Shotgun Forum banner

New Browning A5 "Click"?

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  RandyWakeman 
#1 ·
Many Benelli's are known to have the Benelli "click". Does the new A5 have a Browning "click"?

#3 ·
You had better hope it does, or something else to keep it from firing if it doesn't go cleanly, completely into battery.

Same for any auto loader.
Not good to go "bang" without being there!

#5 ·
Any "turn head" for want of a better term for the moment, bolt can have problems with going fully into battery, depending on machine tolerances, dirt, etc, etc.

So, what to do?
Make the tolerances bigger?

It's a trade off.

Sloppy or an occasional failure to seat completely?

Lastly, has there yet been enough time passed to make a judgement on the Browning?

Unless they have come up with some sort of "hold closed" device, (even more complexity), the very design is easy to "come back, out of battery" any way.

"Sloppy" would make it even more so.

#15 ·
I was just showing my hunting buddy this issue. I noticed that if you slowly release the bolt ,on the new A5, it will not go fully into battery, but it will still fire. I'll keep this in mind while trying to be quite on pheasant hunts.
If you simple release it, it doesn't have a problem. I can't imagine this will be a issue while cycling rounds.

#16 ·
Rake said:
I was just showing my hunting buddy this issue. I noticed that if you slowly release the bolt ,on the new A5, it will not go fully into battery, but it will still fire. I'll keep this in mind while trying to be quite on pheasant hunts.
If you simple release it, it doesn't have a problem. I can't imagine this will be a issue while cycling rounds.
You don't imagine that there will be a problem if it fires while "out of battery"?

#17 ·
I mean I shouldn't have this problem under normal operation. If it does occur, I'm not sure what will happen. I played around with my Beretta 1201F, which is pretty similar and it behaved the same when I lightly release the bolt. I've used it for many years and never had a problem.

#20 ·
Just last evening a friend, (game warden), was showing pictures of the results of a Ruger 10/22 that apparently fired while out of battery.

Blew the magazine into many pieces and didn't do the shooter's hand/arm any good either.
Just a lowly .22 rim fire.

#21 ·
People have complained for years about the proverbial "benelli click". Probably a good 95% or more of these can be attributed to either easing the bolt into battery, fiddling with the bolt handle while walking or sitting in a duck blind or a dirty/gummed up recoil spring assembly (I've seen it happen more times than I can count).

If the bolt is messed with or not permitted to go into battery as designed, that is with the full force of the recoil spring, ANY autoloder can be made to not go into battery (shotgun, rifle or pistol)...this is not simply a Benelli issue. I totally agree with Randy's point the A5 typically goes into battery with more force than many other guns and I have not experienced it myself nor heard of others that have had it happen.

#22 ·
I have a brand new Browning A5 Stalker 12ga, 3 1/2". I haven't fired it yet. I have noticed if I ease the bolt forward so it doesn't go into battery, take the safety off, and press the trigger it SEEMS to simultaneously go into battery and the hammer hit the firing pin. Can it actually fire out of battery, or is it going into battery first? It's a little terrifying, if I'm honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.