ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking Hard at Stoeger M3000...Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

I am shopping for a basic reliable well priced semi-auto for occasional dove hunting and maybe some clays. So far I have narrowed my choices down to the Rem, 1187 or V3, Mossberg 930 and Stoeger M3000. My target price is $500 or under new or used.

I have been reading all I can here and elsewhere on the M3000 and it seems well like for it's price, versatility, dependability and ruggedness. That all sounds great to me but I do have a few questions.

- How is warranty service...if needed?

- How does recoil compare to the other gas guns I mentioned?

- If I find a nice used one, what should I check for prior to purchase?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looking Hard at Stoeger M3000...Questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

I have a couple of auto loaders. I can answer a couple of your questions. As far as recoil the gas operated guns have much less recoil. I own an older Remington 1100 LT 20 gauge, and a Winchester SX4 12 gauge. The 1100 doesn't even have a recoil pad. The gas operation uses some of the exhausted gas from the shell to push the bolt back and cycle a new shell into the chamber. Gas operated guns are much lighter shooters. The Stoeger uses the Benelli type inertia action to cycle a shell. Your shoulder provides the opposition to the inertia from the fired shot. A spring then activates the cycling of the shell. The felt recoil is much greater than the gas operated guns, The Winchester SX4 is double the price of the Stoeger.
For around 500 dollars new the Stoeger is great value. Mine is a 3000. I found it needed a thorough cleaning right out of the box. I guess they use a very heavy coating on most internal parts. To ship overseas. Make sure to thoroughly clean the mag tube both inside and out. The bolt and slides, and even the recoil spring is coated with this heavy coating. The main concern with these guns is failure to cycle light loads. I have not found that since i cleaned the gun. Also the 3000 can be tailored to you using the supplied shims. I am a lefty and was able to change the safety to an aftermarket unit. You cannot reverse the safety, you have to buy aftermarket. I was also able to adjust the drop at the heel and the cast using the supplied shims.
The main upgrade most people do is change out the Extractor and spring with a benelli
Unit. That can be done for under 50 bucks and a youtube video. The Stoeger is a punched part and the Benelli is machined. Most failures to cycle are attributed to the extractor. Some say light loads are an issue, as well as not shouldering the gun properly can cause the inertia action to not cycle. I have not had any issues with failure to cycle. I have not changed the extractor.
As far as warranty service i can't comment. I am located in Canada and have had excellent customer service from them on some minor questions. I purchased the Shadow grass blades camo model, and used it for ducks.
Over all i feel it is great value for the money. Basically a Benneli for a fraction of the price. Any other questions i will try to help.

Browning BPS 12 gauge 26 , Winchester SX4 12 gauge 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 gauge 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 GAUGE Side by side 26. Stoeger M3000 12 gauge Shadow Grass Blades 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply.

As it stands now, I have added the TriStar Viper G2 to my list and dropped the Rem V3 due to price. Of course, when we can get back out and shop again, if I find a good used deal it would still be an option.

I have now read every thread I can find here on the M3000. Most have been positive but not many have been about long term reliability / durability...only found one of those. From what I can tell, the main points of gas vs inertia actions is one shoots softer and the other shoots cleaner. Another characteristic that seems to be desirable with many around here is the ability to shoot "light loads". Not an issue for me as I'll probably just use whatever 2 3/4 inch dove loads I can find at Walmart or Academy. I'll find a few that work and press on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

Depends on what you are doing. I only hunt , and i clean my gun after every hunt. I think the users who shoot clays are more worried about build up than us hunters. I occasionally shoot clays but just with our manual feed mechanical thrower. Maybe a box at the beginning of the season. I use my old 1100 20 gauge for doves and it has worked flawlessly for 40 years. I recently purchased the SX4 by winchester and i cant say enough about that gun. Gas operated i know it is more money but worth every penny.
To be fair I only recently bought the M3000 and have had the tail end of the duck season with it. After a little tweaking on the fit, and the safety it now feels great.
As far as reliability these guns are now 7 or 8 years in the market and anyone who has them says they are great. Mine was on sale at Bass Pro in Niagara and i wanted a camo gun to take out to Lake Erie and not be worried about abusing it. Being a lefty the selection of guns is thin. I have only had one true left hand gun. I rely on right hand shotguns that can be modified to suit me. My main complaint is cast. The stoeger was the first gun with shims to allow me to adjust it for lefties.
So if you are sticking to a 500 budget the M3000 will check off all the boxes. It is after all a Stoeger with a benelli action. I should mention that most of the guys who change the extractor to a benelli unit are shooting 3 Gun , in timed events. They all rave about the 3000 and the M3K, which is a 3000 with an extended mag and larger bolt handle and bolt release.

Browning BPS 12 gauge 26 , Winchester SX4 12 gauge 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 gauge 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 GAUGE Side by side 26. Stoeger M3000 12 gauge Shadow Grass Blades 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

Duplicate post

Last edited by Zman28302 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
... Being a lefty the selection of guns is thin. I have only had one true left hand gun.

I've also been looking at the TriStar Viper G2...and they have left hand models.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm 
Field Grade

I've narrowed my choices down to the Viper G2 and Stoeger M3000. Haven't been able to handle either one, but just reading and looking at them it's a tuff decision for me.