ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where/How Do You Practice?
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:55 pm 
Utility Grade

OK, I just bought myself a nice new Remington 870 for home defense use. I've even found a place where I can shoot it, since the local pistol range won't let me shoot it there. My question to the forum is: how do you practice shooting for home defense? What do you shoot at-paper targets? Declare war on watermelons ala R. Lee Ermey? Buy used manequins when a clothes store goes under?

Post subject: Re: Where/How Do You Practice?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Trap shooting is always good practice. If you can hit a clay target at 30+ yards, I would bet you could hit a human sized target at 30 feet, but of course its a totally different thing when you have no time to prepare for your shot like on the trap range.

I posted about a "tactical game" lately here-
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... b952d97d97

Im not sure if you would call it tactical or "cowboy action shooting" though..
I guess you would have to ask the range manager if you could do this.

Chad_E

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:43 am 
WHAT I DO TO PRACTICE FOR THAT KIND OF STUFF IS JUST BUY LIKE PAPER SILHOUETTES OF PEOPLE, AND TAKE A STAPLE GUN AND HEAD TO THE WOODS(MY WOODS), AND STAPLE THEM TO TREES, AND I KIND OF JOG/WALK THROUGH THE WOODS AND OPEN UP

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Accually, I agree with both of you on the training. The best way to increase your accuracy will be through shooting Clays. I accually own a thrower for that purpose. That will get you accustomed to shooting. For the training for home defense, get some cardboard and cut some "Palladin" Targets, and construct a "replica" of you're doorway from bedroom to hallway. (not everyone has the room to do this, which is fine) start from laying in "bed" and wakinng because of a "noise" (start a timer at this point) retrieve shotgun from storage location, LOAD SHOTGUN (this is important to practice) and clear the 1-3 targets with one SOLID shot to center mass. Once all tagets are initialized stop timer. For added difficult, cut out a picture of a firearm and afix it to 2 out of 4 targets. Now you must clearly identify your threats and neutralize them. Penalize 5 seconds for each non full centermass hit, and declare defender dead if an opponent holding a "gun"(picture) is not neutralized.

Now, for the questions concerning loading the shotgun... Yes I know that quite a few Home Defense Guns are kept with 3-5 rounds in them. That's fine, but you still need to practice the loading proceedure. You never know when, if ever you will have to defend your family. You do not know if you will be comming home from training with your shotgun and have it unloaded, and need to load quickly.

I also recommend that after trying this a few times start with a pillow case over your head, obscuring vision. require that you load the shotgun to capacity prior to removing Pillow Case. this will simulate loading the shotgun in the dark. Also if you have a gun lock of any kind that is kept on the shotgun, put it on prior to starting. The idea is to get this as close as possible to real life.

Scoring: (Use Deer Slugs in your gun for this practice if possible.)
5 second penelty for failing to use cover properly.
5 second penelty (or declare defender dead)for any target that does not have one center mass hit or total of 7 points per paladin scoring system.
10 second penelty for any target hit that does NOT have a gun (in gun-pictures scenarios, unarmed targets represent bystanders/family members)

Reload as needed.

Not sure exactly what a respectable time sould be, but assume 30-45 seconds to be a good goal.