Shotgun Forum banner

best powder for 1 oz skeet loads

19K views 78 replies 48 participants last post by  llc 
#1 ·
Would like some opinions and recipes that people prefer for their 1 oz loads. Using Remington hulls

#4 ·
I know it's old fashioned but Red Dot works for me

#11 ·
You really have not specified what you are trying to do. IF you really do mean skeet then 1 ounce of #9. But if you are recoil sensitive: 7/8 ounce. Just about any powder that will get it up to around 1200 FPS will be fine. There are dozens of them. Do you want cheap, or is that not important? Do you want cheap and load large quantities? Promo. Do you want cheap but not large quantities? Vectan AS. But that depends on where you live and hazmat. At skeet distances about any wad that fits is fine. With primers we are right back to the price issue. If you don't care about price and want ZERO problems in Rem hulls: REM STS. If you do care about price, absolutely not Rem STS. Do you need clean burning for an auto? Do you have concerns about cycling an auto? Keep in mind these choices are inter-related. Some powders will be good with one wad some with other wads because powder density varies. You need to consider if it is realky skeet period, ir you might shoot some trap (or even sporting clays.)

I AM NOT trying to jerk you around. Lots and lots of guys can give you their favorite load and it really will be a good choice FOR THEM. That does not mean it will be good for you.

My apolgies: just looked back at your first post and realized you asked about powder, not load. For 1 ounce I have used Titewad, Clays, Clay Dot, Vectan AS, Vectan Prima V, Vectan GM3, E3, American Select, Red Dot, Promo, WSH, and 700X. They all worked fine. I do have some preferences of some over others. And, I am a piker. I am sure we have members that have used a bigger variety.

#14 ·
Albatros is right, but as he pointed out, you didn't ask for all of the information that you got. It is good advise, however to think about the intended purpose of your load. A whimpy 1 oz skeet load may not suffice for other purposes. While I've loaded Red Dot and Clays for Skeet, I've also loaded 1 oz on top of 22 grains of Green Dot for sporting clays and 5 stand. Both are 1 oz but very different performance wise.

#15 ·
The powder/reloading supplier I go to has nothing marked, you have to ask about each item. Saturday, I asked about some "cheaper" powders he carries in 4lb and 8lb. 700x, clay dot, titewad, and another one that escapes me now were within small change of each other.
If I would have been on the ball, I would have grabbed 4lb of claydot (alliant rebate). I was fuming and fussing and only bought a few things while I was there, including stuff for some friends.
So to recap, you either reload for preference, or cost. Im currently using 700x, and load between 1oz and 7/8oz (I think they call that 24gram) Im happy with the powder. But Alliants rebate would have made clay dot a clear winner.
Another savings that came up was for Cheddite primers. On 5000 quite a savings over Winchester primers.

#17 ·
I've been using Alliant e3 lately, and I'm so happy with it that I bought another jug of it.
15.2 grains e3, Claybuster 1100-12 wads (pink Winchester clone), and one ounce shot in a Remington Gun Club, STS, Nitro27, Clay and Field, or ShurShot hull.
It's easy on the shoulder but it will still crush birds, even at trap handicap distances.

#19 ·
D L Marcum said:
Used 17.3 Clay's from it's inception, (approx.1992), till it became impossible to get a while back. Switched to Clay Dot and have lived happily ever after.

I use Remington hulls exclusively, W-209 primers and XL-1 Down Range wads.

DLM
that is what I roll with for 1 oz loads, except mostly I use old school Winchester AA compression formed hulls.

#20 ·
B.L.E. said:
I've been using Alliant e3 lately, and I'm so happy with it that I bought another jug of it.
15.2 grains e3, Claybuster 1100-12 wads (pink Winchester clone), and one ounce shot in a Remington Gun Club, STS, Nitro27, Clay and Field, or ShurShot hull.
It's easy on the shoulder but it will still crush birds, even at trap handicap distances.
^^^^^
Same for me except I use a Spolar one ounce wad. A great shooting, clean load.

#21 ·
Back when I was shooting skeet the load was,

Remington STS or Winchester AA
Winchester 209 primer
17.5 grs. - 700-X
WAA12SL or CB1100-12 wad
1 oz. #9 magnum shot

or

Federal Gold Medal
Federal 209A
18.0 grs. - 700-X
12S0 or CB2100-12 wad
1 oz. #9 magnum shot

#24 ·
For Win AA-HS hulls or Rem hulls, my ol' favorite loading was Win 209 primers, CB-1100 wad, and either 17 gr. of Red Dot for around 1145 fps, or 18 gr. of Red Dot for around 1200 fps.
(I intermix my Rem and Win hulls and they all load fine.) These are economical, clean-burning and break clays with authority.

#25 ·
I think Titewad is great stuff and is my first choice IF I am putting 1 ounce in AAHS. But for Remington hulls I prefer something a bit bulkier (Clay Dot, Promo, AS, or similar.) I buy my wads by the case and use primarily CB1100 for 1 ounce. With these and Titewad the crimps tend to dish in a Rem hull. Things might fit fine with a different wad- have not tried.

#26 ·
D L Marcum said:
Used 17.3 Clay's from it's inception, (approx.1992), till it became impossible to get a while back. Switched to Clay Dot and have lived happily ever after.

I use Remington hulls exclusively, W-209 primers and XL-1 Down Range wads.

DLM
I use this load , it doesn't kick and crushes targets. It might not work in some semi autos, but it works fine in my old 1100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.