ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deer season almost here!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stands are ready and the plan is set. Season comes in on August 15th and I'm startin to get the itch! Anyone else gettin your preseason plan finished up?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Post subject: Re: Deer season almost here!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just got my new treestand (Guido's Web), so I need to start practicing a stealthy entrance / exit climb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

maggs01 wrote:
Just got my new treestand (Guido's Web), so I need to start practicing a stealthy entrance / exit climb

I had to Google that brand of treestand. Looks pretty nifty! I have a Summit climber that I love to use, but it's definitely an afternoon stand. I've never been able to climb quietly enough before daylight to hunt with it in the mornings. Is your Honey-Do list done yet? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SCShotgunHunter wrote:
Is your Honey-Do list done yet? :lol:

LOL... well, she wants to have a MAJOR remodeling project done for Christmas. So, I laid out the timeline. I explained... (and she's heard these timelines for the last 19 years)....

"If it ain't done by September 15 (opener of grouse season), it WON'T be done for Christmas".

So, she has put the carpeting shopping, tile shopping, and paint-buying into OVERDRIVE this week. :)
I CAN'T wait to get the paint brush and scaffolding in hand...

Gotta get'r Done!

Maggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 am 
Diamond Grade

maggs01 wrote:
SCShotgunHunter wrote:

LOL... well, she wants to have a MAJOR remodeling project done for Christmas. So, I laid out the timeline. I explained... (and she's heard these timelines for the last 19 years)....

"If it ain't done by September 15 (opener of grouse season), it WON'T be done for Christmas".

So, she has put the carpeting shopping, tile shopping, and paint-buying into OVERDRIVE this week. :)

Gotta get'r Done!

Maggs

This was several years ago... I actually paid two of my neighbor's boys to come help me with a honey-do task. Of course I waited until the wife was out of town to do it. And of course I took credit for all work completed. Although, I didn't plan on one of the little schitts coming by a couple weeks later and asking if there was any more work they could do for extra cash. Lesson learned. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SCShotgunHunter wrote:
maggs01 wrote:
SCShotgunHunter wrote:

Gotta get'r Done!

Maggs

This was several years ago... I actually paid two of my neighbor's boys to come help me with a honey-do task. Of course I waited until the wife was out of town to do it. And of course I took credit for all work completed. Although, I didn't plan on one of the little schitts coming by a couple weeks later and asking if there was any more work they could do for extra cash. Lesson learned. :shock: :lol:

hmmm.. Good lesson.. that could happen here.... THANKS! :)

Maggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 270 is ready to go. Now that 270 ammo is back on the shelves, I am stocking up. I usually don't use more than a box of ammo a year. A few to make sure that my scope is sighted in. It usually is. It is a Leopold. We have 7 tags with our license and opportunity to buy another set of tags.

There are too many deer in our area. Most farmers have agricultural depredation permits and wean out quite a few but not enough. We have over 8,000 acres in our club. Plenty of deer and black bear. Lots of cars being destroyed by hitting deer and a few bear. They can put a hurt on a vehicle.

Waiting ain't easy due to the fact that big game season doesn't start around these parts until mid-October. Since I have no choice, I'll read about you guys thinning out the herd.

“If you put your politicians up for sale, as the US does … then someone will buy them — and it won’t be you: you can’t afford them.” Juan Cole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

evbutler wrote:
My 270 is ready to go. Now that 270 ammo is back on the shelves, I am stocking up. I usually don't use more than a box of ammo a year. A few to make sure that my scope is sighted in. It usually is. It is a Leopold. We have 7 tags with our license and opportunity to buy another set of tags.

There are too many deer in our area. Most farmers have agricultural depredation permits and wean out quite a few but not enough. We have over 8,000 acres in our club. Plenty of deer and black bear. Lots of cars being destroyed by hitting deer and a few bear. They can put a hurt on a vehicle.

Waiting ain't easy due to the fact that big game season doesn't start around these parts until mid-October. Since I have no choice, I'll read about you guys thinning out the herd.

