ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 pm 
Utility Grade

So, I took in a nice boar to be mounted at my local taxidermy shop. Long story short 3 years and 3 months later the hide has been taned and that is far as he has got. He said it will be done within a month from yestaerday. Should I just pay him for the taning and take it somewhere else? What is your opinions?

Post subject: Re: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

3 years and 3 months is far too long for ANY taxidermy work! When you dropped it off, how long did he say it would take?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:37 am 
Utility Grade

He said it would take 12-16 months. He has completed all his 09' deer. If it is not done by the middle of april I will take it somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wow ... 3 years is a bit much ... actually its alot more than a bit much IMO. The few people that I've dealt with try to turn them around much quicker than that.

What's his reason for the long delay? Just curious.

Only problem with taking the hide somewhere else - is you're going right back to the back of the line again. Although at this point you may still get it back quicker :?

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

As far as taking the hide somewhere else, I wouldn't worry too much about it, provided it was tanned properly in the first place. About 20 years ago, my son shot a white tail piebald. Instead of taking it to the taxidermist who normally does my heads, we decided to take it to a new place. When the taxidermist saw the cape, he said that he was a collector and offered to buy it from us. We, of course, said no. To make a long story short, after 18 months, the work was still not done. He gave us several different excuses, one about it being a small deer and he could not get a properly sized manikin. After another three months, I finally asked for the cape and skull and took it to my regular taxidermist. In another three months the deer swas done with no problems.

The moral of the story, you need to deal with reputable people.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My taxidermist tries to get everything out within 12 months. I don't think he has the space to store 2 seasons worth, let alone 3+.

He's also told me that waiting on the tanning is the long part so you night not have much longer to wait.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BrowningBrian wrote:
My taxidermist tries to get everything out within 12 months. I don't think he has the space to store 2 seasons worth, let alone 3+.

He's also told me that waiting on the tanning is the long part so you night not have much longer to wait.

Considering that you dredged up a 2 year old thread and that boar hide is now 5 years old, I'd certainly HOPE it's been resolved by now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Considering that you dredged up a 2 year old thread and that boar hide is now 5 years old, I'd certainly HOPE it's been resolved by now.[/quote]

Hahaha, my bad, I was reading on my phone and didn't see the dates. I sure hope he's gotten his mount back by now as well.