ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bardstown are Shooting?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 am 
Limited Edition

Living in the Bardstown area, looking for a good gun club. Any skeet/trap/s.c fields around? I know of Knob Creek for rifle/pistol, but its not quite what im lookin for.... Little TOO unrefined. Any suggestions on clubs / fields would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Bardstown are Shooting?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:37 am 
Limited Edition

Hahn Ridge (Bill Hahn) shoots on Friday nights. They are near Chaplin.
Franklin Co. Sportsmens Club shoots on Wednesdays. Their website is: www.franklincosportsmensclub.com
Anderson Co. Sportsmens Club shoots on Thursdays starting in March. www.acsc-ky.us

These Clubs all shoot trap and/or trap games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's about an hour away, but check out Bluegrass Sportsman's League.

I live about 45 min away and still make the drive weekly (well usually, been busy the past couple of weeks).

www.bgslinc.com

Skeet, trap, sporting clays, and a brand new covered 5 stand perfect for winter shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

There is a Fern Creek club in or near Jefferson Co. Taylorsville also has a club that shoots trap. I do not know the location of these, but I will ask some of the folks I shoot with for directons and info. Being located in Bardstown you may be able to get info on the above clubs from local gun shops.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 am 
Limited Edition

Thus far it seems that Jefferson County Gun Club is the closest, most diverse field. Lookin at 8 skeet fields, couple trap, and a dozen sporting clays. All in all, seems a decent place to start. Now on to the next problem, having never shot on a formal field. Been to some grassroots shooting, and one formal trap shoot, but not to participate. If anyone has some info on this location, as to formal/informal treaching, that'd be great. Might jus have to throw the guns in the truck and head on out. If i show up in the hellish snowy mess, thay gotta know i'm dedicated right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Hillbilly, Hey, I live in Bardstown also. We shoot at and are members of Jefferson Gun Club, it's open year round on Sat. Sun. and Wed. It's up off Brooks Rd. about 35 minutes from home. Great place to shoot trap., skeet and sporting clays. Anual dues are 150.00 dollars but it's open to the public if you don't want to join. Sad to say we don't have a sportsman's club here in Bardstown, it sure would be nice. If you would like to check the place out give me a call and we can meet up. Abbyridge
call John at 502-331-9318

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Thats great! I just drove clear past Danville alone today JUST to shoot 2 -100 rounds of 5 Stand. Noone else was open, and it was the first decent day in months. All things willing, my buddy/co-worker and I will be out at Jeff tomorow. Hopin the rain stays away till late late late afternoon. First time at a real field (today definately does not count...) if we really do make it out tomorow. My number is 270.304.7186 if you're ever short someone or want a terrible shot to tag along. If nothin else, I make most shooters around me look REAL good. Won't know till probably late mornin, or at least till we know about the rain,but I might end up giving ya a call before we make it out. It'd be great to have someone show us the ropes. Thanks for the number, really appreciate the heads up on the field and the help. Hope to see ya out there soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hillbilly, We'll definetly try to get together soon. We just shoot for fun not trophies. It will probably be a few weeks before we can get out to the club do to some recent health issues but we are looking forward to some good shooting soon. If you get out to Jefferson Gun Club before we meet up please let me know what you think of the place. Hope to bust some clays with you soon. By the way does your wife or girlfriend shoot? My wife started shooting 2 years ago and it's always nice to have another lady join in even if she just runs the trap. Thanks,,, John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about health issues. Never fun to deal with, big or small. Hope things are on the upturn. My wife, bless her heart, has gone shooting with me once, and it was just with my Ruger 17/77. She was quite a shot by the end of 200 rounds, and really enjoyed it. She has WATCHED my old man, bro and I out in the field, but I can't convince her to throw a 20 ga on her shoulder and just let it rip. She'll come around. Poor thing has been so busy the last few years, working as an RN and finishing her B.S night ans weekends. Once it all calms down, or she needs to blow steam again, she may join. Till then, I got some time to practice so she doesn't outshoot me too often.. :)

That said, if i DO make it out, i'll definately throw my opinion up here. Look forward to seein ya out there, maybe give me a taste of how it's really done. Part of the reason my buddy Aaron was invited to go with me, he's never shot a skeet field either. Terrible of me, I know. hehe, it'll be a blast, i'm sure. Hope to see ya out in Jefferson soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hilbilly, Small world, my wife has worked in the health care field for over 35 years. She works part time at Flaget as a flobotomist ( bloodsucker) She has M.S. so she can't work much anymore. She used to go with me to the gun club and be my trap puller and one day decided she wanted to try shooting. That was it, a new hobby at 55. Been a lot of fun for us the last two years. See you at the club.,, John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Well John, I joined the Club today. Walked in, first time on a REAL field, and felt like I belonged my whole life. All the guys in there were more than friendly. Got introduced to Homer, Mitch, and Dave, and they let me tag along for a 50 round of Sporting Clays. Had a complete BLAST! Soon as we got back, got that membership. The weather was perfect, all three gave me some great pointers, and Mitch thoroughly embarassed me with a .410 on the bottom and 3/4 ouncers on top. Wow can he shoot. My wife is starting to second guess her decision to buy me that Legacy yesterday and tell me to get out of the house and find a hobby. :) Never have to tell me again. Looking forward to seein you out there. Still havent ever shot a round of skeet or trap, definately have try my hand at those next time. Wouldn't mind doing the 100 round of s.c. too. Really like the club, the atmosphere, and most of all the people. Two thumbs up doesn't do them justice. Gimme a call if ya ever need a wingman, I'm there!
Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kyle, Welcome to the club! I'm really glad you liked it enough to join. Now we'll have someone from Bardstown to shoot with. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife. There is a club shoot March 7th, we hope to be there weather permitting, perhaps we'll meet up then if not before. There is always plenty if food at any event the club has. Even the semi- annual clean-up days are a good time. We are starting our third year at Jefferson and have enjoyed every minute.
See you soon,,, John