Ev,

The population is getting VERY out of control from your neck of the woods to South of mine. I went along on a couple of depredation "hunts" a few weeks ago. You never realize just how many deer you have until you ride around with a spotlight and count them. We stopped counting at 300 and three peanut fields had 40+ in each of them. That was from 9 - 10:30 p.m.!! Our season is in from 15 August through 1 January (shotgun, rifle, bow, muzzleloader, etc.). Two bucks per day, 12 either sex days (2 per day), and you can also purchase up to 4 doe tags. I know of several fellas that kill over 50/year and to my knowledge they are all kept for the meat. To some it sounds ridiculous, but it's warranted. The losses farmers incur are unbelievable. As well as the vehicle accidents that are the fault of deer.

It would suit me to change the season to a later date. August is the hottest time of year here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Done. The list that I know of... is complete. Remodeling is done... furniture... well....

I would rather buy a new shotgun, but I guess that we do need a place to sit after a hunt.

Still need to put together the mantle ... I'll get that by Thanksgiving.

so, now, I can hunt.

Maggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

maggs01 wrote:
Done. The list that I know of... is complete. Remodeling is done... furniture... well....

I would rather buy a new shotgun, but I guess that we do need a place to sit after a hunt.

Still need to put together the mantle ... I'll get that by Thanksgiving.

so, now, I can hunt.

Maggs

Looks good! Don't worry, you haven't missed much so far. I just killed my first of the season this past Saturday. A decent doe. There was a 12 year old boy that killed a monster on the second day of the season. Due to it being in velvet, the score couldn't be exact. Guesstimates put it around 160+. Weight was 235. Very nice buck and the kid didn't crack a smile in the pic. Nothing but teeth and antlers would've been seen if it were me in the pic! :lol: Good luck bud!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks and good luck.

Some of the neighbors were able to get out during a special 2 day hunt this past weekend. No time for me yet.

I'll get out in October.

Maggs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The ol' boy likes his fireplace. He's earned that spot.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

He's got the right idea Maggs! Especially with the weather we had last week. How was your deer season? Almost time for turkey birds now! My favorite season of all. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was able to fill one doe tag. I didn't see a buck to shoot, but I was able to watch a few deer. I was able to have a young buck bed down about 30 yards away. He'll be there for next year.

Deer season in Michigan was tough for many folks. Deer counts seem to be down in much of the state. One of the state areas that I hunt took a severe hit with EHD (blue-tongue)... The DNR figures they lost 300+ deer(in 2012). This is an area of 10 square miles of marsh/deer habitat. I hunted two full days and only saw 3 (three) deer. Usually, in this area, I would see between 15-25 in that time. With the loss of 30+ deer per square mile, I turned in my tags there and moved to a different area.

Another area that I hunt was froze up with snow. The property owner stated that with the early snowfall, the deer had yarded up and they were travelling a river bed about 1.5 miles away... I sat there (160 acre farm) and didn't see a deer in two days...

How was yours?

Maggs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sorry to hear that your season wasn't so great. I didn't know about the issues with EHD until reading an article several days ago. Terrible to hear how that's affecting the deer herd in many parts of the country. We have major issues with over population here. I killed no bucks this year, but I did get 8 does. I only kept 3 and the rest went to folks that wanted deer, but don't hunt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I killed 4 deer in Michigan during the regular seasons in October,Nov, December. I hunt a big swath of territory covering multiple counties in the southern part of the state. Some of the areas were hit hard by EHD for the past 2 years and have virtually no deer while others areas still have wayyyy too many deer. In fact I might be deer shooting this weekend with a damage permit close to where i live if the weather is at all tolerable.

Unfortunately we just don't have much balance in the herd in the southern part of the state. I really hope EHD proves to be helpful in the long run by reducing the herd to manageable number since it isnt happening from hunting. Then if we can keep enough pressure on them so that the population doesnt spike back up to unreasonable numbers the state might actually end up with a healthy herd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:22 am 
Utility Grade

A new hunting season starts.