ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birds on Long Island
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 am 
Field Grade

I'm sure this won't be replied to, because not many people know of this island that is part of New York. But where can I go duck hunting? I have never gone hunting before, and my dad has gone hunting since he was a kid with my grandfather in Maine.

Would it be a good idea to join DU?

Post subject: Re: Birds on Long Island
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have fished Long Island (More specifically Montauk, but have never hunted there) so I cannot help with your first question. As an aside, I know my father-in-law (now passed away) used to hunt pheasant on long island in the potato fields, but that is definitely in the past.

Yes, join DU.

Also, Duck Hunting Chat has a New York forum that may be able to help you.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/vi ... 14cb70dd50

Another option, though it may not be feasible for you due to cost, is seek out a guide in your area.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:25 am 
Field Grade

Thank you for your information. I actually live against the border of the biggest sod farm on LI which was a potato farm. I will definetely look into DU.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Duck hunters will be VERY hesitant to give up their spots, moreover, I don't know any who will give them up on a public forum.

There are so few places to hunt ducks these days, and when you find a honeyhole, keep it to yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drsfmd,

I agree. No one will share a specific spot on a forum, but perhaps if the young man is able to make contact with some individuals, they can at least point him in places to look. I would certainly not hesitate to help a young person interested in getting into hunting...though I might not give him the GPS coordinates to my covers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Field Grade

You can't reall hide anything here anyways. Its all populated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

If you contact the local game warden he should help you finda place to go for what ever game you want to hunt, In the upstate areas they get complaints on various animals and are looking for some one to eliminate the problem. I know the DEC has a list for removing problem bevers. When they get calls they ussually pass along the information, You should get out and do some crow hunting, it would give you practice at shooting birds on the wing, extend your hunting season and open up new areas to hunt on as well. Check out www.CrowBusters.com for more information there. Have you thought about tieing in with someone from Upstate to go duck hunting with? I know the cost for the trip would be a little over a hundred bucks and a room over night, but you'd get to see how things are done with someone with expiereance and who has a dog to retrieve the birds.