ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Safety
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'd like to extend my condolences to the family of the man who died night before last as a result of a gun accident at a Houston Gun Club. You are in my prayers.

To all of us who shoot for fun,

A week ago I severely strained a long time friendship by calling my friend on a safety infraction. Problem was, he was pointing his closed gun at about 8 other friends in close proximity.

This summer while on vacation I called another gentleman on the same thing...turns out his gun was indeed loaded even though he claimed it to be empty.

7 or 8 years ago I had a relatively experienced shooter on a trap field shooting one of my guns when he had an "Accidental Discharge". He held the gun over his shoulder horizontally with a gloved finger over the trigger(I said relatively..not very). As I was walking toward him to try and safely relieve the situation, the gun fired, narrowly missing two people (shot right between them as they were talking)causing over $600 in damages. I felt like I got off extremely cheap!!

The circumstances surrounding the fatality night before last probably precluded any outside intervention but I want everyone to know that I WILL NOT LET ANY INFRACTION I WITNESS TO PASS WITHOUT SAYING SOMETHING. NOT ONE....AND I HOPE YOU WILL DO THE SAME FOR ME IF YOU SEE ME DOING SOMETHING UNSAFE.

This is my promise. I hope you will not hold it against me if I bring a safety infraction to your attention.

Bob

Post subject: re: Gun Safety
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

This is not clays related.One of my oldest friends had a N.D last Fri. at a shooting preserve .The gun was up in the air with his finger in the trigger guard before the birds flushed and a N.D. I stopped short in my tracks and asked "What the Hell did you just do?" He said "MY BAD-MY BAD" my response was "If I ever see your trigger finger inside of the trigger guard before the birds flush you will never hunt with me again!" I saw him a 1/2 hour later in the same posture. HE WILL NEVER HUNT WITH ME AGAIN!!! I'm 67 and life is to short!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 92923.html

Not many details... shot in the chest with a rifle at an indoor range.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What happened? Who, what, when, where.....

Sounds just awful.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5392923.html

few details

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 am 
Crown Grade

Gary, this past Wedensday evening a man arrived at American Shooting Center (outdoor range) to site in his rifle. From on scene accounts it appears that while pulliing the rifle from the back of his SUV the trigger caught on some part of his gun case. He was hit in the chest and died at the scence. Why the gun was loaded or the safety not on, no one knows :(

As Bob has so profoundly stated, we ALL must be aware at all times and be firm and unbending when it comes to safety.

This was a tragedy that should not have happened.

RTA48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Thank you, everyone, for your posts on the subject. Makes me wonder if there should be either a "Safety Sticky" on each of the Forums, or a dedicated Safety Forum somewhere near the top of the list. Complacency is a terrible killer.

Bob Stander - your pledge is my own. fase3 - the same.

Note - the GunTalkTV web site has free safety videos - just register for their Basic Membership which is also free.

http://www.guntalk.tv/site.php

Shoot Safe - SidelockSxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I doubt that a safety sticky would do any good. The ones who need it the most would just ignore it. Might be worth a try though.

I've pretty much quit shooting with a friend of mine over this. He shoots an O/U and, while a nice guy, he just can't seem to grasp the concept of "action open". He also has a habit of carrying the gun open but with the muzzles pointing back over his shoulder. While not a big deal to most it bugs the hell out of me if I'm behind him. Guess I just don't like looking down the muzzle of a gun.

Last summer, first league night, he came out with a couple, new shooters, carrying pump guns. Nothing wrong with that but they came up on the deck with the guns. That's rare at River Hills, guns are seldom brought onto the deck or in the clubhouse. But, when they walked past me I saw the actions were closed. Like several of you, I won't tolerate that in my presence so I hollered at Jim (thinking, you brought 'em, you teach 'em). He ignored me and they kept going, I yelled at him again and he gave me that "in a minute" look. By that time they were almost across the deck (a big one at River Hills) and I stood up and YELLED at him, which got his and everyone else's attention. When he turned around I gave him a very exaggerated 'break it open' sign and he looked at me like I had two heads. I then pointed directly at his guests. He looked at their guns, got a very sheepish look knowing everyone was watching, and explained the rules to them.

He was not happy with me but I don't give a crap. Interestingly, I haven't seen him on the course since then with his action closed, so maybe he finally learned something, maybe....

KK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is never a regret for addressing a safety infraction on the range or in the field. The people I hunt and shoot with know I will pull no punches and I am not afraid of informing them of their mistake.

Once could be a mistake, twice is stupid and I won't tolerate it or hunt / shoot with them after that.

Safety first!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our skeet ranges and our rifle range are back-to-back, perhaps 50 yards away from each other. We have some pretty simple rules on our rifle range, including: Always keep your muzzle downrange; and do not handle any gun for any reason when someone is downrange.

Today, we were our shooting skeet and one of the guys on my squad casually noted a guy on the rifle range had swept us with his muzzle. I turned around, and he has the gun pointed in our direction again (not shoulders, but in his hands). I also noted that there was someone downrange while he was doing that. I quickly made my way over there, and gave him one hell of a tongue lashing. All he kept saying was "my action is open, my action is open". He was completely clueless as to why what he was doing was wrong.

I suppose like any sport, there are a lot of morons out there... it's just the level of potential danger in our sports that make them stick out so much more...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I belonged to one range where when one was downrange, a flashing light was put on. You were not even allowed to touch your firearms and had to stand back behind the line until everyone was back, with firearms resting on the bench. If caught by the range officer violating this, you were asked to leave.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:08 am 
Limited Edition

I had an incident with a really nice guy on Friday. We were shooting sporting and he had an 870 wingmaster. He is a hunter so his habits seem a bit different. I noticed that his action was always closed but he kept the safety on. I diplomatically (there is no need to yell if someone truly doesn't understand) that he should always keep his action open. He did pointed out that the safety was always on. I told him that the only safety is your brain. Also, that it makes everyone around you uncomfortable. I told him that When I use my autoloader it is ALWAYS OPEN... When I carry it, I keep it pointed up and the open receiver is showing out towards other people so they can see the open action. It just makes everyone feel comfortable. He thanked me on saving him the embarrassment and maybe being "dressed down" from someone else.
Most of the things related to poor safety stem from complacent individuals. I always have my head on a swivel and try to make it my mission to educate people who just don't know or are asleep at the wheel. I never yell as we all know that when you yell nobody really hears you. I approach them quickly (given danger is not eminent) pull them aside and explain the them what needs to be done... I have had people come up to me and thank me for not making them feel like jack-asses in front of everyone. I am not saying that you can always be a diplomat... Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for everyone else's safety.

Thomas Jefferson