All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Po' Man's Boss
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kyrie wrote:
chorizo wrote:
Back action and coil springs?

Seems likely. The Zabala lock pictured in this thread is from a Derby two barrel (12/20 ga.) gun.

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=206181

That is what I was comparing it to, but this one is a 5 pin version, albeit, the pins for those 5 are exactly in the same place as the 6 pin gun of yours pictured in the thread. Maybe the sidelock had the piece that retains the coil spring milled from the sidelock instead of screwed on.

I am also with you. As someone that hears cases on conduct, because some other guy is doing it an getting away with it, has no bearing on the case at hand. He will eventually get caught too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Educate me please gentlemen, just what are the ramifications of shooting steel in this gun?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=206676

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=205711

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=206356

Do some reading!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for the links chorizo. I read every word in these threads and links several times to try to gain additional knowledge and a more thorough understanding of shooting steel in Spanish guns.

I have arrived at a personal decision that I'm comfortable with on what steel loads, if any, I choose to shoot in this built in 1988 Derby. My decision was based not only with info garnered from your supplied links, but also on direct conversations with the importer, American Arms, regarding its ability to safely handle steel, conversations I've had with Arrieta regarding shooting steel in their guns (I own an Arrieta 570 12-ga. built in 1996 that also doesn't have the fleur-di-lis stamping), measuring wall thickness at the chambers, wall thickness just in front of the chambers, wall thickness down the tubes of my gun and lastly--the empirical "finding out for myself" experience I've had with the gun over the past two decades.

Best Regards,
bamboozler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As I have said before, your fingers, your face, your gun, so it is your choice.

I just don't like to see it being advocated in a public forum for those who haven't been through such a detailed decision making process on their particular gun. It is not responsible to say what you did and then let everyone assume they can do it without going through the same decision process or making an informed decision.

The CIP handbook on steelshot says it all.

http://www.chircuprodimpex.ro/produse/a ... nition.pdf

If you exceed their recommendations, you are placing yourself and others in the immediate area around you to an excessive and unreasonable risk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Howdy: I hope someone on this old thread is still active. I have the same American Arms sidelock, 2 trigger shotgun, love it, but have lost the lever on the upper left hand plate. Not sure how, also not sure what that part is called and what it's purpose is. It always seemed more ornamental, but afraid to use the gun until can find the part, which may be tough.
Help!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

GrayDogIdaho,

Are you referring to the thumbscrew lever (aka: crank-headed crosspin screw) on the exterior of the left hand sideplate? If so, its purpose is to hold the left and right sidelock plates together against the stock and facilitate easy removal of the sidelock plates for inspection and cleaning of the lockworks. I would not use the gun until the thumbscrew lever is replaced.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi