ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-Shot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello folks,

In England, we are limited to using AAA size shot for hunting deer with a shotgun (In the very limited ways we may use a shotgun). AAA translates to T-Shot.

Anyone have any real world experience of using T-shot for hunting deer?

ATB,

Scrummy

Post subject: Re: T-Shot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:35 am 
Field Grade

Since no one has replied, I'll add my two cents: if you shoot a deer with T shot, you better be darn close and shoot 'em in the head. I know that English deer are different than our American Whitetails, but I always preferred #4 or #0 buck shot for shotgunning deer with my 10 gauge SxS. (FYI - if you can find a box of .24 or .28 lead balls, they can easily be put in normal shotshells) Now that we are no longer able to hunt deer with dogs in my area, I have to use a rifle. I know that isn't much help, but perhaps its a starting place.

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:11 am 
Tournament Grade

No it's a funny rule.

Scrummy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I’ve used ‘T’ shot a fair amount on coyotes, Hevi-shot, and Remington HD. The heavier than lead pellets penetrated very well, shots averaged inside 40 yards.

Not normally a 1st choice for most deer hunting, could make it work though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Sourdough. I shall have to investigate further

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

"T" is buckshot. Just make sure you pattern test in advance to determine the minimum pattern/maximum range. Take into consideration the penetration qualities of lead alloy .20" pellets and direct your pattern core accordingly.

Indeed, BB size lead has long been a popular load used in pursuit of the diminutive Brocket Deer of Central and South America.

Last edited by RMc on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

RMc wrote:
"T" is buckshot. Just make sure you pattern test in advance to determine the minimum pattern/maximum range. Take into consideration the penetration qualities of lead alloy .20" pellets and direct your pattern core accordingly.

Very true buddy! Thinking mainly neck shots to take advantage of softer tissue and pattern density

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes the term "Buckshot" has a broader meaning today, yet the term is still evolving.

Most recently, with the arrival of extremely dense Tungsten Super Shot. "Buckshot" sizes have again expanded to include TSS Sizes as small as #2, (.15") and BB (.18").

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/c ... -hogs-deer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:43 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a question folks,

How come you quite often see fibre wad 00 buck (we call in SG in the UK) but we hardly ever see fibre wad T shot (UK size AAA)?

Anyone got any ideas?

Scrummy