Shotgun Forum banner

Pre-war Superposed? - Post your Pictures!

23K views 90 replies 26 participants last post by  Pre1898 
#1 ·
Dear Browning Prewar Superposed Lovers:

With all the recent postings about Pre-war Superposed Brownings, I just couldn't help myself. So here's some pics of my recent first purchase of a pre-war:

Serial number says it is a 1932 gun. But Glen at Browning says it invoiced and shipped in 1935 (the year my dad, who passed away last summer, was born, which makes it all the more special to me). Letter of Authenticity on the way.

Beautiful wood. Twin-single triggers, invented by JMB's son, Val Browning. Awesome!!

30" barrels. Solid rib. Twin ivory beads.

Tasteful engraving.

Some guns have "Browning Superposed" stamped on the rib, some don't. I'm glad this one does!

Love how the checkering comes to a point under the round knob. Browning should have stayed with this pattern.

Ah, the trademark horse shoe . . .

Love the shape of the safety, and the golden "S", and the tasteful engraving.

Browning Arms Co - Ogden, Utah and St. Louis, MO

Special "thanks" to:

** Dave Buffington (Tempter, Wordsmith, patient salesman, all-round good guy & Seller)
** NoDak Scotty, Lowgun (technical advisors)
** LTMFH, Musky Jack & Slugo (comrades in arms, pen-pals)

Thanks for your interest.

CFB

PS - Please post PICS and your story of your pre-war Super on this thread!!!

See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: oyeme
#14 ·
This thread deserves bumping, so...

Here's mine. It's completely unengraved except for the Browning logo on the bottom of the receiver, twin singles, 28" IC/Mod. It's been reblued at some point , and not the best job, so that's the only downside. Locks up firm with the lever just right of center. I wish I could say I shot it regularly but I can't put down that 725....

I'd like to pick up a pre war high grade to go with it :D

#18 ·
Here are two pictures of my 1939 Superposed c1(traces of color case hardening under top lever) It has 28"barrels choked 1/4&1/2. A very nice balance. Pictures are from a pheasant shoot in neighboring country Denmark. I have put in a pad to elongate the stock but I still have the original pad and no changes were done to the stock. I use this gun for most of my hunting as well as clay shooting.

Attachments

#20 ·
Beautiful ! The engraving is lovely on the C1's , very nice piece of wood and the gun looks as if it's been treated well it's whole life. It even has my favorite choke configuration.
Excuse my ignorance of bird hunting in Denmark ,but we're you hunting "Driven" birds or over dogs ?

#21 ·
captjsjr said:
Beautiful ! The engraving is lovely on the C1's , very nice piece of wood and the gun looks as if it's been treated well it's whole life. It even has my favorite choke configuration.
Excuse my ignorance of bird hunting in Denmark ,but we're you hunting "Driven" birds or over dogs ?
This wa from a driven pheasant hunt. If you are lucky you might also get a woodcock or two.

#22 ·
This 5xxx series Superposed has 31,7" barrels with the non crossfire rib choked 3/4&full. Horse shoe forend and a first generation sst. It's not light weighing 8 pounds but the balance is beautiful and the swing is neither heavy or slow. A beautiful old sporter.
Some heathen file cut the trigger and put on a Monte Carlo replacement stock, both these transgressions must be taken care of. There is also a piece missing on the right side of the forend.
All in all a lovely old sporter that will get some much neede love.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Well folks, I may have messed up! :s

For years I've been jealous of Mr. Buffington because of all the gun auctions out on the east coast where he scores some mighty fine Brownings. Finally there was a decent auction in my neck of the woods in Wyoming. Lots of Winchesters, Colts, and other interesting guns. And guess what? There was a pre-war Superposed!!! :shock: Serial # 3405C. The auction guys didn't even have it marked "Superposed" or "pre-war" because they didn't know what they had. They didn't even know where to find the serial number! So I thought that, if it was a good and authentic Super, I might get it for a good price. So off I went to the auction preview to inspect the gun.

It had all of the characteristics that I like in a pre-war: horseshoe on the fore-end, twin-single trigger, "Browning Superposed" engraved on the rib, original butt plate; etc. But I didn't buy it!!!

What scared me away was the some of the engraving! The acanthus leaves look original and typical of Superposed engravings. The scallupped engraving at the breech-end of the barrels looked original, as was the engraving on the tang and the rear of the receiver and around the lever. But some of it doesn't look "factory" from the artists in Liege to me. The very deep engraving on the top of the barrel (in front of the little scallops) looks too deep to me; unlike the style and more shallow engraving of the times at Liege. The dog and the pheasant were a raised inlay type engraving that almost looks like engravings done in Japan.

[photos deleted]

Well, at least I got to see an interesting pre-war Superposed.

Thanks, guys! {hs#

CFB