Shotgun Forum banner

Browning 3 shot history, value and age please

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Researcher01 
#1 ·
I have a Browning 3 shot (2 in the magazine and 3 shot written under the forearm on the front side of the wood ) 12 gauge , serial number on the SIDE of the receiver is B27591, no serial number at the shell insertion point on the underside, Barrel has Browning Arms Company St Louis Mo special steel-12 gauge-shells 2 3/4" BP on the side of the chamber not a vented rib but the top of the barrel for the full length has a weavy pattern like on a Remington barrel, the charging handle does NOT have the standard cross hatching for finger grip like other A-5's -- it has vertical file groves identical to a Remington, the safety switch is aft of the trigger but it is round not triangular but has a triple circle pattern on it, it measures an improved choke , stock is a round knob and does have a stock shoulder rubber pad which seems very plyable compared to what I would expect if it is original , The trigger has a strange hole that looks like it would engage with the safety somehow but doesn't , The top of the receiver from the extraction port up looks similar to powder coating --- not polished like normal --- but again, like a Remington , engraving is on the side with the profile picture of Browning . Is this a '40-'42 browning made by Remington and what is the approximate value in what I would grade as 80% - 90 %

#8 ·
That you have a Remington made "American Browning" is proven by the location of the serial number, if you weren't convinced by all of the Remington features. The date of manufacture can be determined by the code on the barrel; Researcher can help you with that.

As for the history of the 3-Shot, the S/V book says it first appears in Browning's 1932 brochure as a response to federal migratory bird regulations. I don't know if that's a misprint because it then cites the 1935 Federal Waterfowl Regulations when Browning included a plug to limit magazine capacity. In 1947 Browning no longer included the 3-Shot in its lineup, but FN continued to produce it into the 1970's.

#9 ·
I am convinced that Remington made the gun . My quest is information ---- it appears that Remington did sell some with the rubber butt pad so mine "may" be original but is surprisingly supple . Where and what are the marks to look for on the barrel ? I'm surprised the serial number didn't do that --- I'm learning all the time ... thank you

#11 ·
Rudolph31, You are DA MAN !!! the codes (which I have now copied for future use) didn't work as those indicators aren't on this barrel --- only a 3 circle cluster with a stem out of the top and DP in a circle . but I called the Remington number you included and they are FAST !!! 1945 is the manufacture of the receiver --- I didn't think to ask about the butt pad , I was so surprised to get an answer so soon ---- grrrrr but at least a bunch of questions have been answered. I was at the Tulsa Gun Show last weekend and purchased it there. It was surprising that as many Browning A5 dealers/sellers as there were, I heard everything from "couldn't be American" to disbelief at several of the Remington points I was seeing as I looked closer (after buying of course) --- anyway, it seems I did ok at $375 . Along the way, I have seen that the Belgian barrels are not approved for steel shot no matter what the choke --- does that sound correct ? Thanks again Rudolph31

#13 ·
Michael,

Glad to hear the folks at Remington are so helpful. As far as dealers not knowing what they're talking about, that's pretty much the norm. The S/V book unraveled the mystery for us fanatics, but it's unrealistic to expect a someone who sells many types to know as much as we do.

No Belgian barrels are approved for steel, and I'm sure that applies to your Remington barrel also. But some of our European friends have no choice but to shoot steel, and they say it's OK as long as it's not choked Full. Their target loads are made of soft steel and evidently don't score the bore or bulge the barrel. I'd probably risk it with a $375 gun.

albanygun said:
I'm guessing Browning made the gun available in 1932 prior to the 1935 law going into effect. You have to be ready for the demands of the market.
Could be, but 3 years is a heck of a lead time.

#15 ·
Regarding 3 years, it appears there were migratory bird acts prior to 1935 (some with Great Britain) and I'm guessing again that notification was given for comments prior to the 1935 Act that the 3 shot limit would be included. In any case, I don't think Browning and FN would make these guns w/o good reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.