Shotgun Forum banner

Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge

452K views 118 replies 35 participants last post by  shovel99 
#1 ·
I purchased this firearm through Davidson's Gallery of Guns. When it arrived I finished breaking it down the rest of the way when I unboxed it. I noticed that on the action rails where the bolt rode that some of the lack had been worn off and it was bare metal. Very small areas. I used Shooter's Grease on these areas as well as where the action bars attached to the action sleeve. There was no packing grease. It looked like the gun may have been broken down and oiled prior to shipping. Everything fit together jsut fine.

I had ordered some Carlson extended sporting clays tubes (SK and LM). The gun will be used primarily for skeet and sub-gauge sporting.

I was not going to spend money on 3 inch mags to break-in this gun. Instead I bought some high speed hunting loads (1425 fps) and some 1 oz loads at 1225 fps. Both were Federals. The high speed is a 3/4 oz load of #7 steel shot. The one ounce loads are #7.5 lead shot.

I put the skeet tube in and headed out to my club. I was alone on the sporting clays course so I had to use the solo feature. Push the button, it beeps three times and throws the birds. I am a premount shooter as the bulk of my shooting is trap. So, the first few stations it threw me off a little pushing the button, feeling like I was rushing to mount the gun. I did recover enough to break 22 of the last 26 targets I shot at.

The first ten shots were the high speed steel loads. The next fifty (for a total of 60 rounds) were the one ounce lead loads. The gun functioned flawlessly. This gun seems to point very naturally for me. If I had to speculate at this moment I would say that I will not change the shims. However, I do want to shoot a couple of hundred skeet targets before I make that final call. I have the G2 in 28 gauge in the 30" sporting model with extended tubes. This gun shoots very well. I have had it for three years and have not changed the shims.

This gun will get a workout through the season. I shoot registered in all three disciplines (trap, skeet, sporting) and wanted to get a 20 gauge for skeet since I had gotten rid of my SKB 85TSS skeet gun (also 20 gauge). I will use this gun for skeet and sporting. I will most likely keep a round count and will report any issues I have with the gun. I will periodically post an update.

See less See more
Reactions: Blockcaver
#2 ·
Thank you for your post!
I just ordered my G2 Bronze in 20 ga. today. I now have something to look forward to with anticipation till it arrives.

I admit it was hard to order what I really wanted instead of "settling" for a lower trim/finish level, or a Mossberg SA-08 (I think that is right), which I believe is the same gun internally.

I am looking forward to your next update posts on your shotgun, as mine will be used for hunting so will only fire a small fraction of the shells that yours will. {hs# I have watched videos that show a simple spring swap that lightens the trigger pull in these guns to a very acceptable level. It looks like I can do it myself without becoming a Bubba and really improve the gun.

#3 ·
The trigger pull is heavy. I have never seen those videos about lightening the pull. Is that on here somewhere or YouTube? Thanks.

#7 ·
I bought the 2 Stock 20 gauge version with the youth and regular stock, 20" barrel and barrel extension. I got it for use as a Rain Gun, Youth Gun and lender. Put one box of heavy loads through it first as recommended in the included instructions and since then it has shot light target loads flawlessly.

Bob

#10 ·
"I'm not sure what to do."

I think if you clean it and it still acts up; I would not hesitate to call Tristar. Your experience runs contrary to mine, and many others who have found the Viper G2 to be very reliable even out of the box.

I personally don't believe it is a cleaning and lubrication issue, but would give that a try first. I would take a pipe cleaner, i.e. the kind with the little embedded wires, and run that through both gas ports first.

If you do call Tristar, let us know what they say. They were very responsive to me when I broke a recoil spring. Not to worry, Tristar stands behind their products.

Good luck!

#11 ·
I will be running some regular sporting loads through mine tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I did not run any three inch through mine and do not intend to. My 28 gauge I just ran a box of hunting loads through it with 1 oz of shot and it has never malfunctioned.

