But that really is a week point on the Stoeger. Metal is soft and not very thick on that metal strap. Next would be to use a leather strap that just straps around the barrels. I don't like that way either. So I finally decided to do it just like I did on my Marlin Model 60 (someone else's idea off the Marlins website.

I had a Sling Swivel with machine threads and some left over T-nuts from doing this to my Model 60. I took off the forearm grip (off the Stoeger) and drilled it for the T-nut and Sling Swivel. Then counter sunk the T-nut and put some thread lock on the swivel and tightened them up on the fore arm. Looks great and is very solid. I would not think the latch would wear out on the forearm but if it does eventually it can easily be replaced.

Here are some pictures of the process and a couple links to the Marlin forums on the Model 60 and how they all did the work and what was used. I think a package of 2 T-nuts at Home Depot was less than $2. Hope this also helps someone else. It should hold up real well. Very Solid.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=418847

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=603520

Post subject: Re: Sling Swivels on a Stoeger SXS Coach Gun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm 
Field Grade

Sounds like we've both been let down by the medical community. I'm very sorry. I learned to like slings when in the military. Hell, an M60 machine gun weighs 27 pounds. I hunt pheasant, usually just my Brittany and I. Sling is nice for the walk back to the truck, when putting a bird in my game pocket, or if I have the dog on a lead for some reason.
Anyone who still hunts with shotgun will appreciate a sling while going to and from their stand.

The looks of your gun prompted me to look at GunsInternational. I'm impressed. Can you tell me what style of choke tubes is used?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:01 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Manxman

The shotgun came with a modified on one side and a improved cylinder on the other side.
I switched the modified for an improved cylinder because I did not want to worry about which side I put slugs in if I ever shoot them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:09 pm 
Field Grade

jstanfield103 wrote:
I switched the modified for an improved cylinder.

Thank you. But what TYPE or style of choke system does Stoeger use?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pm 
Field Grade

I do not remember what kind I purchased. Bought off ebay. But did a Google search for you and found this.

Stoeger take Win-chokes or Browning std. Invectors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Great idea and very well executed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Deacon,
Thanks much.