ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't get the forend to release on my new Condor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a new Condor 12 ga today from Cabela's. They had it on sale and I couldn't resist. Anyway, while at the store, the guy behind the counter had trouble getting the forend to release when breaking it down to put it back in the box. I gave it a good cleaning when I got it home and once I put it back together, I can't get the thing to release.

It doesn't have the wheel like some. This has a plunger type button. It came off easily with it was only attached to the barrels which is the way it ships. I don't want to start forcing anything so I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Also, I can hear something moving back and forth when I point the gun at the ground or the sky. Don't know if that's normal or related to my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Can't get the forend to release on my new Condor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

With one hand, press the release button down, and with your other hand, while keeping the backside against the barrel for leverage (visualize the bottom barrel resting in the web of your thumb and index finger like you’re aiming a pool cue), firmly push the muzzle end of the forearm downward and away from the barrels. It’s hard to describe, but it’s the best technique I have found for getting enough leverage to release tight forearms like the one on my Citori. Make sure you’re keeping the release button depressed the whole time so you don’t break the locking mechanism. You’ll probably have to be much firmer with it than you’re anticipating, so be ready to catch the gun when the forearm pops loose!

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, that worked! Is this something I'll have to live with or will it become easier as they gun gets used over time? Is there anything I can do to help it along? I noticed the bluing is wearing where it's probably in there too snug.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:28 am 
Tournament Grade

fire/ready/aim wrote:
Thanks, that worked! Is this something I'll have to live with or will it become easier as they gun gets used over time? Is there anything I can do to help it along? I noticed the bluing is wearing where it's probably in there too snug.

It should become a bit easier with time and use (mine did). I don’t think there is much you can do about the blueing situation. As long as the wear is not visible when the gun is assembled, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Every over and under I’ve owned had some sort of internal blueing wear on surfaces where major parts mated.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788