ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hog gun question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:58 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

skeeter1804 wrote:
I normally hunt hogs with my .30-06. I just bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag with a scope, what would you consider the effective range of the .44 mag?

I'm good to 100 yards or so with my Super Redhawk .44 Magnum. Out of the box, the single action trigger break was too heavy for my tastes, but use of a Wolff spring kit from Brownell's brought it right down where I wanted: 2 lbs., 10 oz., with no other modifications whatsoever. The supplied Ruger integral rings have done a fine job keeping the 2.5-7 x 28 mm scope mounted in place, with no hint of movement.

I've found the older Winchester Platinum Tip 250 grain factory ammo to shoot inside two inches @ 100 yards from this Ruger from a rest, while my regular "go-to" handload has been the 240 grain Hornady XTP's for years. XTP handloads have done as well as 1-1/2 in. @ 100 yards, with 2 inch five shot groups being realistic.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow, a zombie thread comes back to life, and for the second time!

to the OP's question:
skeeter1804 wrote:
I normally hunt hogs with my .30-06. I just bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag with a scope, what would you consider the effective range of the .44 mag?
As far away as you can put every single shot on an 8" paper plate. The limiting factor is your skill, not the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RMc wrote:
What kind of penetration do you get with those 52 grain soft lead 00B pellets in the gristle shield of a big boar hog?
Some years ago I was at a hunting camp and someone from the group before had left behind most of a box of 45 ACP 230 grain Remington Golden Saber's.

The guy who let us in said that the guy shot 5 times, hit the hog twice and both bullets had balled up in the gristle plate. They were in the bushes with a 175-200 pound hog at 25 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

this was a really great read

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 pm 
Utility Grade

According to me, the effective range of the .44 mag is 100-150yds.