Shotgun Forum banner

A400 XCEL 20 Gauge Cycling issue

8K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  lt0026 
#1 ·
I owned one of these guns before and I remember it took a few boxes of stout ammo and leaving the gun stored with the bolt open (i.e. recoil spring compressed) to break it in and after that it was flawless. I purchased a new one recently and I'm having the same cycling problems where the bolt does not go all the way back on target loads. I have shot 100 rounds of buck, slugs, and birdshot field loads through it. I have Beretta oil on the groove between the carrier and bolt head and on the carrier rails. The gun cycles fine down to 1 ounce Kent #6 pheasant loads. But my Estate and Herters 7/8ounce #8 loads short stroke. It often does not eject, almost never cycles the next round fully, and never locks the bolt back on empty.
I do feel a "hitch" in the action when manually cycling. It is at the point where the shell lifter gets activated and raises up. There is a pretty good amount of resistance to overcome. I am wondering if there is anything in the trigger unit I need to be checking. Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
We bought the same gun for my wife last fall. We did have a couple 1200fps load fail to cycle fully, so we switched to AA 1300fps sporting clay shells (we shoot sporting clays) and we never had another Fall to Feed.

Since then I have 2 copy paper boxes full of AA empties. the other day we were shooting trap and tried some 1200fps stuff we had laying around, it performed perfect.

#6 ·
beetle said:
check out this thread for some ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=435740
Thanks. I did notice that the shell lifter was mentioned as an issue, but mine is not stiff and filthy. It just provides a lot of resistance to rearward travel of the bolt carrier. Maybe the angle on the lifter arm needs to be relieved a bit. But that would be something I would hand off to Coles.

#7 ·
I have a followup to my story. I sent the gun to Coles. I was right about the hitch in the action. Some adjustment had to be done to the shell lifter lever where the bolt engages it. Also, some work was done to the gas system, although I don't have the details on that. I am hoping to take the gun out this week for sporting clays. I will see how it shoots. All work done on Beretta warranty.

#9 ·
df said:
Coles is great to del with.
Hope that your gun is good to go now.
Me too. Thanks. I have had good experiences with them the last three times I dealt with them.
On a downer note, I sent my gun in its case with three chokes (one on the barrel, and two in the plastic slots in the case. The gun came home with only two chokes. I called and was told Coles only take guns out of cases, not parts or paperwork. And that they checked the bench and didn't see any chokes. I am out one brand new Beretta Mod choke. Lesson learned on how to pack my gun, but I think that is pretty lame. It's too bad they couldn't lose the IM choke that came with it instead. I don't see me ever using it.

#10 ·
My beretta a400 xcel 20 ga would not cycle 1200 fps ammo. It would cycle 1275 fps ok. I took it all apart cleaned and oiled everything except gas piston and cylinder. Same problem . I drilled out the gas port 2 drill sizes, now it cycled everything. except winchester white box would not lock the bolt back.Drilled 2 more sizes and it has performed 100% about 700 rounds so far perfect. I probably voided my warranty but do not care. ps I hand drilled the port very carefully not to break the bit. Hope this helps I met a lot of people having the same exact problems. I ended up with a #39 drill bit .098

#12 ·
kawasaki said:
My beretta a400 xcel 20 ga would not cycle 1200 fps ammo. It would cycle 1275 fps ok. I took it all apart cleaned and oiled everything except gas piston and cylinder. Same problem . I drilled out the gas port 2 drill sizes, now it cycled everything. except winchester white box would not lock the bolt back.Drilled 2 more sizes and it has performed 100% about 700 rounds so far perfect. I probably voided my warranty but do not care. ps I hand drilled the port very carefully not to break the bit. Hope this helps I met a lot of people having the same exact problems. I ended up with a #39 drill bit .098
What tools did you use for this, What were the steps.

#13 ·
No firearm should require drilling to function new from the factory. Either it wasn't manufactured properly (warranty), poorly maintained or operator error took place. I have one and no problems. Cleaned/lubed out of the box and fine with 1200 fps Win Super X .

#14 ·
lt0026 said:
No firearm should require drilling to function new from the factory. Either it wasn't manufactured properly (warranty), poorly maintained or operator error took place. I have one and no problems. Cleaned/lubed out of the box and fine with 1200 fps Win Super X .
Had a friend with the same issue. Sent to Beretta and they enlarged the gas port.
I did it at home. Flawless performance since.
Do new cars get recalled for a problem?? All the time. Shouldn't happen but it does.

#15 ·
Glad I found this thread! Got a friend with a 20 ga. A400 with the same problem. Poor guy has tried everything short of enlarging the gas port. He is always a comedy routine trying to shoot doubles. He currently has it up for sale. I'll mention this solution to him. Could save his sanity!

#19 ·
Dr Duk said:
lt0026 said:
Warranty work is built into the cost of the gun. Why people don't use it is beyond me. Taking a new gun and putting a drill to it and voiding the warranty makes little sense. And barrels ain't cheap if you bugger the job on your own.
Why send it in if you can fix it yourself?
Because you paid for a warranty if you purchased the gun new and you don't want to void a warranty. And if you screw up it's on you.

#22 ·
Dr Duk said:
lossking said:
I've never enlarged a gas port myself and wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.
Want me to do it for you? :lol:
Some of us may not have the wherewithal to be so cavalier when it comes to doing things about which we know little, if anything.

#23 ·
ChrisLunker said:
I have a followup to my story. I sent the gun to Coles. I was right about the hitch in the action. Some adjustment had to be done to the shell lifter lever where the bolt engages it. Also, some work was done to the gas system, although I don't have the details on that.
That was four years ago, but some are looking for a different answer.

#24 ·
Making a diagnosis over the internet without having the gun in hand is silly. And telling someone (possible untrained) to drill a barrel is even worse without physically having the gun. Smart move letting Cole's (pro's) do what needs to be done. That's what warranty is for. Screw up a $800 barrel with shade tree gunsmithing and that's on you.

#25 ·
lossking said:
I've never enlarged a gas port myself and wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.
Here's the problem. Shotguns should work as promised. If they don't, that is up to the manufacturer to address. The problem with enlarging a gas port is 1) potentially destroying your barrel and 2) clearly destroying your warranty.

I've drilled out over a dozen B-80 / 303 3 inch barrels knowing full well that this is a permanent alteration that makes the barrels suitable for target loads only. 3 inch B-80, 302 / 303 barrels, or Browning B2000 barrels are not supposed to work with target loads.

The $1600 blue monster IS sold as a target gun, however. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/berett ... -114872974 . If yours doesn't function with standard target loads it is a factory defect and it should go to Cole Gunsmithing.

#26 ·
I've saved thousands of $$ buying MEC reloaders and Beretta semi's that clueless people screwed with and gave up. Recently came upon a Beretta A400 xcel 20 gauge. The gas port was totally blocked, recoil spring not properly seated after the owner played with it.They gave up after 50 rounds because of malfunctions. Saved $500 over new. These issues are basic cleaning and adjusting. No shade tree gunsmithing involved. 70% of the problems mentioned on here with semi's are cleaning, maintenance or operator errors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.