Shotgun Forum banner

grizzly vs slug or grizzly vs bullet

48K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  jpickar 
#1 ·
what will take that beast down quicker when it suddenly decides to turn nasty within 100 yards? a 30 cal bullet or 12 gauge slug?

#52 ·
Consistent?
The town that hosts the most polar bears in the world, Churchill, Manitoba, has had two people killed by polar bears in almost 300 years [source: Polar Bears International]. The first attack took place after several teenagers came upon a bear and started throwing rocks at it. The second attack was on a man who had meat in his pockets and happened to come upon a hungry bear.

#53 ·
I had a friend that lived in Colorado that was killed and fed on by a Black Bear. Are Black Bear harmless? Cherry picking does not equal proof. Game and Fish Wardens as I have read are often issued Brenneke slugs for their 12 gauge shotguns that they are some times called upon to dispatch problem bears with. If you want to nit pick about words then we can fight about it if you are that type of person Randy. Just because I have a few posts does not mean I have not been shooting and hunting for most of my 69 years from Wyoming to Pennsylvania.

Rocky

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

#54 ·
RandyWakeman said:
paparockcal said:
As to those who are putting down the 12 ga, slug I would remind you the original post was
from 8-1/2 years ago.
But the bears haven't changed much.

FWIW, I agree with Randy. Stopping a charge involves damaging something in the central nervous system. No amount of energy transfer, caliber, blood loss or tissue damage will stop the animal before it can get you. Only central nervous system damage will bring things to a halt and the best way to accomplish that is through penetration.

#55 ·
Zbigniew said:
RandyWakeman said:
paparockcal said:
As to those who are putting down the 12 ga, slug I would remind you the original post was
from 8-1/2 years ago.
But the bears haven't changed much.

FWIW, I agree with Randy. Stopping a charge involves damaging something in the central nervous system. No amount of energy transfer, caliber, blood loss or tissue damage will stop the animal before it can get you. Only central nervous system damage will bring things to a halt and the best way to accomplish that is through penetration.
Stopping a charge also involves braking bones like shoulders, spine, and pelvis as a controlled expansion or hard cast heat treated semi-solid slug/bullet travels the length of an animal to hopefully exit allowing for more rounds to follow the first. That is why the Montana Wardens went to carrying Randy Garrett 330gr .44 mag Hammerheads in their .44 Ruger handguns. It is why I carried my custom .375 H&H Magnum rifle with Nosler Partition or A-frame bullets when hunting the blow down timber of Western Wyoming and those same Randy Garrett rounds in my Ruger Super RedHawk. But I would not feel under gunned carrying an 8 shot pump 12 gauge to my friend's cabin out house loaded with 870gr. heat treated slugs either. We all have our own opinions.

As to the bears, the grizzlies where I used to hunt and where a Wyoming hunting guide was killed not long ago are the younger grizzlies that have been driven out of Yellowstone Park by the larger and more dominate males so some seem to have a mad on perhaps for having their rears whipped by those same more dominate bores. Anyway, I like seeing bears but I don't trust them as they are so unpredictable. As an old sourdough once said the only thing predictable about bears is their unpredictability. That and the Wyoming Game Dept. goes by if you shoot one you better have scratches on you or you are in DEEP TROUBLE!

#56 ·
Bear threads are always a big thing. The best gun for the job is the one you have in your hands and shoot the best. I live in griz country here in northwest MT. My if I might run into one gun is my S&W 44 mag. A double action is a better choice than a single action. If on meat back packing duty a 870 with slugs is best.
But like I said the one in your hands that you shoot well is the best one. My youngest son is a bow hunter and was hunting black bear a couple years ago and shot one twice fatally at 15 yards. He set his bow down to catch the dying bear on his phone. At the same time he grabbed his Springfield XDS in 45acp out of his pocket. AT the same time the bear charged. He literally had time for two quick shots. The first a miss, the second a hit right between the eyes at 5 feet. The bear fell hat his feet. He had to jump back so the bear didn't hit him.
Now he carries a Kimber 10mm cocked and locked IN HAND whole packing out meat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.