ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beretta 39__ identification (Urika, Xtrema, etc).
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 pm 
Utility Grade

So a 3901 is the same as a 390, with the exception of a rounded receiver and bolt lock lever? Would a 390 still be available for purchase from a retailer as brand new if they came out in 1999? I'm looking at my local store and they have both the 390 and 3901 available for sale from the warehouse with the 3901 being $200 more. It doesn't seem worth the extra money just for the differences mentioned.

They shall mount up with wings like eagles... Isaiah 40:31

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Achord92 wrote:
Would a 390 still be available for purchase from a retailer as brand new if they came out in 1999? I'm looking at my local store and they have both the 390 and 3901 available for sale from the warehouse ...
That 390 might be what is often called the "WalMart 390". It is now available at some other big-box stores as well as WalMart. It is really the same thing as a 3901, maybe downgraded a little as far as cosmetics are concerned, and it may lack a few of the accessories that come with a 3901, like extra stock shims.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

On the question of dates still to be found at retailers. My Beretta 391 was made several (4) years before I bought it. I bought a Browning Citori NIB this year that was made in 1997! :lol: They can float around some stores almost forever!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Beretta AL-390-12 GA. sport marked on the frame, on the barrel it says super sporting, it is a 3" magnum 30" long, ported barrel with 3 chokes numbered 0,2,&4 of which I don't know what the numbers mean. Serial number U56104E. Anything that anyone can tell me about this gun would be appreciated. It was my deceased best friends. Thanks!
John Roberts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Just to help add to this thread:
The AL390 sporting originally had a stepped rib. They introduced a Flat rib before the 391 came out.

A generic differences between the 390 and 391:
The 391 was developed to make the slimmer forearm. The new forearm included a few changes to the gas system. The forearm nut on the 391 has a spring included, where the 390 forearm nut does not. The srping on the 391 gas releif system is attached with nuts ( harder to clean than a 390 with a "loose" gas srping)

Two other differences that are meaningful for a Sporting shooter.
The 391 added a "buffer" in the back of the reciever. The shell lifter arm design was also changed between the 390 and 391. Both of these have proven to increase the number of FTF on the 391. Mnay Sporting shooters have retro fitted the old style 390 shell lifter arm to help with this issue.

One of my 391 buffers came apart after a few rounds, and I removed the buffer. ( The reciever in the 390 is the same design and does not include the buffer.) I had already changed the lifter arms on my 391s, but still had more FTF on the 391's than I had on 390s. Removing the buffer had made my 391 as reliable ( from a FTF standpoint! ) as my older 390s. That may not be as big an issue to a Hunter with heavier loads, but for Sporting clays tournements, where misfires are counted, removing that buffer has helped.
Those are my thoughts on the differences I've found over the years.

Also the Urikas can be found with both moble choke and Optima chokes. ( I think that has been covered previously)

I've also owned both Seminole and Balistic modified Berettas. They had shriving buisnesses modifing and overboring (and lenghting forcing cones) Beretta auto before the Optima bores came out. My favorite 391 is a Urika with the standard moble choke barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

mod70 wrote:
I have a Beretta AL-390-12 GA. sport marked on the frame, on the barrel it says super sporting, it is a 3" magnum 30" long, ported barrel with 3 chokes numbered 0,2,&4 of which I don't know what the numbers mean. Serial number U56104E. Anything that anyone can tell me about this gun would be appreciated. It was my deceased best friends. Thanks!
John Roberts

If you look on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine loading port near the forearm you'll see some symbols. Inside a box there should be 2 letters, a "B" and a second letter (BH, BI, BN, etc.). If you list what you see, then we can tell you what year it was manufactured.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:52 am 
Tournament Grade

that settled all my qeerys about my teknys stonecoat thanks!

mossberg 500e .410

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

I went up to the AR Bunker today and checked out a Beretta 390. It shouldered nicely, had a slim forearm grip that I like, and a nice LOP. I think it will suit me fine for turkey and duck (I'm tired of pumps). I can't really find which model this is, and wanted some insight if you guys can help.

The receiver is stamped "Made in USA" and the barrel is stamped "Stoeger made in Hatsan Turkey" or something like that. Now I know Beretta owns Benelli and all their umbrella companies (Stoeger/Franchi/Uberti), but I can't find anything on this gun anywhere. It looks identical to the 3901 on the Beretta page here:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3...zen-synthetic/

The only difference is that the Beretta sticker on the bottom side of the forearm said 390 not 3901, and the one I looked at didn't really have a recoil pad like this one pictured.

I remember Wal Mart sold the Beretta 390's for a while a few years back, but I looked and apparently those had a semi-humpback which this one doesn't. So it's not the Wal Mart version. Any idea? It's new with box and all the chokes for $559

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Still not clear on difference between a Tekny and urika. What" finish differences" ? Any insight greatly appreciated as I shop for a 39x .

Post subject: Re: Beretta 39__ identification.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
I don't know what ST means, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with steel or with trap. It might relate to the shape of the receiver at the back - either semi-humpback or rounded. My guess is it refers to the semi-humpback shape. Which type is yours?

Another possibility is that ST means "Standard". I know that the WalMart 390, which has the semi-humpback receiver, is described on the factory box as 390 Standard, but the letters ST do not appear on the gun or on the box.

ST= sparatutto. Loosely translated, it means "shoots all."

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought one of the few remaining 3901 Target RL models. I am female and needed a short stock. All other shotguns I tried were way to big. This one has an adjustable stock and I use it with the shortest (youth) stock set up. I know there is a guy in Kansas that has a few of the remaining Target RL's out there. He bought the remaining supply from Beretta. This is an amazing gun for new shooters and women.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Hurt my shoulder ast month (torn Laburm), cannot close my O/Us. My buddy let me shoot his AL391 Urika2 (RL), Loved it, and was able to continue skeet shooting (limited). Iv'e since bought it.
I'm looking for a 28 or 30" replacement barrel for the future, Beretta has replacement barrels advertised for the "390_3901". Will these fit my Urika2? If not, can anyone send me a link where I can get one>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Field Grade

how about updating the thread with info of newer models like A400 and any others and their differences from older ones

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Good info, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

Question regarding AL391 Urika Models

I have recently ran across 2 different synthetic versions, both WITHOUT the rubberized texture on the stock and forearm. Both were advertised as AL391 Urika Synthetic models.

I cant find any information from Beretta that these were ever an official catalogued item. I would prefer the black synthetic version without the rubber texture, but do not want to get stuck with a "WalMart" run gun.

Thanks for any info.

Jake

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

JP McNeal wrote:
Question regarding AL391 Urika Models

I have recently ran across 2 different synthetic versions, both WITHOUT the rubberized texture on the stock and forearm. Both were advertised as AL391 Urika Synthetic models.

I cant find any information from Beretta that these were ever an official catalogued item. I would prefer the black synthetic version without the rubber texture, but do not want to get stuck with a "WalMart" run gun.

Thanks for any info.

Jake

I have a Beretta AL390 Gold Sport, An NRA edition 3901, and the WalMart "canoe paddle" 390. Other than the furniture differences, they all run equally well. I bought the 3901 to be a backup for my sporting 390 as I shoot it on NSCA targets. I bought my WalMart 390 for a duck gun. It has run extremely well in all types of weather. I'm considering getting another one if the price is right.
The NRA gun came with the smooth plastic furniture but I have seen some standard 3901s with the rubberized texture as well, almost gray in color.