ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't remove magazine tube from Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:20 pm 
Utility Grade

While I was doing some shooting this weekend, the spring inside the magazine tube on my Mossberg 500 got bound up. I'm not really sure how or why this happened, but I need to remove the magazine tube to remove the spring and find out what the problem is. I've got the gun pulled apart all the way down to the reciever and the magazine tube. I've tried wrapping a cloth around the magazine tube and using a pair of vise-grips to unscrew it, but it won't budge. I've even tried spraying it down with WD-40 several times, but the thing just won't budge. I'm affraid that if I clamp down on it any harder with the visegrips, I'm going to damage the tube. From what I've been told, the magazine tube should unscrew pretty easy. What am I doing wrong? Why won't this thing come off? Would a heatgun work by heating up the joint?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Can't remove magazine tube from Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:45 am 
Tournament Grade

I had the same problem with a rubber strap wrench, and used a vice grip. I can't get my tube off, either. Won't budge.

To those who have gotten theirs off. . .it isn't reverse-threaded is it?? I have no reason to believe it is, I'm just asking.

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:28 pm 
have you taken the foe arm off?that would give you a space to grab it with both hands--as for tearing up the tube,i would not worry ,a new one is no more than $20 --i would be more concerned with messing up the threads in the receiver---perhaps spray alot of wd-40 a few times a day and let sit for about three days then see if you can unstick it--it appears that maybe at sometime some moisture has gotten to it perhaps rusting it some or maybe it was cross threaded the last time it was but back together

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey guys,
Its been suggested to use leather with that vise grips at the very end of the mag tube, and put the reciever in a vise with padding. Thats what im going to do to mine if the mag tube starts squeaking again. Before I just oiled my finger, stuck it in the tube and lubed it that way.
Chad_E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not reverse threaded at all. I take mine off all the time. The key is to keep em clean so they don't get bound up.

I shoot mossburgs better than any other shotgun I have ever shouldered, thats why I use them. But, they to require some TLC, and you have to strip them down and clean EVERYTHING after every 100 rounds or so to ensure flawless performance.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:41 am 
Thing to try - one of those rubber strap wrenches. You can get them at Sears. You loop it around the tube and pull it tight, the handle is designed to tighten on the strap as you turn so it won't slip. The rubber gets an excellent grip on the metal tube and you won't deform the mag tube when applying pressure like you might with a vice grips. These rubber strap wrenches are also great for all kinds of hard to remove things. Also, use some penetrating oil on the mag tube first, give it time to soak in. If you still have a problem try applying some heat to the area but (ahem) do it by degrees. You don't want to heat it up so hot you deform the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:12 am 
The mag tube on my A500 was secured with some thread locker, not the common Loktite stuff but some very hard blue colored lacquer-like substance.
Putting the receiver in a padded vise and using a self-made wrench (made from two 1 ¼ X 1 ¼ X 20 hardwood bars, fastened together with 2 machine screws with a hole roughly the tube o/d drilled through the centerline of the attached halves and then covered by a thin rubber strap) at the muzzle-end of the tube did the trick eventually, but I had to torque hard. The rubber strap wrench I tried first would slip, but I would start with this for keeping things simple.
Make sure the vise has large pads to cover the better part of the receiver and secure the receiver with the threaded tube portion in the center of the vise jaws; applying some heat with a hairdryer to the receiver end of the tube might be a good idea.
Once I got the tube out, I cleaned the threads of the remnants of the blue stuff, using a dental pick; if I had to do this again, I'd try warming the threads with the hairdryer to soften the thread locker first, then using a plastic scraper on the threads for avoiding scratching the metal with the dental pick. The thread uses a right-hand twist.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:02 am 
Field Grade

I had the same problem. Soak the threads with liquid wrench overnight. Then buy a 7/16 20 bolt and nut. Put the nut on the bolt and screw the bolt and nut into the mag. Tighten the nut against the mag tube and back out the bolt with a wrench. The mag tube will come right out. Put it back the same way except not too tight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

[color=#8000BF][/color]
I just thought I would share a simple way I used to remove a Mossberg SA-20 magazine tube:
I took and old bicycle inner tube, and a piece of wood (closet bar to hang clothes on, about 2 feet long) I wrapped the inner tube around the magazine tube and the wood bar in kind of a figure 8 pattern and , then I just turned the wood to tighten the grip and then unscrewed the magazine tube like it was nothing, using the leverage of the wood and the grip of the inner tube... same theory as a strap oil filter tool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:45 am 
Limited Edition

Do NOT use any sort of pliers or Visegrips. Use a rubber strap wrench on the far end of the mag tube. If you have a problem getting enough grip (on a blued tube), brush on a thin coat of contact cement and let it dry. You will get plenty of grip and you can remove the contact cement with carb cleaner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You need to use heat to break loose the Locktite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not all the tubes are held in by loctite...I have removed at least 50 in the past 6 months they are all different in this respect as well as how hard they are torqued in,some very tight and some not.Easiest method I have found is to use a strap wrench with some very fine (around 1200 grit) sand paper wrapped around the tube...pulls it off easily every time without marking the tube in any way.The receiver is held in a vice lined with thick rubber pads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use heat. I use a propane torch turned way down to a very small flame. Heat the base of the tube, and you will know when it is hot enough-it will smoke a little when the threadlock compound melts a little. The tube can then be turned out quite easily. All I use is a regular pliers after wrapping rubber around the end of the tube. I do this often and it has always worked.