ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carbon Fiber 870?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 pm 
Field Grade

Hey guys,

Saw a couple 870s with carbon fiber barrels and receivers and a door buster thing (technical name?) on the muzzle for $499 at Dicks. What's the Deal with the CF? It didn't feel much lighter, is it just for looks? Thanks.

Remington 1100 12ga
Ruger 10/22
Savage M93 .17 HMR
SIG P220 .45
HK USP Compact 9mm
Ruger Service Six .357
Daniel Defense DDXV

Post subject: re: Carbon Fiber 870?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's probably jut some kind of sticker thing like you can find on some Glocks and such.Probably scratches and looks like crap pretty easy.Of course I am just guessing since I have never seen the 870 your talking about.

Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber 870?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:47 am 
Diamond Grade

BIG_SHOT wrote:
Saw a couple 870s with carbon fiber barrels and receivers................

Huh? Model number, please.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I saw some CF stuff for ARs, but the only 870 CF I've seen is the stick-on type. I've seen CF stocks for the Ruger 10-22 as well.

It's a great concept, though! I've thought of making mag extensions out of (readily available) CF tubing. A CF stock and forend set would be awesome, though...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hrm. Can't say I've ever seen an 870 like that.

I have seen a Mossberg 500 with an ATI carbon fiber furniture from the factory:

Part number 52363M, MSRP of $499
It was a special edition a few years back and even discussed here in the basement:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=69199

Alternately, you could have seen several other shotguns with carbon fiber features:

Remington 105CTi

HK/Fabarms:

Tristar Viper:

Lastly, it could have been an 870 with the ATI stocks on it, or an 870 with a Ramline Syntech CF stock like this:

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:47 pm 
Limited Edition

BIG_SHOT wrote:
Hey guys,

Saw a couple 870s with carbon fiber barrels and receivers and a door buster thing (technical name?) on the muzzle for $499 at Dicks. What's the Deal with the CF? It didn't feel much lighter, is it just for looks? Thanks.

Really?

WASR10 7.62x39
RRA lower/Del Ton Upper 10.5inch AR pistol
Anderson AR15 carbine
Mossberg 590A1 12 GA 18.5 bead sight +2 extension
SD40 VE Apex tactical Trigger and Spring kit, Ameriglo Night Sights
Swiss K-11 7.5x55 Swiss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EBK wrote:
BIG_SHOT wrote:
Hey guys,

Really?

Evidently I was mistaken in my assesment, as now another member has seen what BIG_SHOT described:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=162538

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

FMD wrote:
Evidently I was mistaken in my assesment, as now another member has seen what BIG_SHOT described:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=162538

What the other poster described was "carbon fiber film", which is far different, in my mind, anyway, than "carbon fiber barrels and receivers"; although, I am confident they saw the same model.

ETA: Does anyone know if the carbon fiber film has any real functional value or is it just bling? Or if the film even has any real carbon fiber in it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Guys,

I'm "the other poster".

The fore and aft stock on this model is the normal synthetic material.

The barrel and receiver are finished in what looks like carbon fiber. The box clearly states "carbon fiber film". This IS NOT a carbon fiber barrel. In fact, the "film" is so smooth, I really doubt that it is carbon fiber - but I suppose it could be.

Tactical choke.

It's a really neat looking gun, and at $449 (today and tomorrow) may not be a bad deal. I just don't know. There's NOTHING about this gun on the Remington website or the "carbon fiber film".

Cobra Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Howdy,

Is this the same as Black TriNyte® Corrosion Control , as found on the 870 Marine?

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... magnum.asp

I was already looking at this shotgun at Dick's, and the sale price may do it for me. If anyone knows more, please share.

Thanks,
James

Post subject: Re: re: Carbon Fiber 870?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Nibble wrote:
I was already looking at this shotgun at Dick's, and the sale price may do it for me.

Which, the Marine Magnum or the one with the "carbon fiber" film bling?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Nibble wrote:
Howdy,

Is this the same as Black TriNyte® Corrosion Control , as found on the 870 Marine?

No.It's basically a cheesy sticker.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:21 am 
Utility Grade

I was talking about the shotgun in question (not the Marine). Is it an otherwise factory original 870 tac w/ fixed stock, extended tube and tac choke, that has a "cheesy sticker" covering the barrel, or is there any other fundamental difference? For the price is this not a good deal? I am seriously looking at buying today, so if there is something other than the barrel finish please enlighten me ASAP.

