ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember cutts compensators?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have noticed that many older shotguns from the 1950's and 60's are fitted with cutts compensators. I remember seeing a few of these ungainly looking contraptions on shotguns in the dove fields when I was a kid. Did they really reduce recoil? Are they obsolete or did they just go out of vogue? One of my buddies blames them for his hearing loss. He claims that he borrowed a gun with one and put several boxes of shells through it on a hunting trip back in the days when no one hunted with ear protection. He said that when he got in the car to go home he could not hear the radio. Do they really increase noise that much?

Just curious, ES

Post subject: re: Remember cutts compensators?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I owned two different guns with the Cutts system. Yes they are a bit noisier (much like ported barrels) but doubt they caused your buddy's hearing loss after one trip. While the may look a little ungainly there has never been another choke system out there that patterned as well. Both my guns produced awesome patterns no matter what you fed them. I still have some of the tubes in case I ever pick up another one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Rem. 11-48 28ga with one on it. It is horrendously loud. The first time I used it was on a wooded sporting clays course and it blew leaves off the branches of the trees. The guys in my squad moved mack about 10-15 yards whenever it was my turn. I used it in a layout boat out in Green Bay and then took it off the barrel. They do seem to reduce recoil and they do produce nice patterns. I was wondering if anyone ever made a collar to wrap around them to shut off the slots.

Post subject: Re: re: Remember cutts compensators?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

ShotgunT wrote:
While the may look a little ungainly there has never been another choke system out there that patterned as well. Both my guns produced awesome patterns no matter what you fed them.

I agree...

Cutts do a pretty good job on recoil as well. I shot a whole round of sporting clays using Nitro 27 factory loads and felt no worse for wear than if they had been my 1oz loads! They were loud....

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I collect Winchester Model 12's, I have Cutts on three of them. the 12,20, and the 28. I truly believe that the reduce the recoil, at least on the 12ga. They also throw a fantastic pattern. I do have a question though, when I Recieved my 28 ga, it came with a 20 ga. spreader tube in the Cutts, a friend of mine also has a Model 12 28ga, and it also has a 20ga spreader in the Cutts. Any one know why this would be????I'm now looking for a Model 42 with a Cutts on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Neal Kelly wrote:
when I Recieved my 28 ga, it came with a 20 ga. spreader tube in the Cutts, a friend of mine also has a Model 12 28ga, and it also has a 20ga spreader in the Cutts. Any one know why this would be????

Neal,

An old friend told me the Cutts body was the same for both 20ga and 28ga. He went on to say some skeet shooters would use the 20ga spreader tube in their 28ga Cutts guns for the maximum possible pattern spread. He wasn't sure the pattern opened a significant amount more or not.
This might be a good test for you to do and see if/or what the pattern affect would be??
My friend sold his Model 12 28ga (with Cutts) several years back and still kicks himself!

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:04 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Model 12 Skeet in 12 gauge with a Cutts. I don't believe the Cutts reduced recoil or made it any louder. While I'm not a fan of the look of that big old Cutts hanging on the end of the barrel, I don't notice it at all when shooting skeet. The best thing about the Cutts for me is that it allowed me to add a Model 12 Skeet to my collection. There is no way that I could afford that Model 12 Skeet if the previous owner had not added the Cutts to the original WS-1 choked barrel. So the biggest upside to the Cutts in my opinion is that it makes a few truly excellent classic pump guns affordable for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:59 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I inherited a number of shotguns with Cutts. 6 are M12s, 2 are M42s and 3 are M31s. All are skeet versions from the '40s & '50s. Also, I inherited other guns with Cutts that are hunting versions. I have patterned all of the skeet guns and several of the others. The patternsof the skeet guns are exellent and consistent. The patterns of the other Cutts chokes are, also, very good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

winmod12 wrote:
I don't believe the Cutts reduced recoil or made it any louder.

You're kidding us, right?

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I have and shoot two M-12's (12 and 20) and a Rem. 11-48 28 gauge with Cutts Compensators. They are loud, but they also do a darn fine job of producing a decent patten and reducing recoil - especially with the 12 gauge. I think Lyman claimed a 30% recoil reduction. I've only patterned the 20 gauge and it's full choke tube produced full choke patterns at 40 yards. With chilled shot the patterns averaged 72 to 75%. I am happy with the results. For you less than old timers, if you shot skeet with a gun with a single barrel before the mid-1960's, it probably had a Cutts Compensator. They were the winning combination of the time.

Post subject: Re: Remember cutts compensators?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:56 am 
Utility Grade

My posting is almost a decade dated from the first posting on this subject. I had a cutts compensator put on each of my Remington 870 guns (I have a full range of barrels from 12 through .410) specially made for me in the 1970's for competition skeet shooting. Dad and I shot Father / Son tournaments. My first year with this configuration, we won the Illinois F/S AA championship which I attributed to the pattern from these modifications (Dad shot 243/250. I aced my round for the first time). Many of the competitors commented on my guns being louder than the other 870s on the course.

I haven't and likely will never upgrade my 1100s or my singular model 12 Winnie.