#12 ·
Took the Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge out for a couple of rounds of wobble trap today. It was 33 degrees with a slight drizzle here where I was shooting. I told the guy running the club this morning that I was interested in function testing the gun so I would be loading two shells at a time. He said, "You know what you're doing so have at it..."

I took two boxes of Gun Clubs, the standard 7/8 oz, #8 at 1200 fps. Loaded it up, sent the bird and started firing. It has been more than five years since I shot wobble trap but I could do that under a roof. Did not want to get wet. I had put in the LM tube and had intended to shoot singles. It turned out to be fun (I mean you are shooting right, so going to be fun) and I saw how the gun would move on some of the extreme angles/ After both boxes had been shot, with many targets receiving two shots (if there was a big piece I would shoot at that just to practice really crazy angles), the gun had functioned flawlessly. No misfeeds, misfires or failures to eject. I looked at the counter and saw I had 9 birds left so I grabbed 10 of the ¾ oz #7 steel at 1425 fps and shot those birds. These shells functioned flawlessly as well.

I see a bit of rib when the gun is mounted so it shoots a little high. I have not patterned it but I have shot enough targets in my life that I can pretty much tell what the pattern is doing by the breaks I am getting. Like I said I want to shoot several rounds of skeet before I try any changes. I think the pattern is probably 70/30 and pretty much centered. Gun fits great (as does my 28 gauge).

I did not clean the gun after those initial 60 rounds. I will probably open it up and see what it looks like. But the way it functioned and the distance it was shucking the shells right now dirt is not an issue. I really like this little gun. Cannot wait to shoot skeet with it.

I am probably going to shoot it New Year's Day and will let you know how it did. Right now with this simple design I am not seeing how anything could really go wrong. Maybe get a gas port a little plugged or something.

I will make a remark about the trigger. Sitting in my gun room, dry firing the gun it does have a heavy trigger. Not extreme but heavier than many like on a target gun. I learned a long time ago to not think about the trigger pull and I must say that while I only broke about 35 out of 50 on wobble trap with this gun, none of the misses were due to the trigger. Most of them were a bad move on my part. The gun is very light and I swung it too quickly on most of those misses. But when I am shooting I do not notice the trigger. After some skeet I will decide but right now I think it will smooth out. It breaks crisp. I think that trigger return spring will begin to lighten up a little.

The upshot is that I really like the gun. I like the looks. The lines are clean and the wood is beautiful for a gun I paid less than $500 to buy. Like I said the design is so simple that there is not much that can really go wrong with these guns. I think it will be just fine.

#13 ·
That's what I am talking about! Good to hear that the little G2 finally got its mojo working properly. I suspect your troubles are over.

I do recommend you register it with Tristar in case you need any parts or help, it makes the process quicker. Have fun!

#16 ·
cynergygoon said:
I've got 50 3" and 100 1425fps shell's through it. Cycles all of them fine but still won't cycle a target load. I won't be around the gun for a few day's unfortunately so cleaning it again is not an option right now.
What brand, type, and loading specs are these target shells that won't work? Some shells have a bad reputation for sticking in the chamber.

Also, have YOU tried shooting these shells, or has it been only your son that they won't work for? It could be he's not loading them fully into the magazine, or that he's not holding the gun firmly against his shoulder and leaning into the gun when shooting the gun.

Also make sure the gun is properly assembled, the forend cap is on tight, and the gas ports in the barrel are COMPLETELY open. Last, but not least, lubricate the bolt rails in the receiver, and light coating on the outside of the magazine tube.

EDIT: If the bolt doesn't even try to move, it's probably either clogged gas ports or gun not assembled properly.

Reactions: fmuguira
#18 ·
Put another 30 rounds through it. The first 25 were the white box field and range. These are 1oz #8 shot at 1165 fps. They functioned flawlessly. No issues of any kind. Loaded two at a time on wobble trap for quick follow up on a miss. Then I had 5 shells left in the box of #7 steel, 3/4 oz at 1425. These functioned flawlessly as well. 150 rounds is not a torture test by any stretch but that is four different loads at three different weights and four different speeds that have been flawless. And remember I shot no 3" loads at all.

