All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington V3 Tac-13 - short semi-auto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

New shorty from Remington.

13″ LIGHT CONTOUR BARREL
Compact and easy to carry anytime its needed
RELIABLE FEEDING
Gas system optimized to run common light field loads or full power buck and slug and anything in between
LOW RECOIL
Patented Versaport gas system is self regulating and offers very manageable recoil in a compact package

Post subject: Re: Remington V3 Tac-13 - short semi-auto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

You gonna get one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am definitely, as soon as they are available. A V3 PDW will be a nice addition to my 11-87s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am curious about these also. I really enjoy my customized Tac-14 and can quickly and reliably hit with it at reasonable combat distances. The strap is an absolute necessity in semi-auto as it could get away from you very quickly. My only concern is that rare emergency when you needed this thing in a hurry you might not have the time to get your hand into the strap. Several quick blasts might walk it back to the point that you lose fingers. These little shotguns, including the pumps, are really for experienced shooters whos other hobby is weightlifting. They are not for everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I'll have 1... and a second one next year when they release the wood furniture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:44 am 
Field Grade

Banshee wrote:
You gonna get one?

I'd like to buy one :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Give me the V3 gas system paired with the Mossberg double stack shotgun magazine and I’m all over it. For the time being I’ll just sit on the sidelines.

I have a V3 Walnut 28” and love it. The short barrel with the birds head grip looks great. The lack of capacity is my sticking point. Remington will probably come out with a magazine fed version eventually, the Mossberg magazine just looks like a better design to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

The Remington V3 Tac-13 impresses me, because the V3 recoil springs are located in the receiver, not the stock. There will not be a Mossberg 930 Shockwave to compete with it, without a major revision anyway. The Raptor Grip is less than 6" long, far too short to contain the over 12" long action return tube and spring of the Mossberg 930. Without a return spring, a mock-up could only function as a single shot.

Beyond the physical impossibility of a 13" 930 Shockwave being a semi-automatic, a mock-up would be a SBS. It would not eligible to be an AOW because every 930 leaves the factory with a stock. Nor could one use a Mossberg 5500 or Mossberg 9200 as the base semi-automatic firearm, neither having a return spring in the stock, because both models left the factory with stocks. That would make the firearm a SBS, and not eligible to be an AOW.

Oh well, a non-NFA Mossberg 930 Shockwave was a dream that lasted a few minutes until I thought it through. I love my Mossbergs, but bravo, Remington!

To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What about the Benelli M4? Could it work with a shockwave style grip?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
No, the M4 must have the recoil tube and spring to function, and they all leave the factory with a stock. How about a Vinci at twice the cost?

The Remington V3 Tac-13 and the 870 Tac-14 and the Mossberg 590A1 Shockwave are already approved as having a sporting purpose. If we make a firearm like them, we still should get an ATF approval letter if for no other reason than to keep local LE from confiscating it. Or we could tell them that we read on the internet that they are legal...

A Vinci would work (or at least as reliably as an inertia gun without a shoulder pocket behind it could be expected to work), but all of them leave the factory with a stock. Same with a Remington 11-48, all left the factory with stocks.

The whole point is to have a non-NFA gun with a short barrel; otherwise, there are far better AOW options available and they can be concealed. And that does not just mean concealed on the body, because one might want an AOW beside him in a vehicle hidden by a newspaper or whatever. I should remind us that the short-barreled non-NFA guns cannot be concealed lest they be deemed destructive devices without a sporting purpose or AOWs without a paid stamp..

I seriously think that the Remington V3 Tac-13 would be a good motorcycle gun, at least if you have time to stop... :)

To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:02 am 
Diamond Grade

That looks like what I have been looking for to carry in grizzly country.

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shortly after they were introduced I saw a YouTube video of someone with a Mossberg Shockwave. They had installed a Picatinny Rail and a small laser at the rear end of the rail. The laser was easily activated with your thumb. This seems to me to be the safest way to use these types of firearms, this allows the user to keep the firearm low and fire accurately from the hip, just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger! This seems to me to be the most logical way to use these weapons. Any scenario that has the user holding the firearm up in order to sight down the barrel or through a red dot opens that user up to gathering the grip into their nose. Yes, a firm hand can help mitigate the risk, but without a buttstock the firing position is awkward at best.

