ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SA-08 Can't add fresh ammo after first shot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

Esteemed Members

I had a weird thing happen yesterday shooting clays. I loaded 2 shells in to my black SA-08 and pulled a report pair, the second was no bird so I went to load a second shell and shoot the pair again but no go, the carrier was locked and I couldn't load the second shell. I unloaded it by hand, cycled the action and was able to load 2 shells. Tried it again with the same result, the next time however I shot the second round I could load multiple shells again. I tried various versions of this with the same result. The gun was clean and this is the first time I have had the issue. It tried the carrier release button by the trigger (sorry for any incorrect verbiage) and it wouldn't move.

Anyone had these issues before? If so what was the fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: SA-08 Can't add fresh ammo after first shot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Did you try pushing the cut off release on the triggergaurd?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:47 am 
Field Grade

I did indeed, it wouldn't go, I have had this gun for three years, tons of rounds through it, first time I have had this particular problem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hockeyhound wrote:
Esteemed Members

I had a weird thing happen yesterday shooting clays. I loaded 2 shells in to my black SA-08 and pulled a report pair, the second was no bird so I went to load a second shell and shoot the pair again but no go, the carrier was locked and I couldn't load the second shell. I unloaded it by hand, cycled the action and was able to load 2 shells. Tried it again with the same result, the next time however I shot the second round I could load multiple shells again. I tried various versions of this with the same result. The gun was clean and this is the first time I have had the issue. It tried the carrier release button by the trigger (sorry for any incorrect verbiage) and it wouldn't move.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your problem or whether you've got it fixed yet, but it sounds like some foreign object has found its way into the trigger assembly.

I would suggest removing the trigger assembly and soaking it thoroughly in solvent. While soaking it, agitate the trigger assembly to dislodge any foreign objects.

After thorough cleaning, let dry then lubricate lightly with Breakfree CLP or similar and reinstall in the receiver. Good luck.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

If problem persists I would call Weatherby customer service in Paso Robles. They are great to work with. In your case you may not have to send in the whole gun, just the trigger group.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 am 
Field Grade

I've never had a issue with my Weatherby SA08. It's feeds any shell I feed it. I tried to shove 3 shells into the mag last weekend to shoot a double report double at the skeet range and forgot I had my bird plug still in so I could only get 2 shells into the mag.

Is that your issue? You can only fit 2 shells into your mag? Is your plug still in the mag?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:10 pm 
Field Grade

The problem is if I load 2 shells in and only shoot one (as in a no bird in clays etc.) I can't add an additional shell until I fire the last one. I can't push the trigger release until I either cycle the fresh shell out, or fire the single that is in the chamber. It makes it tough shooting dove, duck or pigeon if I take one shot and can't reload on the fly. I will take apart the trigger assembly and see what I can find. I have used the folks at Weatherby before and they are great and if the problem persists I will follow up.

Thanks for the responses, i will let you know how it goes. It may be a week or so as the temps here in AZ are still 105 and now getting muggy.

Best

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

hockeyhound wrote:
The problem is if I load 2 shells in and only shoot one (as in a no bird in clays etc.) I can't add an additional shell until I fire the last one. I can't push the trigger release until I either cycle the fresh shell out, or fire the single that is in the chamber. It makes it tough shooting dove, duck or pigeon if I take one shot and can't reload on the fly. I will take apart the trigger assembly and see what I can find. I have used the folks at Weatherby before and they are great and if the problem persists I will follow up.

Thanks for the responses, i will let you know how it goes. It may be a week or so as the temps here in AZ are still 105 and now getting muggy.

Best

I just read this post. It sounds like the part that should catch the carrier to make the mag cutoff work isn't holding the carrier up.
It seems like you should still be able to push the bolt release button and release the carrier for loading.
Try that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, will try it out tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

It would be nice to know what gauge SA-08 also... I have 3 of them (12, 20, 28), and they are not all the exact same...

