ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 'Improved' RIO 28ga hulls?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mbedit wrote:
Pro-reach is a fine powder for 28ga, but its not necessarily the the best for loading RIO hulls IMO. Alliants data recommends around 16 to 17gr for a 3/4 oz load, and as shown above, pro-reach would require 20 to 21 gr to stack up right.

Personally, I'm just not that comfortable extrapolating out that far based on data provided... especially when the published loads are already pushing 11,000 PSI at 1300fps.

I personally don't ever use more powder to fill a hull in order to get a crimp right on a shell. It is easier to use products on the shot column that will make a good filler. And I load on a progressive at a fairly high rate and most likely am not interested in inserting something like a cheerio in each hull. And I would not feel comfortable trying to extrapolate the possible pressure unless there is a load above what I am looking at.

I am also curious what Clyde liked about the Pro Reach. I have not been able to find any of it for sale or I would have bought some. Now that I look at the loads, I wonder why they do not show any 1200 fps loads. That velocity is pretty much my goal in the sub gauges with the exception of the 410.

I wonder how many rio hulls are needed before they will do some testing. I would be willing to bet we could get some donations on here to mail to them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

that may be a good question to ask them... if they need 50 or so that might be doable, and I know I have at least a dozen laying around here I could donate.

What I did a couple pages back was use the MEC bushing charts to help ID candidate powders that are with-in the range of published loads. In other-words, the bushing determines the volume needed with other components to get a good stackup so you don't need to monkey around with cherrios or overshot cards. Its about finding a "bulky" powder rather than adding more grains. Pro-Reach just wasn't a good match when looking at the data, but it doesn't mean its not perfectly acceptable in tapered hulls like WWAAs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mbedit wrote:
that may be a good question to ask them... if they need 50 or so that might be doable, and I know I have at least a dozen laying around here I could donate.

What I did a couple pages back was use the MEC bushing charts to help ID candidate powders that are with-in the range of published loads. In other-words, the bushing determines the volume needed with other components to get a good stackup so you don't need to monkey around with cherrios or overshot cards. Its about finding a "bulky" powder rather than adding more grains. Pro-Reach just wasn't a good match when looking at the data, but it doesn't mean its not perfectly acceptable in tapered hulls like WWAAs.

Yes, I was off topic, or Rio hulls.
I use and like ProReach because it is virtually perfect for AA HS hulls.
One of the lowest pressure, but highest velocity for that pressure, along with good fit.

Never got into hunting anyting larger than a few pheasents with the 28, but it looks like you guys are on to something with your specialized loads.
Not really into waterfowl, and between age and lack of wild pheasants today, it looks like that has virtually came to an end. (The 4 knee replacements complained a bunch during 4 days of real slim phesant hunting this year) The wobble skeet and trap fields are much less hard on them.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:36 am 
Tournament Grade

It's all good! The interesting thing is pro reach has a burn rate similar to blue dot, and bpi has published blue dot loads that use 21 to 22 grains... But I'm just not comfortable swapping powders based on that alone.... However that does seem like a candidate for testing, though economically, 22 grains of pro reach may cost more than 14 grains of unique or green dot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mbedit, I understand your thought process now. I was jumping to a conclusion that you were not making. I will keep my eyes open for RIO 28 empties for testing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave, pm sent with a contact phone #. I picked up 200 empty Herters 28 ga hulls for you yesterday. Made in Italy. And I got them at Luke. If you are busy, I will drop them off at the gun club in the office with your name on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks much Chic! Good luck on the shoot at Avery!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

mbedit wrote:
Thanks Lionhead! I know you can get overshot cards... but what I think I really rather have is a punch tool that you can make overshot cards with... buying cards seems like getting the fish while a punch seems like learning how to fish.

I'd been looking for such a tool... but hadn't found one for 28 gauge. If anyone has a recommendation and can point me in a direction I'd be keen to see!

A

Here is one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAPER-PUNCH-CI ... 40fe0a9424

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor