ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not sure what to do!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m looking to get my first over under. I’m not sure which one to go with. I’d like to spend no more than $1000. Any ideas on what I should do.

Post subject: Re: Not sure what to do!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

For a gun to be used primarily for hunting, I would not hesitate to buy a Stoeger. I have had both the Condor O/U, and the Uplander SxS in 20 gauge, and have had no problems with either gun. If you plan on shooting more clay target sports, you can get much better guns for your money. Even uner $1000.00, you should be able to find a used Browning Citori or an older SKB / Ithaca O/U. Stoeger's don't seem to hold up to high volume shooting, so if you plan on putting more than a couple thousand rounds a year through it, look for something else. I could recommend the CZ line for value priced O/U's. They will stand up much better than the Stoeger to higher volume shooting. Do your research, after all it's your money so spend it wisely. Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I think turkeyhunter999 is on the right track, but I'd scale his volume number back, to say about 500/year. I've yet to see a Stoeger, shot for clay targets, go very long before problems crop up. As a field gun, with todays limited opportunities, it would likely last quite awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Handle, open and close a Condor. Then do the same to an old SKB. You will forget about the Stoeger. I had one. You will not be proud to carry it after handling anything else. Then you'll have to sell it. Buy something better. It's worth saving a while for a better gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:03 pm 
Field Grade

Probably should not comment on this thread, but I have to say. I have read a lot about the Stoeger shotguns, mainly on this forum. I don't have a over or under but I have the Stoeger coach gun. I really like my Stoeger and have redone the firing pins with stronger ones and the spring in it.

But one thing that is consistent on this site is that every time people ask about a Stoeger this or that people always seem to steer them in a total different direction. Amazes me I don't shoot mine a lot because it really is a Home defense gun or a quick critter getter if something bothers my dogs. But if I was serious like the question that was asked by the OP I would listen to everyone and buy the better shotgun. Sounds like experience prevails.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off, I just bought a Stoeger Coach Gun, will be picking it up Monday, so it's obvious I like them. Second, the gun shop I worked at sold a ton of the ATI Cavalry Over/Under. The 20 Gauge was especially popular. If I needed an O/U I would have found one of these.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Best free advice you will ever get.
Look at used, but very good condition Browning or Beretta - which ever fits you better.