While the OP may have shot tons of rounds through the gun and be 100% sure he's performing the magazine loading actions correctly, READERS of this thread who get here while looking for info on their SA-08 (like me) may not be familiar with the slightly wierd magazine carrier function of this gun. So I'm going to post it here, and if the OP is familiar then great, but if it turns out he forgot to press the button that no other shotgun requires you to press while loading the magazine with the bolt closed... then problem solved. In any case, it will be useful for other folks reading this:
================
To Load the Magazine
Keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, and
keep your fingers out of the trigger guard and away from the trigger at all times.
1.Move the manual safety button to the "SAFE" position
(refer to Manual Safety Operation, page 6).
2.Open the bolt (refer to Opening the Bolt, Page 12) and visually check to make sure no
shell is in the receiver ejection port.
3.Close the bolt (refer to Closing the Bolt, Page 13).
4.Referring to Fig. 10, insert desired number of shot shells of the proper gauge/length
(refer to Ammunition, page 7) into the magazine through the loading port by depressing the bolt release button then pushing each shell forward fully into the magazine until it is held in place by the carrier latch.
===========

Again, the SA08 is a bit wierd in how it handles shells from the magazine to the chamber. It's got that carrier lock button on the front of the trigger guard that you need to press to allow the bolt to lock open when you pull it back, BUT pressing that ALSO releases a shell from the magazine back to sit on top of the carrier, just underneath the closed bolt.
My other SA guns don't have anything like it. It's enough that I have 3 dummy rounds that I make my sons practice using to "load a goose round" up with their 20ga gun loaded one in the chamber and one in the mag, so they press that button correctly and can load up a "next round is a goose load" into the mag, then cycle the existing shell out of chamber to get the goose load in.

It does sound to me like some part is jammed, and it's acting as if a shell was moved from the mag onto the carrier, so now the carrier can NOT be lifted up to put a new one into the mag. This ALSO happens if you press the carrier lock button and for some reason the shell in the mag is stuck in there, maybe the little metal piece holding it in is stiff? and it doesn't come back onto the carrier. You'd then be in the position you describe. So I recommend you check the part that holds shells into the magazine and see if that's sticking too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It would be nice if the OP would let us know how it went with his field testing of the recommendations that he said he was going to do a month ago. Feedback is always appreciated.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

hockeyhound wrote:
Esteemed Members

I am resurrecting this thread because the same thing is happening to my SA-08 20 gauge.

After the first shot is fired the carrier becomes locked and you can not load anymore ammo into the magazine unless you press the bolt lease button (not the carrier lock button but the BOLT release button) even though the bolt is not locked back which then frees the carrier and more shells can be added.

On top of that sometimes after a few shots (if the magazine is not empty) a shell gets released from the magazine and then gets stuck under the carrier.

Then other times during a cycling after firing a shot the carrier fails to angle up enough to feed the next shell up into the chamber causing a jam when the bolt starts to come forward.

Finally, the last weird thing its doing is when the gun is unloaded and the bolt is locked back and you press the bolt release button the bolt should then cycle freely however the bolt is locking back after the second cycling.

Anyway the gun is pretty much worthless to me at this point. It seems like there is something wrong with the carrier mechanism and or bolt release..... Ill have to send it in to Weatherby unless anyone has an update on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 pm 
Utility Grade

So for anyone interested in an update.

I sent the gun to Weatherby and they called me today.

They were able to reproduce the problem. The trigger assembly was messed up apparently.

According to the gunsmith, components in the trigger assembly were "marred" and interfering with the bolt release button and carrier.

They replaced the trigger assembly under warranty and test fired the gun with 2 different types of ammo and said the gun was functioning properly again.

They are shipping it back to me tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry for not getting back, i know it's been a while but have had some issues. I sent it back to Weatherby and they could not replicate the issue but cleaned it up and sent it back. I have not put may rounds through it (it's a loaner for company) so not sure if the issue i still around. Great service from Weatherby. Sorry for my lack of decorum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

hockeyhound wrote:
Sorry for not getting back, i know it's been a while but have had some issues. I sent it back to Weatherby and they could not replicate the issue but cleaned it up and sent it back. I have not put may rounds through it (it's a loaner for company) so not sure if the issue i still around. Great service from Weatherby. Sorry for my lack of decorum.

Good on you!
Most people NEVER respond back! {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've been considering a Mossberg SA-20. Is the Mossberg 20 guage operating system the same as Weatherby being described and discussed in this thread?

I seem to recall that the Weatherby and the Mossberg SA 20 are very similar; same manufacturer?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
I've been considering a Mossberg SA-20. Is the Mossberg 20 guage operating system the same as Weatherby being described and discussed in this thread?

I seem to recall that the Weatherby and the Mossberg SA 20 are very similar; same manufacturer?

They are made by different makers. See the following reviews of the SA 20.

http://randywakeman.com/WhytheMossbergSA20istheBest.htm

Here is a direct comparison between the two.

http://randywakeman.com/MossWeatherbyBa ... artOne.htm

http://randywakeman.com/MossWeatherbyBa ... artTwo.htm