ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pefect SXS for home defense for me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:42 am 
Field Grade

Guy's I am 58 years old and had the Stoeger sxs 12 Ga. that I liked but did not enjoy shooting it. I have several guns, several. I do not enjoy shooting the hard shoulder hitting Guns like the 12 GA anymore. Just not fun, and really for in the house to much umph behind the 12 GA. I know a lot of you will not agree and that is what makes the world go round.

I traded the 12 GA sxs off for a 1873 Uberti in 45 Colt. I then have been wanting another one for Home defense. So went to my LGS and looked at the 12 GA sxs again (Stoeger). I really did not like the shiny wood that it had on it and the price was about $100 over the .410 they had in stock. I asked to see the .410 and it fit me like a glove. It was a Youth model .410, it was the same length as the 12 GA coach gun. The barrel was 22" instead of the 12 GA 20" barrel, but the stock on the youth model .410 was 13" LOP instead of the Longer LOP of the 12 GA. So they equaled out in length. I am only 5'5" tall so I really like a LOP of 12.5". Now I can't find any ammo locally so I had to pay up and order some over the net. But this rifle should make for a fun range gun and home defense. Just really like it. I do think I will take the recoil pad off the Butt stock and fit a Hard Plastic Butt Pad on it. Just to shorten the LOP up a tad more, and not catch on clothing as you use it. Here is a stock picture of her. I just call her tiny :)

I hope the barrels are lined properly, I will see as soon as some ammo comes in.

Post subject: Re: Pefect SXS for home defense for me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If having a side-by-side shotgun propped behind the door helps you sleep at night, more power to you. It wouldn't be my first choice as a home defense weapon, but I'm not the one who has to be happy. Enjoy your new gun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have two slicked up from my SASS shooting days they do work great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guy's
This is not my only home defense by any means, but it is a good choice also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking at a Coach and trying to decide between
A 12 ga CZ Hammer Coach or a 12 ga CZ Sharp tail Coach - biggest difference I see is single vs double triggers and hammers- Feedback Please

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 am 
Field Grade

I use to have the CZ with the hammers. What a beautiful coach gun. Just Beautiful. I soon found out that I did not care for the hammers. To me very slow to load and then cock the hammers and fire. One without the hammers you can load, close action and fire. No cocking involved it's done as the action is opened up. I found the hammers slow you way down, or atleast me.

I always disconnect the automatic safeties on my shotguns. Don't like the safeties to auto inguage. I know if I want the safety on or not. I also take a couple coils off the action spring to lessen the tension on the barrels so they will open up a little easier on the non hammered model.

Just my point of view on things between the two.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Tried to post a reply and I don't know where it went. If this is a second post by me I apologize.

I also like the Coachgun for home defense. It is the fastest pointing shotgun I ever owned and I am a NFL tackle size body living is a very cluttered home with narrow hallways. I can turn around and reshoulder without hitting any walls or furniture. If two rounds isn't enough the boxer/pit cross will have to earn her keep while I reload. However I do wish it had ejectors, having to shake out the spent shells is not a natural move for me.

I did have a Winchester Defender, I liked it but was a little too long and clumsy for my situation.

I hear you on 12 gauge recoil. I had a generous recoil pad installed and went to low recoil buckshot . It is roughly the equivalent of a 16 gauge, still stout but more manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response Mr.Brooks (love the name)

I have since replaced the firing pins with hardened SS pins and added a sling to her. I like her a lot better than I did my 12 gauge coach gun for shooting comfort. In the house the 410 should not be near as devastating as the 12 gauge either. But can't shoot her much, ammo in very short supply. Got to hold on to what I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

I have 2 Stoeger 12 gauge coach guns, and for me, it's perfect for home defense and any other shooting I do. Nice compact size, easy to tote around, and probably the most fun I have had shooting in 20 years.
Both of mine are double trigger models.

I looked at the CZ Sharptail, but the price put me off and they only have single trigger models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 am 
Field Grade

At one time I had the CZ coach gun. Beautifully made SXS. It was just a piece of well made art. I did not care for the hammers though. Just took to much more time after loading to cock those hammers and it was kind of a pain for me. I much prefer the Stagecoach with out hammers externally.

I also disengage the automatic safety on mine. With a sling I can throw it over the shoulder and that short size like you say just a nice compact fun gun.