#20 ·
cynergygoon wrote:
I've got 50 3" and 100 1425fps shell's through it. Cycles all of them fine but still won't cycle a target load. I won't be around the gun for a few day's unfortunately so cleaning it again is not an option right now.

What brand, type, and loading specs are these target shells that won't work? Some shells have a bad reputation for sticking in the chamber.

Also, have YOU tried shooting these shells, or has it been only your son that they won't work for? It could be he's not loading them fully into the magazine, or that he's not holding the gun firmly against his shoulder and leaning into the gun when shooting the gun.

Also make sure the gun is properly assembled, the forend cap is on tight, and the gas ports in the barrel are COMPLETELY open. Last, but not least, lubricate the bolt rails in the receiver, and light coating on the outside of the magazine tube.

EDIT: If the bolt doesn't even try to move, it's probably either clogged gas ports or gun not assembled properly.

I've been shooting Winchester and federal 1200 fps 7/8 ounce loads through it. Now we are trying Remington gun clubs and so far they have worked. I'm unable to shoot right now because of having a port put in so my daughter has been shooting the heavy stuff and my son shoots the light shell's. I'm right beside them as all this is happening. Like I said in my previous comment I cleaned the gun again (used different oil this time) just like I had before. It's cycled 5 of the gun clubs so we were happy. I hope for them to get to shoot soon and see what it does. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the help.

#21 ·
I bought a Bronze 20.ga a couple weeks ago. To date about 400 rounds through it. Functions 100% with Gun clubs and my 1200 fps reloads with Intl Clays and Unique powder. The gun will still not function with Federal Top Gun target loads. They will not eject at all or get trapped in the ejection port. Trigger as others have posted is heavy(7+ lbs)and changing the spring is no help.

#22 ·
TriStar 28 ga Bronze in Saskatchewan Oct 2018 ... Shooting #6 Federal Steel shot. Not one misfire and plenty of dead ducks. No more cripples than a 12 bore... Gun is awesome. I freakin love the gun. No complaints here. Shoots EVERYTHING I fed it too. I reload all my 28 ga skeet loads and I have fed this gun some "light powder drop" loads and it cycles them fine. I can see a bit of a difference between this gun and a Beretta A400 but not enough to pay $700 xtra bucks for...I love my Turkish feather and skeet duster:)

#23 ·
sprighunter said:
TriStar 28 ga Bronze in Saskatchewan Oct 2018 ... Shooting #6 Federal Steel shot. Not one misfire and plenty of dead ducks. No more cripples than a 12 bore... Gun is awesome. I freakin love the gun. No complaints here. Shoots EVERYTHING I fed it too. I reload all my 28 ga skeet loads and I have fed this gun some "light powder drop" loads and it cycles them fine. I can see a bit of a difference between this gun and a Beretta A400 but not enough to pay $700 xtra bucks for...I love my Turkish feather and skeet duster:)
Where do you find steel or no tox 28 gage shells?

#24 ·
I just received my 20 gauge. Disassembled, wiped everything off, CLP to the piston and mag tube and light synthetic oil to everything else.

First shots will be tomorrow. Something to look forward to.
Also ordered the "trigger pull lightening" spring. Installing that is one more thing to look forward to. :D

#25 ·
Neanderthal said:
I just received my 20 gauge. Disassembled, wiped everything off, CLP to the piston and mag tube and light synthetic oil to everything else.

First shots will be tomorrow. Something to look forward to.
Also ordered the "trigger pull lightening" spring. Installing that is one more thing to look forward to. :D
My 20 gage Bronze will not hold the weight of the gun without firing. I have no trigger gage. I guess my trigger is ok as it never really bothered me but lots do seem to think too heavy. The gun weighs around 6.5 pounds. So can you support the full weight of the gun without tripping the hammer?