Shotgun Forum banner

Surgery and My Skeet Game

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  AlexanderOgden 
#1 ·
I just had an umbelical hernia fixed by laparoscopy. I'm pretty sore but getting better every day. I was wondering if anyone else had this done and how it effected their clay shooting. I'm supposed to be off work for 3 weeks but was hoping to maybe start shooting again in 2. Right now I feel like a ball bat has hit me in the gut and ribs, but I've been trying to walk more today. I had the surgery Tuesday morning.

#4 ·
Can't help you with your specific surgery, but I do recommend, as someone who has tried to push through too soon after surgery, that you take your doctors recommendations and follow them as closely as you can.

#5 ·
Snotrub said:
Can't help you with your specific surgery, but I do recommend, as someone who has tried to push through too soon after surgery, that you take your doctors recommendations and follow them as closely as you can.
I gotcha!!

#8 ·
Follow your doctors orders. I've had a couple of heart procedures in the last year, and waited until I got the OK from the Doc to shoot.

#9 ·
I had an inguinal hernia repaired beginning of November; opened, not laparoscopic. Surgeon told me to take it easy for two weeks then go do what I want. I'm 71 but in good shape. At the end of two weeks I didn't feel like 'go do what I want.' I walked like crazy and in the third week started mild workouts in the gym. Started shooting after four weeks and had no problems whatsoever. I've been at skeet less than two years, and the layoff seemed to help me. I'm shooting better than before surgery.

#10 ·
I had inguinal hernia surgery on July 1st in 2013 and even though I felt much better after a few weeks, I could easily hurt myself by twisting wrong or picking something up heavier than I should. I swore I tore myself open a couple times. Take it easy, there's plenty of time to shoot.

#11 ·
Glad you posted this 39Duck because I have to have umbilical hernia myself. I've had the hernia for years but didn't want to get it repaired until I quit lifting heavy.

My wife had laparoscopic surgery recently to repair a hernia at a previous surgery site and she did really well - back to a normal routine just outside of two weeks.

Hope you're back to normal quickly.

#12 ·
I have to have hand surgery for Dupatrins Contracture some time soon. Its my right hand, which fortunately is worse on my pinky and ring finger then on the other three and does not effect my shooting too much. I plan to have it now that the weather is worse here as I will need to be in Physical Therapy a few times a week for 8 weeks, so I just planned wait it out. Maybe I can learn to reload with only my left hand for a while and who knows maybe I can get the surgeon to adjust my trigger finger so I have a competitive advantage!

Good luck with a full recovery.

Bob

#13 ·
Hi 39 Duck - first, let me add my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Now...let me please add my voice to the others who responded...if the Dr. said 3 weeks, that means 3 weeks. Come on now, what's a week in our modern hectic lives. Slow down, fully recover, the targets will still be there.

{hs#

#14 ·
I hear you guys and the dr told me 2 to 3 weeks off work and so I went on disability and they asked me how long that I needed to be off so I told them 3 weeks. I go back to the dr on the 26Th and he will reevaluate then. So, I'm not going to shoot before my 2 week check up for sure. I'm sure I'll know how I feel by then. Thanks for all the well wishes!

#16 ·
Getting ready to go down that same road soon.........same procedure. Actually starting to hurt some. The year before you retire you always get stuff fixed that you have put off. Plus I might add, burn that sick pay! :wink: :lol:

#19 ·
Customstox said:
I had an Optirectomy and was able to shoot the following day. It is a fairly simple operation that severs your nerve from your eyeball to your rectum and eliminates your $hitty outlook on life. :lol:

Good luck with your recovery.
Dang! I'm glad to know there's a procedure for that. I'm gonna call the doc, Monday and schedule one for my wife. :) :)

#20 ·
Hamltnblue said:
On another note when you talk to the doc, mention that you want to do some shooting. Explain that it's basically some standing around with mild recoil on the shoulder.
just don't do it on your own.
You got the standing around and mild recoil but forgot about the deep BS by your buddies :lol:

#21 ·
Customstox said:
I had an Optirectomy and was able to shoot the following day. It is a fairly simple operation that severs your nerve from your eyeball to your rectum and eliminates your $hitty outlook on life. :lol:

Good luck with your recovery.
We can all use that as we get older and cranky!

#22 ·
I had shoulder surgery and tried to come back too early. Put a pretty good hurtin' on the averages. Only you can know when its time to compete again. Take it slow, you'll be back before you know it. Good luck.

#23 ·
Had the surgery 9 days ago and really improved a lot with almost full range of mobility I just have to be super careful now as I feel better as to not do something stupid and over exert myself. I have a Dr appointment next Monday and I think he'll probably release me to work by sometime next week or the following.

#25 ·
Wow, what did you do to get an umbilical hernia? I just understand you, I understand this state before the operation and after. The main thing is not to move abruptly and do not engage in any sports, there should be a minimum of physical activity. Just many years ago I had an operation on my nose it's certainly not a hernia, but there's nothing pleasant about it either. And I loved to play sports and when I was told that I should live a year without sports, I was shocked. Operation I did here https://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/r ... le-tacoma/ and the recovery period after the operation, my doctors carefully monitored me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.