Thanks,
James

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

I will say this about the "carbon fiber film". If it is simply a "contact paper" type application, it is very well done.

I looked the gun over very, very closely. The barrel, receiver, and tube are all finished with the carbon fiber look. (Actually, I looked at it again, and I would say a more accurate description is that it looks like snake scale/skin.) I looked very carefully at the edges of all surfaces to try to find the "edge" or boundary of the coating and I couldn't. It looks almost like a photo applique - smooth with no surface texture.

On balance, I think the gun, @ $449 through today) is reasonably priced (not a steal).

My only question continues to be how well the finish would hold up over time and whether it would "de-laminate" from the metal surface. It could be a real ugly mess if that finish starts pealing-off. It's a real pity Remington doesn't at least acknowledge this finish option on its website and give us the info to understand the technology being used.

My advice is that if you like the 870 Express and the look of the gun, you should just get it.

I don't believe Remington would put out something they know will fall apart, and these tactical SGs aren't going to get any cheaper in the months ahead. (I note several of the internet web sites have raised their prices on these HD SGs by ~ $40-50 over the past few days while indicating the guns are backordered.

CobraMan

Last edited by CobraMan on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nibble wrote:
I was talking about the shotgun in question (not the Marine). Is it an otherwise factory original 870 tac w/ fixed stock, extended tube and tac choke, that has a "cheesy sticker" covering the barrel, or is there any other fundamental difference? For the price is this not a good deal?

You be the judge, but the #25077 Express 6+1 synthetic can usually be bought for around $325 before any sales or rebates, depending on the store:
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -round.asp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Austin12gauge:

Well... the couple of internet sources I just checked have the normal model # 25077 HD on sale @ $340 and backordered. That model doesn't come with the Tactical Extended Rem Choke, but I'm sure the choke isn't worth $100.

So.. I would agree it appears one is paying a premium for the "carbon fiber film", that "snake skin look", the "Tactical Extended Rem Choke", and the "bricks and mortar" source (Dick's) , but at the moment, given what the 25077 guns are going for, I don't think the comparison is quite as bad as your post suggests.

Still much cheaper to search the pawn shops and source one there if one has the time and gas to prowl the circuit...

CobraMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

CobraMan wrote:
........, but at the moment, given what the 25077 guns are going for, I don't think the comparison is quite as bad as your post suggests.

As bad as my posts suggests????? I said around $325. To me that is a little above or below.

Able Ammo had them at $313, but they are out of stock: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=84783

GunBroker current auction Buy Now price of $325 minus $30 rebate: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =116938722

I guess i don't get your point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Austin12gauge:

We're basically on the same page with this. Just a couple of nuances....

1. The $30 rebate applies to any 870 purchase so it is irrelevant to the comparison. (It would discount the $449 cost of the "snake skin special" to $419)

2. The gun you're describing doesn't have the Tactical Choke which seems to be worth $50+ based on similar Rem choke prices (but I haven't found it priced by itself yet.)

3. It does a hot-to-trot prospective buyer little good to compare an item they are holding in their their hand to a cheaper item that is out of stock with an unknown availability date.

Having said all of that, I'm agreeing with you that gun seems overpriced based on function - but perhaps not on form [:)] depending on the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, at this point (Sat. night), the Dicks snake skin special has gone off-sale and is back up to $499 (at least where I am). Don't think they'll move many at that price.

Got to run :)

CobraMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I own this shotgun. Cannot believe the rocket science. It's a 870 Express with a doorbreach/flashsuppressor/choke, 18" with 8 shell magazine. It has a 2mm real carbon fibre veneer that it quite adequate to crack skulls without so much as a scratch, and mimicks the tooled carbon fibre dashboards of modern supercars. It only wraps the barrel and receiver. I had no intention of buying a $500 version of a $250 gun but until you look at all the ridiculous gimmicky Mossbergs and compare to any other Remingtons, (the giant stack of all the other fine and expensive shotguns outprice themselves), this shotgun is a bargain and worth the extra coin. It's not a Benneli M4, its 1/3 the price for a reason.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sounds like it could be hydrodipped.