ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: #8 shot anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Subman, the only difference you will notice is that #8 smacks the target harder, as for using that to drill and assume as per your comment, not enough difference mate. I personally shoot #8 only and have done for years, but it's just one of those things that I do, bit like trying to use the same cartridge once I figure what works well, or the same reloading components over and over,,,,the thing I really like is the solid hits that #8 provides, it does hit harder than #9 but does it make any difference?? Probably NOT, but Skeet is a mind game, so if I see a lot of excellent solid hard hits, well I just feel better for it and maybe just maybe perform that one extra target better

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Unless He's changed in the last couple of years or so, Todd Bender, arguably one of the top three (3) Skeet shooters in the World, routinely shot #8's in the 12 and 20 gauges.

That should be a pretty good recommendation.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Today I went shooting at Ft. Hood in Killeen, Texas. There is the usual group that show up every Saturday, but what makes this site so much fun is we will have soldiers show up to shoot also. Many of them have never tried their hand at trap or skeet, but they want to give it a try. We try to show them how the games are played, and give them what ever pointers we can.

Today, we had a soldier show up who had a very old over/under 12 gauge. It was a Sears Roebuck Ted Williams model with fixed modified and full chokes. After shooting a round of trap he wanted to try his hand at skeet. We explained that the choke set-up on his gun was not particularly suitable for skeet, and I offered to let him use my gun, but he decided to try it with his gun. So here he was shooting modified and full with #8 shot. He had never shot skeet before, and we had to explain to him how the shots are taken at each station. To our amazement, that dude hit about 60% of his shots!

I guess it just goes to show, if you are on target, it really doesn't matter what you shoot. Hopefully he enjoyed it enought to come back for more!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For competition I shoot #9. For practice I shoot what ever I can find that's cheap. I even shoot reclaimed shot for 12 gauge practice. Don't want to shoot that through my subgauge tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perusing an old Alliant Reloaders Guide I came upon a dog-eared page that had a pellet count chart. My margin notes included:

Pellets, Size, Weight
461, #8, 1 1/8 ounce ***

512, #9, 7/8 ounce ***

:idea: There are more pellets in a standard 20 gauge load of #9s than #8s in a standard 12 gauge load. :idea:

Last edited by J.Fred_Muggs on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shoot #9 in my skeet loads... I need all the pellets I can get in the air. :)