ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fair Chase vs High Fence Debate?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

There is nothing about fair chase in a enclosed area. Where does it stop ? It always comes back to the greed of money ! Almost all of your TV hunting shows are filmed in enclosed areas. Why do think that all the big bucks shot on film are not listed in the records? Its all about the MONEY and the lack of self respect. We need to relish the challenge as much if not more then the headgear. It amazes me at what people will do to get some attention. I have been hunting since I was 8 back in the 60's and I absolutly am not at all impressed with the High Fence Braggers ! When I see these TV hunting hosts at shows signing autographs, it makes me sick to my stomach. There are some high profile hunters out there that do it the right way and we need to recognize them, not the ones taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank. I have way to much respect for the animals, then to raise them in a high fence, take pictures of them for years and create names for them. We had names for our cows also, heck we even went as far as putting numbers on them, whoa theres a idea maybe thats next ! I do not care if thats what the little ego tripping boys want to do but don't stick your chest out in my face, I will embarass you in front of your girlfriends. I wonder sometimes, am I the minority on this debate?

Post subject: Re: Fair Chase vs High Fence Debate?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess it all depends on how large the area in question is....If you are talking about 600 acres, I agree; if you're talking about 60,000 acres, that is a different story.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Haven't found a horn that taste's good yet. The Trophy hunters are ruining a family tradition. Just my honest opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

It is TV. That pretty much says it all. The guys I associate with call them the "Whisper Channels". As far as I can tell most of those shows, especially the Long Range killings shows are just like the NFL. The only reason you should tune in is to see the advertisers so you can studiously avoid their products.

To each their own.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:59 pm 
Crown Grade

myflatline wrote:
Haven't found a horn that taste's good yet. The Trophy hunters are ruining a family tradition. Just my honest opinion.

Since Florida deer are about the size of a Springer Spaniel, your observation would be correct.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

shelly224 wrote:
There is nothing about fair chase in a enclosed area. Where does it stop ?

If it is legal, then so it is, and no one has a right to whine. You need not do it or watch it. It isn't much of a debate, unless you are just bored or peculiarly interested in other people's business.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 am 
Crown Grade

How is enclosed areas any less ethical than using bait, food plots and salt licks, and dogs? That isn't hunting at all; it is merely "deer waiting"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

shelly224 wrote:
I will embarass you in front of your girlfriends. I wonder sometimes, am I the minority on this debate?

I'd say anyone that starts yapping about "I will embarass you in front of your girlfriends" is a big loser in any so-called debate. That's grade-school playground talk, and most grade-schoolers can spell embarrass.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oneounceload wrote:
How is enclosed areas any less ethical than using bait, food plots and salt licks, and dogs? That isn't hunting at all; it is merely "deer waiting"

It all depends whose ox is being gored. Why would the size of the animal be a factor? Should all dog trials be banned? Preserve "hunting"? Driven shoots, tower shoots? Pigeon shoots?

As is, it takes far longer to read the reg book than to clean your deer. Do we have to have a bureaucratic glop of rules for everything? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whatever it is, if you don't like it . . . just don't do it. That generally works. When it was chicken for dinner, my grandfather grabbed one and chopped off its head. That wasn't hunting, but he hardly needed to ask "Mother may I?" when it was food on the table.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Running deer with dogs, thus getting the adrenaline coursing through their veins and making the meat taste like crap just seems like such a waste. YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn’t go on a South Dakota pheasant farm hunt, but great if someone else wants to. Talking pen raised birds, wild is another matter.

Today is teal season in Iowa, I had three broods hatch east of the silos and are on the pond right now. I won’t go out and shoot them, not the kind of hunting I enjoy.

I’m glad everyone doesn’t want to do what I enjoy. If they did I most likely couldn’t afford it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Running deer with dogs, thus getting the adrenaline coursing through their veins and making the meat taste like crap just seems like such a waste. YMMV

As a houndsman for more than 30 years, you are mistaken. If, and that is a big if, the meat is cared for properly it is perfect. This I know for a fact. I dress and clean as well as prepare my own meat. Have never had an issue.

That being said,,those that parade the deer around on the hood of their truck for 8 hours are the exception and braggers/trophy hunters.

Born and raised hunting in Florida with dogs, pushing 60 in age, I think I know what I am talking about.