I am certainly intrigued by all of these firearms, pump, or semi-automatic. I may even get one at some future point, just not now.

As I alluded to earlier... A magazine on one of these seems like a good solution to the capacity problem. The magazine that Mossberg has introduced with the 590M seems like a better magazine than the Remington offering. The Mossberg magazine has greater capacity and is a more compact design. Unfortunately I would not expect Remington to offer a similar design since they have a single stack magazine already available for the pump guns.

I do expect Remington to eventually adapt this firearm to use magazines, but the single stack magazines will get too long if capacity increases very much. Mossberg may eventually offer one of these short firearms in a semi-automatic action, but at present they are behind the curve compared to the V3 gas system. The problem of the spring tube in the buttstock is not impossible to solve, but Mossberg does not seem to be positioned as well as Remington with a solution to this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Adding a magazine to one of these 26" firearms sort of defeats the purpose. Having a protrusion (something sticking out) at roughly 90 degrees is like the difference between a yard stick and a framing square. Anyone who has done much carpentry work knows how awkward it is to store and carry a framing square. Besides, the Remington magazines currently offered for the Tac-14 only hold one more round than the tubular magazine. Mossberg has a double stack version for their shotguns. But is a quick reload really necessary? Most civilian self defense shootings are solved in three or four shots. Common criminals and home invaders are not willing to lay down their lives for the success of the mission. They are not going to take a bullet so that their comrades can walk out with your big screen TV. Real criminals are lazy and want something for little effort and once you start shooting they will scatter like chickens. Your chances of having to reload in a home defense situation are extremely remote. Besides, when firing from cover your quickest reload is to grab another gun. Keep your handgun close by as a backup to your shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 pm 
Field Grade

I follow both Remington and Mossberg on social media and am really surprised at the amount of time they spend marketing these extremely specialized shotguns. On one hand I would love to have one of just for play on the range but on the other I don’t see the practical use.

Where I live there is not a single situation that I can imagine the benefits of having such a small shotgun would be advantageous to another gun or “regular-size” shotgun. Thinking about Doctorduck’s post mentioning using this for hiking near bears seemed very smart for the concealability. If we had bears here I would be on board. Just my .02... probably worth less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

The last thing I would want in a non-NFA "Other"...or for that matter, any 12ga... is a detachable box magazine.

I like the Tac-13 concept much better than the Tac-14 or Shockwave. Let's see how it runs in the wild.

I am looking forward to a Tac-13 with a folding brace & forend with an integrated light and handstop. I could get behind that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree that a box magazine protruding from the firearm defeats its purpose as a concealable PDW. I'm fine with the 5 + 1 capacity for its intended purpose.

Pardon this possibly offensive statement, but firing from the hip is utterly stupid. Hits are made using the sights and I would invest in a RDS before a laser. Sights like these might be a good upgrade. A WML and sling IMO are mandatory.

No doubt there will be effort involved in mastering the Tac-13, but I think the effort will be well worth it. For me, Living in NH and visiting relatives in NY, I can't take an AR or a handgun, but I can take a Tac-13 which will fit fully assembled in my travel duffel. I plan on being an early adopter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

You should be able to make good hits hip shooting at 20 feet and less, practice.

Sights are for distance and exra-fine accuracy, both of which are of limited use in self defense situations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

"Sights are for distance and exra-fine accuracy, both of which are of limited use in self defense situations."

I have no words. Just another reminder why I rarely post here any more.

Over and out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm 
Limited Edition

NH Shooter wrote:
... I plan on being an early adopter.

Please check in again when you have run some shells & have some experience with it; I am interested in your impressions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 am 
Utility Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
You should be able to make good hits hip shooting at 20 feet and less, practice.

Sights are for distance and exra-fine accuracy, both of which are of limited use in self defense situations.

I guess that really depends on what your definition of good hits is.

Shooting my HD shotgun with Federal FC, the buckshot is just coming out of the wad at 20 feet so the pattern is about 1-1/2". I am morally and legally responsible to put those pellets where they need to go.