Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester super x model 1 trap choke

11K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  casonet 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,
Can the above shotgun be used for sporting clays? Does it have to be like the Winchester Super X 3 (SX3)? Or an over/under?
Thank you
Alan

#2 ·
The Super X1 is a great sporting clays gun. It is built better than any modern shotgun and will outlast them all hands down. I assume by "trap" choke you mean full choke. No problem. You can shoot it as is, have it fitted for choke tubes, or have it opened up to modified.

#3 ·
SX-1 is a great gun. Personally, I would find Full Trap choked barrels to be too tight for most sporting clays but getting a set of thin wall screw in chokes will solve that issue handily.

#5 ·
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your prompt replies, I am the proud owner of 4 Super X model 1.
I have 2 full choke and 2 skeet choke. Perhaps the skeet choke unit might be the right choice,If I can get thin wall choke tubes maybe from Briley?
Regards
Alanb

#9 ·
lowgun said:
I would kill for a $150 vent rib modified barrel for my SX1 Trap so I could shoot some sporting clays or skeet. I have no interest in raping my trap full barrel with screw chokes.
Hehehehe...Bill, you only consider it 'raping' cause you are a Winchester collector as is generally true of that breed you value original condition above all else. Many others who shoot these guns don't share that view and would prefer the gun to be more versatile.

Those Full Trap barrels are tighter than a...well, fill in the blank.

#10 ·
I also wouldn`t spoil my SX-1 by having the choke reamed or tubes installed. . Took me quite awhile to get a hold of a SX-1 Trap Gun in excellent condition as most of the ones I came across had a lot of miles on them. . Maybe I got lucky but it made more sense to find a modified choked barrel. .

Found another one today, but I`d have to buy the gun and it`s only a field grade with a full choke barrel and an improved cylinder barrel. . Tried talking him into selling me the improved cyl. barrel but no luck. .

Rod

#11 ·
Yesterday, I bought a plain barrel 28" modifed barrel that should make my SX1 Trap more user friendly on the sporting clays course. As with all Winchester modified barrels, the actual measurement is more like a strong improved cylinder, an ideal situation. Bore is .731, choke is .715, a nice .016 choke. As most of you know, there isn't a normal sporting target that can't be broken with a .016 choke.

#12 ·
I tried again and today and received a pm I can have the barrel. . It'll give me a 3 barrel set. .Trap. . Modified . . Improved Cylinder.. The I/C barrel is vented so it'll match the other two. . Should be able to shoot Trap, Sporting Clays and Skeet with this SX-1 outfit. .

Rod

#13 ·
Ebay seller was trying to sell 3 NIB full trap barrels for $197+ $22 shipping,no takers. Keep an eye open, buy 1, ream it mod, buy 2, get a IM. Don't let any one sell you a used barrel for $200, or put brileys in for $350 after they silver solder and reblue the barrel.

Prices on sx1 parts and guns continue to fall, be patient. People buy a gun from an estate and double/triple their money on you if you let them.

#14 ·
wraco said:
I tried again and today and received a pm I can have the barrel. . It'll give me a 3 barrel set. .Trap. . Modified . . Improved Cylinder.. The I/C barrel is vented so it'll match the other two. . Should be able to shoot Trap, Sporting Clays and Skeet with this SX-1 outfit. .

Rod
I'm sure you can shoot skeet with that IC, but man oh man, the skeet barrel just rolls them up at skeet distances :D

#16 ·
This always happens.

I had Briley massage a 30 inch barrel for me for my "best" Super X1. They set it up as a light modified choke with me then thinking I would have it as an all around shooter for skeet and doves type shooting.

Just the other night I said " Hey I think I am going to go back to Briley and have them set this SX1 barrel up for their choke tubes." I will probably use it more.

Now,,,,,,,, well I haven't decided yet . . . :D

#21 ·
I recently saw two of them in like new condition in the Cabelas Gun Library in Kansas City. Both were priced at $1300 each. Nobody was buying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.